Author Topic: William Moran Galway  (Read 4189 times)

Offline trishy2141

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Moran Galway
« on: Thursday 23 December 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, trying to trace my Great Grandfather back to Ireland. His name was William Moran born 1855 in Gort, his fathers name was John. unsure of any siblings or at what age he came to England. He married a Mary Casey in Liverpool in 1891. trying to find any info pre 1891. any help would be most appreciated. thanks Alan Moran

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Moran Galway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm just posting the link to your previous post so anybody seeing this one won't duplicate info already found since he came to England

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,501600.msg3594491.html#msg3594491
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
William was born before the start of full civil registration in Ireland, so you will need to check into parish records to try to locate a baptism for him. Do you know the family religion ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Details of the RC parish of Gort are shown on the Irish Times website - see : RC Parish Gort, Co. Galway

I dont see any mention of Gort as a parish on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation, but it may be listed under the name of the two civil parishes the town the town is split between - i.e. Kilmacduagh & Kiltartan. This is shown on the list of sources and the dates match the details on the Irish Times Info - see : http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline trishy2141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 December 10 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, Thanks for that, still learning the ropes im afraid.

Hi Shane thanks for the links, im abit of a novice at tracing the family tree. The family were catholic and they came from Gort and thats as much as i know on the irish side. Still trying to work out how to use some sites but thanks for your help :)

Offline ammeneedia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Gort included in East Galway Records whilst other south galway parishes Clarinbridge / Kinvara in cluded in West Galway
Naughton - Claregalway, Burke/Corlis/Corless/Kemple - Tuam, Fahy/King/Grealish/Jennings/Walsh - Castlegar
Burke/Cunningham/Monaghan - Annaghdown
General: Lackagh/Turloughmore/Castlegar/Claregalway/Annaghown

Offline Kevinmoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
MICHAEL AND PATRICK MORAN sons of WILLIAM MORAN
Background information found so far:
My ancestors Michael and Patrick Moran (my g-g-grandfather), we believe were tenant farmers in Gort, on the property owned by the Burkes called Marble Hill, but another branch of the family we tracked down in Australia were told they were from Athlone.
We can find Andrew Moran through the Griffith's Valuation at Cappagh, Lessor: Sir Ths J Burke and Michael Moran at Ballynakill, Lessor: Henry Pigott. Maybe they left Athlone to find work in Gort ???
Their father was William Moran, mother unknown. Based on their ages at time of transportation and death certificates Michael was born approx.1805 and Patrick approx.1808/1811.
Naming conventions:
Michael Moran married Mary Byrnes in 1844 (Australia) and died in 1848.
He had a son Patrick and we believe a daughter Mary J and a son William Moran
Son Patrick had eight children:
Michael J, Edward, William Charles, James Timothy, Mary Anastasia, Margaret Jane,Agnes Eugean and Patrick
Patrick Thomas Moran (my g-g-gf) married Mary McMahon (Australia) in 1855.
Patrick had seven children that we know of:
Michael, Mary, John Thomas, Patrick Denis, Margaret Ellen, William James and Winfred
Son Michael (my g-gf) had eight children:
Patrick Francis, Mary Mildred, Winifred May, Helena Aloysius, Kathleen Agnes, Celia Margaret, Owen Alphonzie and William John (my gf)
In March 1832 at the Galway Assizes there were about 27 Galway men convicted of being a Whiteboy in that same month. The following men were transported together on the "Eliza" in 1832:
Pat Manmon, Malachy Hardiman, Patrick Cannane, Michael Kelly, John Kelly, John Mulville, Edmond Mooney, Joseph Connors, Thomas Cavenagh, Laurence McDonagh, John Burke, John Gantley, Patrick Doolan, John Meskell, Patrick Hanna, John Larkin, Edmond (Edward) Naughton, Patrick Finn, John Heagey, Martin Heagey, John Sheedy, Michael Moran, Patrick Moran, Patrick Carey or Cazey, Patrick Halloran, Patrick Walsh, Patrick Hynes.
Thomas Keneally's "The Great Shame"
TERRYALTISM:
Up to the moment we write, there have been ... about thirty unfortunate individuals convicted under the Whiteboy Act, and therefore destined to spend the remainder of their lives in a clime far, far distant from their native homes - from the land which holds all that is dear to them in the world.
Galway Free Press, 31 March 1832.
Whilst it hints to this event there does not appear to be any other information on these convictions.
My Ancestors Conviction:
Record in Assizes (Court):
Michael Quinn, John Sheedy, Michael Moran, Patrick Moran and James Boland, whiteboy offence, judgement of death recorded.
Another newspaper article read:
James Boland, Patrick Moran, Michael Moran, James Sheedy and Michael Quinn for the assembling of arms and attacking the house of Martin Glynn (Glinn) in May Last: Guilty
Galway Advertiser 1st October 1831: Committed to Galway Jail 9th September by Walter Moloney Chief Magistrate at Gort: John Sheedy alias Silk charged having on 20th May aided by an armed party attacked the home of Martin Glynn (sometimes spelt Glinn) who was severely wounded. On same day he committed Michael Quinn charged with having on 28th August, aided by others, committed a burglary at Patrick Glynn's house who was wounded in the last attack - John Sheedy alias Silk aided him.
On their shipping records state a cousin of theirs was transported 12 years earlier:
Peter Larkin - cousin of Michael and Patrick Moran. Peter Larkin born in 1787 in Gort and died in 1879 in Dapto NSW. Tried with Gleeson and Patrick Staunton in Galway Ireland in August 1820 convicted at the Galway Assizes for burglary and seditious practices. Patrick Staunton was not indicted on the capital charge. Peter Larkin and Gleeson were sentenced to death but Larkins was reduced to transportation for life. Peter Larkin and Patrick Staunton sailed from Cork on 16/06/1821 and arrived in NSW on 07/11/1821 on board the "John Barry"
Transportation:
Both Moran brothers were convicted and transported to Australia from Cork on the ship "Eliza" in 1832 with the other Galway men convicted of being Whiteboys. I am unaware of the outcome for James Boland and Michael Quinn as they may have had the judgement of death upheld.
If there is any information on the above convictions of these Galway men that you may have, or any direct link with Michael and Patrick, I would love to hear from you.