Author Topic: Roscommon - Emlaghyroyin  (Read 5293 times)

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roscommon - Emlaghyroyin
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some local knowledge about Roscommon. My great grandfather emigrated to England circa 1860. He was born in Roscommon and I would like to discover my roots in this area. His father was called James Gill and I have what I believe could be his death certificate, which mentions a place called Emla (his death place). On an English census report it states a birthplace of "Elma Ryan" (which doesn't exist), however I think this may have been incorrectly transcribed and maybe it should have been Emlaghyroyin? James Gill was a gardener apparently.

Emlaghyroyin appears to be a collection of dwellings close to the River Suck. I'm planning on visiting the area in the coming year and would love to hear if anyone has some local knowledge....graveyards, churches (RC), family names (Gill, Cogan) and place to visit for research etc.

Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Roscommon - Emlaghyroyin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather emigrated to England circa 1860. He was born in Roscommon
On an English census report it states a birthplace of "Elma Ryan" (which doesn't exist), however I think this may have been incorrectly transcribed and maybe it should have been Emlaghyroyin?
I'm planning on visiting the area in the coming year and would love to hear if anyone has some local knowledge....graveyards, churches (RC), family names (Gill, Cogan) and place to visit for research etc.

maybe post the census references so someone could double check the placename on the original census form..

The townland of Emlaghyroyin is in the civil parish of Dunamon and this is in the RC parish of Glinsk and Kilbegnet which is seems to be split between counties Roscommon and Galway. Baptism, marriage and burial records for the parish go back to 1835 - which some missing dates.

Details from the NLI (National Library of Ireland) :

Killbegnet & Dunamon
 Baptisms
  Sept. 5, 1836 - Jan. 28, 1846
  Nov. 2, 1846(?) - June 22, 1848
  Mar. 15, 1849 - Sept 23, 1866

Marriages -  Nov. 1, 1836 - Apr. 24, 1865
 Burials - Deaths Sept. 14, 1836 - Sept. 20, 1839

Kilbegnet & Glinsk
 Baptisms Oct. 7, 1866 - Dec. 26, 1880

Kilbegnet & Ballinakill
  Marriages July 6, 1865 - Nov 1, 1880

the parish boundaries and names appear to have altered over the years.

See also RC Parish of Kilbegnet (Irish Times)  Records for this parish are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilm Pos. 4620.

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane.
The census reference is RG11/3740. This is an 1881 census of Sutton, St Helens, Lancs.
My great grandfather Edward Gill and his brother Michael (both born Roscommon, Ireland) appear to be living in the household of Michael and Mary Cogan. I believe Mary cogan is their sister as their relationship to the head of the household is brother-in-law.

Key points:
Bridget Cogan born Ireland, Elma Ryan, Roscommon (I think this has been wrongly transcribed - I'm thinking Emlaghyroyin....which sounds like "Emla Ryan" and may have been heard as "Elma Ryan"??). Approx year of birth 1864.

Mary Cogan born Ireland, Ballmater, Roscommon......no such place as Ballmater and could potentially be Ballintober perhaps? Approx year of birth 1838.

Michael Cogan born Ireland, Queens County.......I've no idea where Queens County might be, if indeed they really mean Queens County? Approx year of birth 1837.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Michael Cogan born Ireland, Queens County.......I've no idea where Queens County might be, if indeed they really mean Queens County? Approx year of birth 1837.

Queen's county is the old name for Co. Laois

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I checked that census return, and the place of birth for both Edward and Michael is just Roscommon ... it's a daughter of Michael and Mary Coogan that has place of birth listed as 'Elma Ryan'.

Interesting that Mary Cogan's place of birth is also listed as Co. Roscommon - 'Ballymater'. 

Shane

English census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Griffiths Valuation has a James Gill, Emlaghkeadew in the parish of Fuerty.
It doesn't sound like Emla Ryan, I know.  ::)

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php   or
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
1871 RG10; Piece: 3867; Folio: 29; Page: 52

has the family as Coogan (only has born Ireland)

There is a boarder with them :
Patrick Gill 23 yrs born St Helens  :-\

However, think this is him in 1881 RG11; Piece: 3726; Folio: 61; Page: 29
He is born Ireland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the family name in 1871 is listed as Coogan, which is mis-spelled. It really is Cogan. Checked against gravestones and church records at St Anns RC Church, Sutton, St Helens. I'm certain that Mary Cogan was formerly Mary Gill from Roscommon, Ireland and she is the sister of Edward Gill. You would like to think that Patrick Gill was also part of the same Gill family, but his relationship to the head of household is 'Boarder' and not 'brother-in-law'. Unless this wasn't strictly accurate and in 1881 his bithplace was now corrected etc?
Thanks for this info about the 1881 census report....I'll check into it.