Author Topic: Home Children  (Read 30453 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BHC-Elijah & Edward Arnold parents Elizabeth Merchant / Edwin Arnold
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 January 11 05:36 GMT (UK) »
I like to have as much information as possible posted for the BHC so am posting what I find...

Elijah in 1911 with the Allins http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=136870
Edward Arnold in 1911  Kitley Leeds b. circa 1894  a domestic in the Mitchell household
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=44237
Note that Valerie Pratt is with uncle a few households prior!

He seems to have been called Edwin, as was the father in 1901 census Chatham
ARNOLD, Edwin Head 1872
ARNOLD, Elizabeth 36 1865 Leicester
ARNOLD, Peaney 13 1888 Millwall London
ARNOLD, Charity 1892
ARNOLD, Edwin  1895
ARNOLD, Elijah 1896
ARNOLD, George 3 1898
ARNOLD, Tessiah baby ( I imagine Keziah) 1901

Are these other children accounted for?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marraige Look-Ups. Deaths_a Bonus.
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 January 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello vbain and JJ,
Happy New Year to you both. And thankyou for your replies.

JJ--- I did not know that Elijah was with the Allins. Smashing.
On his Army papers he states himself as being a Farmer and I am trying to access land records at present. He marries a Hazel Crosset 5 Sep 1918 Oxford County, Ontario. Her parents were; Lewis Crossett and Gertrude Alberta Price. Elijah says he is from Tillsonburg.
I have no death entry for either of them.  The 1911c places them in Northumberland East, Ontario the 1901c Elgin East, Ontario.

I found an entry for Edward, residing with James and Marion Mitchell in Kitley twp, Leeds County (91) Sub-district/10 page 7, but didn`t see a V Pratt, what am I like !! I will shortly go back into the websites you have both posted and look much more carefully.
 Her Father is Ebeneezer. Mother Adeline Soper. They married 21 Sep 1915 Brockville.  Deaths??
 Edward arrived in Port Halifax , 27 March 1892. Vessel Carthagian with a group of Barnados children.
You are right Edward  Merchant was born Edwin as was his Father, he used both.    Couldn`t find him in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces as I did so for Elijah and Robert Welch.

Peaney/Reaney?___1888 Millwall London_cannot find her at all and wondered if this was Elizabeth`s  daughter Althenia? At one point Althenia does go into Barnados and is renamed Obinia Welch_she turns up in the 1911c, as Althenia in Chatham Kent. There have been no GRO vital records found for any of these girls names.

Faith Hope Charity Brown is Liz daughter from a previous relationship. Liked to be known as Charity-eventually ends up in Derby married to a Thomas Bagshaw, no death found for her yet.

George is William George who was admitted into Dr Barnados, no date, left in 1812_Canada?? Don`t know at the moment.  Although I am currently chasing a few leads on him at present with a marraige in Kent.

Tessiah is Keziah. Born 4 March 1901 Chatham Kent____Departed Liverpool 28 July 1910 with some Barnados children. On the Tunisian Ship. Landing at Montreal Canada on 5 Aug 1910- curtesy of a link on JJs boards. Bound for Toronto
But, not knowing if she was in Barnados care or not I do recall, guess, that they did help to repatriate and reunite families.? She marries Charles Edward Randles 2 Dec 1920 Toronto.
She is buried along with Charles, both use thier middle names. in Glen Elbe Cemetary Leeds County, Younge, Rear Township. Possible death for Kezia is 20 July 1984 Brockville.

I cannot say for certainty that all the above findings are accurate at the moment.
John Welch, formerly Welsh, was put into Barnados in 1890 and sailed with his brother Robert to Port Halifax arriving 27 March 1892. He was Born in Holloway Islington 1886 and that is all I have for him.

All children have the same Mother. She has 12 children to date. Many seem to go on in life and give thier Mother a different surname or rename her altogether adding to the confusion in tracking thier respective records.

