Author Topic: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire  (Read 11965 times)

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire
« on: Saturday 25 December 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I hope everyone is enjoying a good Xmas.
I am seeking information about the birth and parents of Robert Speir who purchased Camphill Farm, Dalry in 1741.  Robert married Jean Broun in 1724.  Robert was a /the brother of James speir, merchant in Glasgow.  James married Rebecca Thomson and died in 1741.  I have data concerning James' marriage and children.  Just prior to his death James wrote to Robert, addressing the letter to 'Robert Speir, Weaver in Dalry'.  I cannot find  where either was born - was it Dalry with James moving on to Glasgow to become a successful businessman and Robert staying home?  Was it the other way around with Robert leaving Glasgow to go Dalry? Or, neither of these?
All assistance gratefully received. 
regards
ceccharlton  

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi ceccharlton,
My husband's family are Speir but at the time your Speir are at Camphill Farm ours are at Glenside, West Kilbride. They have arrived there from Erskine. I've had a look through my file but cannot find anything to help you. However I just wanted to point out this website.

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/
If you click through to SURNAMES (not Surname Database)
Select Speir from the list of names
Scroll down to find 2 database one for Baptism and one for Marriages of "Speir" in Ayrshire. The database are sorted by parish. It may help you identify the parents of Robert and James. Unfortunately the database only covers Ayrshire.

Good luck.
Regards
Yvonne

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cloud.  So far I have not identified any connection with Speir in West Kilbride.  Unfortunately, the name with its various spellings, is relatively common in Ayrshire and surrounding counties.  I have good data for Robert's descendants but nothing earlier and, as the early Dalry records are sparse I think that will be it! 
many thanks

ceccharlton 

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi cec
It appears the SPEIR family are still dairy farming in Dalry:

(*) if you wish, that's the dial code, etc. I'm from Saltcoats originally, a few miles west of Dalry).

http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/ayrshire-dalrystmag.htm
135. Erected in memory of Robert Speir of Townend and Camphill and Marion Kirkwood his wife and of Robert Speir of South Camphill and Martha Dunlop of his ### also of Robert Speir eldest son of Robert Speir farmer in ### who died in ###…###.

http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?mforum=scotsgen&p=1701

Q98
Fremantle
Western Australia

(*) Moderator's Note: name and personal details of living person removed in accordance with Rootschat. policy. Please provide such information by PM (personal message) and not online

q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Q98

Robert and Marion K are my ancestors.  The other Speir group mentioned on the 'yabbers' site do not appear to be connected.

regards
Cec

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
hi ceccharlton. I have a connection with your Robert Spier. I am descended separately from James and Robert, both sons (but I think there was probably at least one more) of Robert Spier and Marion Kirkwood. I think these would probably be grandchildren of your James & Rebecca Thomson (given that my James ha

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
sorry....... given that my James had both a sister and a daughter Rebecca and another sister Mary who has a daughter Rebecca. I would very much appreciate any info you have, I have got no further than James & Marion K - Dalry records not very helpful as often the mothers are not stated and there are so many Spiers' calles James and Robert! I have a lot of info going forwards if any of it is any use to you. My family were at North Camphill which was later flooded to create the Camphill reservoir, and Routdeanburn which still exists.

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
sorry again! didn't explain who MY James was - he's the one b 1751 m Margaret Easdale and brother of the Robert who m Martha Dunlop. James & Margaret's granddaughter Agnes Spier of North Camphill subesquently m Robert & Martha's grandson Hugh Robertson of Thirdparthall Kilbarchan. Hope that makes more sense now!

Also of course it was Robert who m Marian Kirkwood and not james, wasn't thinking straight this afternoon.

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hullo Susandun,

thanks for your response and interest in Family speir. 

I have been seeking info re Robert Speir b abt 1703 and his brother James b abt 1705 - no luck so far.  I have an original letter written by Jas to Rob in 1741.  Jas' testament is available from Scotlands People. I have data re Jas' marriage and children but have not followed the line down any further. 
Robert Speir m Jean Broun and produced Robert - known later as Robert 'younger' or 'ygr',  James, Mary, Eliz, Martha James and maybe etc. 
Rob(ygr) m Marion Kirkwood and produced your James, Rebecca, Jean, Mary, Robert who was later on South Camphill Farm (m Martha Dunlop), Hugh (my line and eventually to Australia),  John, Martha, Martha and William.  From here on I have followed my line down from Hugh however I have investigated the wider family to some extent in order to clarify the Camphill (north and south) story and also because a grandson of your Jas, William (m Margaret Harvie) went to farm on Ardenslate Farm in Dunoon and produced a daughter, Jeanie, who married back into my line.  I have a  bureau known in the family as the Ardenslate Bureau. 
The data concerning the Camphill Farms (including Blair Park, Routedaneburn etc) is available from the various testaments, census records and sasine documentation from Scotlands People as well as from some of the cemetery inscriptions - admittedly, these do require a lot of work.   
As it is impossible to cover everything perhaps a few specific questions might be easier?
I note you use the 'Spier' spelling - it is my understanding that, at the time, 'Speir' was used for this particular branch of the family (with occasional variations), however this is an old problem and familiar to anyone carrying any version of the name .  In my particular case the 'ei' form was retained and a final 's' was added a couple of generations down the tree.   

regards cec