Author Topic: St Cuthberts Cemetery Hawick Rox. Scot  (Read 4226 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Cuthberts Cemetery Hawick Rox. Scot
« on: Wednesday 22 December 10 06:50 GMT (UK) »
I understand that there is a burial ground at St Cuthberts,in Hawick...
Does anyone know when it 1st went into use,even aprox ??
Next question...Is there a M.I. book availiable for this church yard. ??
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Cuthberts Cemetery Hawick Rox. Scot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
ajbc  I have a copy of St Marys and St Cuthberts 1537-2008 although most are in the 1800s upwards. I cant remember where exactly i acquired it but could do a quick check seeing its Xmas
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
     Why,thank you so much.
I am very interested when St Cuthberts began burials and why some might have used it rather than St Mary's and/or Wellogate.
I have the other 3 ...Wellogate,St.Mary's and Wilton, M.I. and would have thought that St Cuthberts would be separate from St Mary's in that new edition....is it book or CD.
.I have so many Hawick names I always hesitate to have anyone do look ups.
     My oddball names are not bad..like Waldie,Tinline,Kersall...but then I get to Richardson,Miller,Scott,Armstrong....it becomes to much.
Waldie would be appreciated.
     I see also that you are researching Turnbull and Weddall/Waddell.
I can give you the little I have onto your offering plate...
Margaret Turnbull born c1735 was the dau of William Turnbull married Robert Tinline Jun 21 1760 in Hawick

My Waddell were from Berwick area..John Waddell born c 1763 marr Isabel Peacock 1786 Westruther.they had 5 known children between 1787 & 1798
It appears these Waddells stayed pretty well in and about Berwickshire.
If interested an PM you deatails
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 December 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Its a 12 page paper copy but there are no Tinlines Waldies or Kersalls. There are 4 Richardsons 1 miller about 30 Scotts and 3 Armstrongs.
I have been tranbscribing Hopkirk and there are 2 Waldies 1. a a Margaret Waldie died 1931 aged 80yrs married to a Walter Douglas and a farmer John Waldie died 1914 with a Christine Laidlaw as a wife. There are no Kersalls but 11 armstrongs 2 richardsons and a thousand Scotts !! Send me a PM is you want something checked.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 December 10 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas.....and Thanks Alan...Sent you a PM...

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 12 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan!

I have just come across this posting, and hope I am not being too presumptuous with my request for your help.

I have been unable to find the death of my gr gr gr Grandfather, Alexander Campbell. I have him on the 1841 Census living in St Cuthberts. He died before the 1851 Census and his wife was still living in St Cuthberts. From afar, it would seem logical that there is a strong chance he would be buried in the St Cuthberts Cemetery. I note you have records for that cemetery and that time frame. (There is also a chance his father, Duncan Campbell, could be buried there as well. His age is given as 50 on the 1841 census.)

When you have a "spare" minute or two, I was wondering if you would be kind enough to do a lookup for me.

If I am asking too much of you and you are unable to do so, I will understand.

Warmest Regards

Elsie

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 February 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
elsie ellen,  sorry there is only one Campbell and thats a john who died in the 1920s.
sorry i cant help.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 February 12 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alan. :)

My search continues ... at the very least, I can now eliminate St Cuthbert's as his last resting place.

Appreciate your help.

Elsie