Author Topic: Identify a Soldier  (Read 7053 times)

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify a Soldier
« on: Wednesday 22 December 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone out there know this Uniform at all? All i know is that my Great Granfather lived in Aldershot area and served in both WW1 and 2 and this is him before leaving for France in WW1, I am currently serving in 6 Rifles. Thanks for any comments. Rfn Du Laic

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Identify a Soldier
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
He looks to me more like a member of a civilian band than a soldier - perhaps a farewell pic before joining up.
A

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, after looking at pages of cap badges and asking colleagues, it could be the case. He was a railwayman too, i had a brief look at Aldershot area brass bands linked to the railways but nothing right away. Thankyou for your comment

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
hi rfn du laic
why not post his name and lets see if we can find his ww1 record or at best his medal card.
you say your in the 6 rifles are you home on leave ??
trevor

ps just being nosey but have you been in the current conflict
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor thanks for input.

I dont have his number, he and his son and wife died just after the war and mother made orphan so we dont know. I have his daughters service or depot  number, she was a WRAF?  Can you make much out of this?

6 is Territorial. I have not but we have, a large cohort is in prep from our Btn right now god bless them, of course I cannot say more.

Luke

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
me again
as you say god bless all who serve especially under such conditions as they face at this time it wouldn,t be so bad if we weren,t there just to help the yanks out as normal ,i hope all of them realise just how much we think about them all i,m sure i speak for all right minded people .
will see if i caan fathom something out for gt grandadfrom daus name i presume this is her maiden name ?
trevor

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Trevor. Thankyou for your kind words, they are propelled by the good will of our citizens at home at all times and are assured by the mature generations kindnesses. We just want to get out there and finish the job.

Marjorie Woods is her maiden name yes, from her mother Emily who married James you see here.

Thankyou for offering to help, I have huge amounts of study in Cyber Security and with my training ( I come top few in everything!) I have such little time that can be easily wasted as I have done a few times already.

Very much appreciated, my family will be happy for any news, its all quite sad for us.

The best jolly jingle bells to you kind Sir and yours too. :)

Oh for your viewing is James Woods after WW2, he died a short while after from wounds as did his son Tony who was a Lancaster tail Gunner, Emily his Wife is in the centre and Marjorie on the right.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
me again
i,ve had a look for james woods b aldershot and guessed at about 1886 for a birth date giving 5 yrs either side for a margin of era but the only jw and aldershot that shows died in 1918 so thats out  .then looked up the 1901 cen for a james woods b aldershot and found one but it would mean he was only 17 when he joined up now going by the photo you posted it cant be him
so looked for death records from 1945 to 1950 and there,s only one on FindMyPast for hants and thats dated sep 1947southampton dist age 64 now this is definately quite an age for a soldier in ww2 unless he lied about it but again going by the photo he,s no chicken on that so it may well be the one !!
does any of your family have any more names for brothers sisters or place where they lived anything may help to pin point him better , as to his poor son tony he drew a short straw  as a tail end charlie the worsed place to be on any bomber a braver bunch of lads i can,t think of and thankfully at last they look as if they will get the recognition they deserve .
i,ll have another look at this on the morrow .
best wishes to you and all your comrades and families
trevor

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Wow, incredible... how do you find all this... I will be off to my family in Norfolk tomorrow and show them all this. Its not easy for my mother, she gets very upset, but we must know. I will report back any comments on the morning of 24, going shooting so i presume around noon.. how can i repay you?

Tony we know even less about, was shot down twice and ended up in a really bad state from shrapnel wounds, my great Gran told me they flew the planes without armour to get deeper into Germany and that is how he got injured so badly.

If i can help you in any way- please, just ask?

Swift and Bold!

Luke