Author Topic: Bryer in Brighton Sussex  (Read 771 times)

Offline belindacaldwell1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryer in Brighton Sussex
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 02:44 GMT (UK) »
am trying to get more information on john edwin bryer m. sarah elizabeth may (lind was a widower) and was an ivory turner before becoming a dance teacher. seemed to dissappear for a few years, whilst family went to London to become a performing children act as the Edouins. he then returned to convince them to accompany them to australia. however he travelled out to australia as JEB Jones not Bryer whilst the rest of the family was all the same name. He is my great grandfather x2 through a second family with isabella jane wing
Bryer, John Edwin
Edouin family
Hunt, Isaac
Hunt, Robert

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bryer in Brighton Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Belinda
An aspect of this family has already been discussed on Rootschat in June 2010.  The initial submitter went under the name of 'Ianwatage.'  If you put 'Edouin' and his name into Rootschat's 'Sussex Search' you should be able to review everything that was said.  Two of my submissions to the discussion on that occasion went as follows:

"It is possible that as William's father was John EDWIN Bryer he may have opted for a variation of his father's middle name to perform under.

Sibling probability (Brighton birth certs and their GRO references)
Births Dec 1840   Bryer    John William        Brighton    7   226   
Births Jun 1842   Bryer    Eliza Sarah         Brighton    7   2_5   
Births Mar 1844  BRYER    Rose                 Brighton    7   360
Births Mar 1846  BRYER    William Frederick    Brighton    7   302   

The IGI shows Eliza had a middle name Sarah and was baptised at St Nicolas Brighton on 24 July 1842.  That baptism also reveals that her mother was called Sarah Elizabeth but her maiden name would not appear to have been May as Wikipidia suggests.  There is a marriage of John Edwin Bryer in Brighton to Sarah Elizabeth LIND, (St Nicholas Brighton 16 May 1832)  This was followed by the birth of an Edwin Charles Bryer in 1833 when the family were living in Northall Cottages. Brighton. At that stage John was not listed as a performer, his occupation was an Ivory turner."

Later, I go on to say:
"I relate (albeit very loosely and through marriage) to your Bryer tree. Hannah Bryer, (1812) the sister of your John, married Thomas Grinyer.  Their son Thomas born Brighton 1834, married Emma Clifton (b 1829 Brighton) and Emma was the sister of my Great x 3 grandfather William Clifton (b Brighton 1827)"

Roy G