Grateful thanks suffolk* sue

Offline ComposeMail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gooch
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 January 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suffolk* Sue,

The 1926 Marriage Cert arrived today.   It is the right one!   There is no clue on the Cert as to why the marriage was so late.   Robert Charles Gooch, age 58, is described as a Bachelor, and Margaret Murry, age 57, as a Spinster.   Robert is described as a Restaurant Proprietor (presumably he took this up when he retired out of the police force).

The current practise is to describe a person with a previous marriage as "divorced'.   Was that the practise also back in 1926?

Or maybe it was a problem of religion.   Margaret was definitely a Catholic, and the family memory says Robert was non-Catholic.

What do you think?

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 January 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Divorce wasn't always easy then, and to some extent frowned on.
Margaret was probably brought up by parents and church to believe
divorce was a sin, and perhaps chose the lesser 'sin' while waiting
for a husband to die.

Also, possibly, marrying a divorcee might not have improved Robert's
career chances with the police.

There may have been religious issues about a non-Catholic marrying
a Catholic, which were not resolved until later in their lives.

We can only guess I suppose. Thankfully we now live in slightly more
enlightened times.

Offline ComposeMail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 January 11 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thoughts veeblevort - thank you for that.

Offline teepee1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Gladys Murthwaite (nee Gooch) is my Grandmother - James Murthwaite was her husband - left her when my mum was small - Gladys never remarried - my mum remembers walking past pawn shop in Warbreck Moor and seeing all their furniture in the window!  - Gladys had 3 children Sid, Enid and Doris - Doris being my mother. Gran remembers the zeppelins bombing England and the pilots of the shot down airships only being young lads.

My Gran lived in Aintree and worked at Horse Race meetings all over the country as a result my mum stayed with her aunt in Crosby - can't remember her name but she was married to Mario. Remember Grans brother Sid and Aunty Ethel who lived in Bootle - lost her husband in the war and never remarried - One of Grans Brothers Sid is the father of the famous English Cricketer Graham Gooch.

Sid has 3 children, Enid also has 3 and Doris 4 - if you want any other information am happy to email

Offline ComposeMail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Lovely surprise to get your information.    Thank you so much.   My apologies for delay in getting back to you.   The storms over here Tuesday night brought down the telephone cables, and I rely on the phone for my broadband.   However glad to say we got the phone back this afternoon.

And now I have a lot of questions for you!   

Your mum's aunt must have been Violet Priscilla Gooch, born 1897.   She married Mario I. Cerutti in 1917.   

You mention 'one of Grans brothers Sid'.   I assume this was Walter Sidney Gooch who was born in 1904?   When was his son (the cricketer Graham) born?

Your Aunty Ethel - I assume you mean Grand Aunt, i.e. your Gran's sister.   Ethel Maud was married to William Christopher Oldfield.   They came to visit us in Dublin when I was a small child.   Do you have any information on when William died in the war?   Do you know what regiment he was in?   Did they have any children?

I had another Subject on this forum "The Child Who Died In The Fire", but so far have received no real information.   My mother told me that one of the Gooch children died in a fire (I am almost sure it was one of the Gooch children).   The story was that her parents left her at home in her cot whilst they went to the cinema.   I think it was a female child.   I assumed the child would have been one your Gran's siblings.   Do you have any information?   

Your Gran's mum was Margaret Murray, born in Dublin.   One of her sisters was Mary Murray, and she was my maternal great grandmother.

Offline Niki Fearns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 November 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

My great grandfather was Victor (Pop) Gooch brother to Sid, Gladys, Ethel etc

My Nan, Joyce,  is his daughter and turns 90 in April

I’d love any information you have as I’d love to trace her ancestry as a 90th birthday gift

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 November 19 22:47 GMT (UK) »
ComposeMail (the original poster) hasn't been online since December 2014.

If his old email is still active, he may get a notification of your reply.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ComposeMail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niki Fearns,

Starting with Victor, i.e. James Victor Gooch, born Abbots Langley, Herts in 1899, died 1977 in Liverpool.   Married in 1928 to Florence M. Black, in Liverpool.

His brothers & sisters were:
Charles William, born 1890 at St Peter Hungate, Norwich

Margaret Florence, born 1892 in the Reg. district of Hemel Hempstead, Herts;   Married Herbert Knight in 1916 in Reg district of Southwark, London

Ethel Maud, born 1894 in Chorleywood, Herts.   Married William Christopher Oldfield, a wood machinist, in 1927 in Liverpool.   Ethel became a tailoress, and she died in 1964, age 77, a widow, in Manchester.

Edwin Murray Gooch, born 1896 in Reg district of Watford, Herts.   Married Florence White in 1918 in Reg district of Bishops Stortford.

Violet Princilla, born 1897 in Reg district of Watford.   Married Mario I. Cerutti in 1917.

Gladys May, born 1901 in Reg district of Watford.   Married James Murtwaite in 1924 in Liverpool.

Elaine Rachel (Aline, Eileen), born 1902 in Reg district of Watford.   Married James William Gorst in 1937 in Reg district of Liverpool North.   Elaine died in 1970 in Crosby.

Walter Sidney, born 1904 in Reg district of Watford.   Married Maude Richardson in 1931 in Liverpool.   Died 1975 in Liverpool.

Vera Teresa, born 1906 in the Reg district of Hereford, Herts.   Married Bernard O'Hara in 1928 in Liverpool.   It appears they had no children.   Vera died in 1975 in Liverpool.

Lilian Dorothy, born 1910 in Little Hadham.   Died 1910, aged 3 months and 3 weeks.

The 1911 Census shows Charles William and Ethel Maud living in Liverpool with their aunt and uncle Teresa Mason (nee Murray) and James Mason.
------

The Gooch family's parents were Robert Charles Gooch, and Margaret Murray.

Robert Charles Gooch was born 1866 in sub-district of Lowestoft, Suffolk.   His home was at Blundeston, Suffolk.   His father was Charles Gooch, a fisherman, and his mother was Charlotte Youngs.   Robert Charles Gooch married Margaret Murray in 1926 at the Registry Office in Manchester South.   Robert died in 1941, age 75, in Great Crosby, Lancs.    Robert's occupation was shown as Police Constable in both the 1901 and 1911 census, living at Abbots Langley, and Little Hadden.  His occupation when he married in 1926 was shown as Restaurant Proprietor.

Margaret Murray was born at 25 Clarence Street in Dublin in 1867.  She died in 1944, age 77, in Great Crosby, Lancs.   Her parents were Edward Murray and Alice Hayden.   Edward Murray's occupation was 'car owner', i.e. he had a taxi-type business in Dublin.   Edward Murray and Alice Hayden, and 3 of their children who died young, are buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin.   Edward had this grave with a very fancy headstone erected in memory of his mother Mary who died in 1855.   My grandmother always looked after this grave and, after she died, my sisters and I took on the responsibility - so we visit the grave twice a year and keep it in good condition.   Edward Murray and Alice Hayden were my great-great grandparents.

Hope this is of help.