Author Topic: Identify a Soldier  (Read 7053 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identify a Soldier
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
hi luke
it,s all out there just different sites some have more info than others i,m always amazed at what is availiable personally if something new crops up and i don,t know where to go for info i always google it only yesterday someone wanted to find out about a rellie who died in a hosp in gib so i googled the name and place and up pops a site telling the history of hosp out there that brit military have used since wellingtons day so i put it in favs in case it comes in handy again later google is a brilliant resource for finding sites in my opinion .
as i say any small snippets of info you can glean may well help the cause as to repaying me thats not what this is about we all do it for the love of the challenge i,m sure ,i,ll leave it up to you re garding getting back to me but no rush after all this time a few more days won,t hurt ,your choice i,m on every day somewhere along the line as lots of others are  .
i can understand mum getting upset as we get older things get more harder to handle emotionally wise so be careful and don,t push her as the saying goes been there bought the t shirt !!just give her a big hug and tell her it would mean a lot to you to find out the facts it may well work  ;) .
as to tony again he sure had a more than enough of a rough ride and was certainly a very very brave man to get back up there and keep going, re the planes i,ve heard the fact that  a lot of the armour plating was taken out for weight saving and to help with the extra fuel loads this sounds like when they were going in to bomb berlin the furthest into enemy territory they flew .
when you say if i can help you in any way as i,m a keen bird man ( both feathered and not  :D ) when your out shooting think of those pheasants as lancs and your the ack ack try and miss as many as pos only they don,t have a shooting chance !!!!!!!!!!  .
enjoy the holiday and my love and best wishes to mum i know how she feels i,m sure speak soon
trevor 
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 December 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
hi luke
been tring to link james - emily - margery and tony together as a family unit  , now i,ve found a marriage for a james woods to an emily e alden in farnham kent in 1911 then found a marjorie e woods mothers maiden name alden dated dec 1921 also a george  c woods mum alden 1916 both farnham but cant link a tony or anthony woods to them  , this lot may not be correct at all but must admit i thought i had something till i couldn,t find tony,s connection so now questions for you
does anyone know if tony or anthony was his birth first name only i go by my own dad he was bpt leonard but was always known even by his mum as jack his second christian name in memory of his mums , my gran ,s brother who was killed in the battle of jutland on hms defence 1916 i too carry with pride jack as my second christian name , i digress
how does your mum fit in , who were her parents and there names the reason i ask is that we may have to work back from known names and places to reach our goal
did marjorie marry ? only again i have found a death reg for an m woods which might fit and also any ideas when emilypassed on ?
 so far i haven,t been able to find a death reg for tony or james only the one i posted earlier in hants
 hope you and yours are having a good get together best wishes to all
trevor

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 December 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trev. This is truly incredible, i have no hope of fidsning such data, now it seems a reality reaserch of this nature is evediently a great alent, hatrs off to you. I am in Kings lynn today and have prirented this data and will present it to my Mother this evening, I spoke to her this mornionh and asked he to be preparted to recieve and think about some facts andes figures. So she is expecting.

The shooting was you may be glad to know not involving any low flying birds.

Just meeting and greeting service fellows this afternoon.

The very best regards once more kind Sir.

Rfn Du Laic

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Trevor. Thankyou for your kind words, they are propelled by the good will of our citizens at home at all times and are assured by the mature generations kindnesses. We just want to get out there and finish the job.

Marjorie Woods is her maiden name yes, from her mother Emily who married James you see here.

Thankyou for offering to help, I have huge amounts of study in Cyber Security and with my training ( I come top few in everything!) I have such little time that can be easily wasted as I have done a few times already.

Very much appreciated, my family will be happy for any news, its all quite sad for us.

The best jolly jingle bells to you kind Sir and yours too. :)

Oh for your viewing is James Woods after WW2, he died a short while after from wounds as did his son Tony who was a Lancaster tail Gunner, Emily his Wife is in the centre and Marjorie on the right.

Hi Rfn Du Laic,

Welcome to Rootschat, if you post these super pictures on the Photo Restoration Board they can be cleaned and repaired for you too !

Happy New Year everyone  :D

Rabbit B  :)
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 December 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trev, Back yesterday. I have ore information but it gets a bit private now. Can we continue by email? (*) is me.

Best regards, happy new year.

Luke

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 December 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
The WW2 pic is Home Guard, so 60 odd is not beyond the wit of man

The Cornet player is in a civilian band as noted, not necessarily a brass band, could be in a wind band

He has medal ribbons on his HG uniform, so he has seen some service with someone, but not in that band! ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
The WW2 pic is Home Guard, so 60 odd is not beyond the wit of man

The Cornet player is in a civilian band as noted, not necessarily a brass band, could be in a wind band

He has medal ribbons on his HG uniform, so he has seen some service with someone, but not in that band! ;D

Hi scrimnet,

Happy New Year to you and yours.  Nice to get some info on this chap.

Rabbit B  ;)
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
hello scrimnet
just to add my thanks too for the info thats going to take one piece of the puzzle out of the equation  dare say luke will be in to add to this i,m sure .
happy new year scrimnet and to all the mods  ;)
trevor

Offline xxx xx xxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 December 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Gentlemen. HG is unlikely, he passed away in 1967 and in early 20th C and living and fighting in two world wars, it is unlikely he would be  60 in this photo; Marjorie on left passed on in 1948 making him 81 in '67. Most unlikely to live that long, he was injured too.

He had 4 medals in total, two  bronze stars, one with swords- 1914-1915 star WW1- i know he lied about his age to enlist, say 17 in 1914 makes him ideally an age of 51 in the corporal photo at latest taken 1948.

Second bronze star most likely 1939-45 medal, awarded for active service only, he could of been 42 in 1939, with previous service likely to be section commander.

What makes you sure this uniform is HG Sir? Did HG still stand for some time after WW2?

Thankyou all for your kind attention. Luke