I am not expecting anyone to do my researching for me, but I am grateful in what you have already discovered and all of the useful websites given, which I shall follow up. 
Thankyou.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Elijah Arnold (= Hazel Crossett) / parents Edwin & Elizabeth
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to all...another year blasted by...
Stomper, may I ask who the other 2 children were? are you a descendant, I imagine...?
The lack of information for the mother's surname is not unusual. I did not grasp my mother's surname until I was older, so imagine these little ones who have not heard the name in many years between emigration and their marriages, etc. You hadn't mentioned Welsh, I guess this is why I could not find their births?
Don't be afraid to tell us a lot about what you've already dug up as it saves time and also may find you descendants galore sometime in the future...
also as you have seen we like to have a well rounded informative thread on Home Children. They deserve it...
J.J. ( off to dig again for John & Robert Welch/ Welsh & King for the latter )

Elijah was wounded in 1915 ...was looking for some children for them when I found this. 
http://sites.google.com/site/elginbranchogs/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers/st-thomas-newspapers/stj-1915-may-jun
If you could afford it, the full military file is available & would prove quite interesting I am sure. What you see online are signup agreements
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is another connection to '55 Markham St Toronto' .... it is the Attestation Form for a Cecil Wilson Anthony.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/well1/212234a.gif&id_nbr=11078

He would be the sister of Hannah Anthony who married a Robert Welch. The date page is missing from Ancestry but they have indexed the marriage as 09 Aug 1904. Robert's father is given as Robert Welch, no mother is given. Hannah's parents are Frank Anthony and Emily Marlatt. Added: no ages were given for the couple and they were both residents of Orangeville (near Toronto).

You can find Cecil and Hannah with their parents in the 1901 Census at this link ...

http://automatedgenealogy.com/ 

This couple had 3 children prior to the 1911 Census. Births are not yet available to the public beyond 1911 although a new year is added annually.

Bouncing screen .... will continue

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Continuing ...

The children ....

Frank Welsh (sic) b. 10 May 1905 to parents Robert Welsh and Hannah Anthony in Orangeville (this is near Toronto)

Emma Cecelia (?) Welch b. 01 Nov 1906 and died at age 4 days. She was b. in Orangeville to parents Robert Welch and Hannah Anthony

Myrtle Eveline Welch b. 29 Feb 1908 and died 17 Jul 1910. She was b. in Toronto to parents Robert Welch and Hannah Anthony.

It is my personal policy to not put causes of death on the public board for privacy reasons so I will send these by Personal Message.

Robert gives his occupation as Butcher on his Attestation Form .... he gives the same occupation for the birth of Emma.

Continuing again.....
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I think this is Robert's family in the 1911 Census as 'Walsh' .... click on split screen at the top to see the original image - it gives much more information than the transcription.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=83401&highlight=12&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Hanah+Walsh

If your local library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition you should be able to access the original images of the marriage, births and deaths I posted earlier. (also available through ancestry.ca or the World Wide sub)

I have had no luck with John to this point.

Re deaths: Ontario deaths are only available to the public up to about 1936 and most of your family members probably lived beyond this time. Thus you will need to seek your info from other sources such as newspaper obits.

You asked a Q about Montreal early in the thread ... Montreal is a port city in the Province of Quebec. Once landed, folks usually then travelled by train to their ultimate destination.

Polarbear  :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Reply # 4 .....

I forgot to mention something about the 1911 Census I posted earlier for Robert 'Walsh'.

I noted that he gave an immmigration date of 1906 whereas you have Robert and John on a ship in 1892. I'd like to add that from my own family experience with the 1911 Census in particular there seems to have been some confusion about what that question meant and my family put the year they moved into the house they were at when the census was taken. The 1906 date would go with a move from Orangeville to Toronto prior to the birth of Myrtle so I wouldn't count this family out based on that info alone.

Hope this Robert and family turn out to be yours  :)

Polarbear

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Welch / Welsh / King
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Note that areas in Orange are probably not the right family
Well done, P.B....I got involved with life and started the New Year with a defrosted freezer and a decent meal for the family, but didn't get back to the fellows!!! Yes father was also Robert
A John Welch b. London England, changed to Welsh, married to a Clara? Living Stratford birth July 1 1885
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc017/667659a.gif
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=305911
still looking through more cef...will add to this reply if I find any more
Found no others... and no luck finding him on census...

Happy New Year to all
Looked in CARDWELL since marriage witnesses were in Mono....
a Robert Welsh in 1901 a domestic,  date is close.... age is off and says born Ont.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=32888&highlight=3

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 January 11 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks J. J. and Happy New Year  :).

Strange that John's name was overwritten as Welsh when he clearly signed his name as Welch.

I have found a marriage for a John Welch to a Clara Adams but he gives his parents as John Welch and Emma Munroe. No way to know if this Clara is the one in the CEF papers though.

Polarbear