Author Topic: Birth Look up Edmund Galley  (Read 8287 times)

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Look up Edmund Galley
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
All Saints church, Kingston upon Thames, baptisms for children born to Thomas Mansell and Abigail Mansell:
Abigail Mary Mansell 15 Oct 1843
Jane Mansell 8 Feb 1846
Thomas Mansell 16 Jul 1848
Charles Mansell 23 Mar 1851
Edward Mansell 26 Sep 1853
Louisa Mansell 19 Aug 1855
Sarah Mansell 7 Feb 1858

Deaths: Abigail Mansell, registered in 1862 in Kingston, in county of Middlesex/Surrey Volume 2a, Page 132 (This death would appear to match Abigail Galley as opposed to her daughter Abigail who seemed to live on and possibly marry in the 1870's).

HappyFeet,

I hope that Abigail had found happiness in her marriage.  I could not find her anywhere in 1861.  What an awful outcome for these two siblings; Edmund and his sister Abigail.  Do you know what happened to Edmund in Australia? - apart from him being awarded £1,000 compensation from the British parliament.

I dont know whether you have access to UK records, but I've done my best to find some more positive findings for you regarding Edmund's siblings, but don't feel as I have managed to find any.  :'(

Please let us know if you still need help, and I hope others will also check for the siblings too in case I missed anything and continue to add advice / ideas that I may have missed.

Penny
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline bennieb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Abigail Galley's daughter Abigail
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hope this information isn't too late.  :) Abigail Mary Mansell (1843) married 1 March 1871 and her husband was George Bentley. The marriage was witnessed by Thomas Hodge and Jane Mansell.   George was born 1845 in Sellindge Kent but was living in Long Ditton Surrey by 1870.  Abigail and George had eight children

Abigail Mary Bentley 13 Mar 1872
George Bentley        25 Oct 1873
William Edmund Bentley 29 Sep 1875
Thomas Harold Bentley 12 Oct 1877
Charles Galley Bentley 8 Oct 1879
Roland John Bentley 4 Nov 1882
Albert Richard 1 Dec 1884
Joseph Victor Bentley 1887

Abigail died 26 Jan 1918 aged 74  and her husband died 17 July 1919 aged 74

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 January 11 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Judy "Happyfeet" from Australia hasnt logged back in since Tuesday 28 December.  Hope she remembers she put the message up and is getting notifications...  ???
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline happyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 March 11 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you to everyone who has helped me with this.  You are right, I have been busy, been away off and on, but should have noticed all this sooner.

Edmund was one of the lucky ones in Australia, as he was assigned to a caring master and he stayed on the one property, (which was out in the sticks, as we say) for most of his life.  It was a sheep station and he was a shepherd. He always claimed he was innocent and just before he died he did get justice but did not live very long to enjoy it.   

In August 1881 the newspapers of the day were still reporting that Edmund wanted the compensation in cash and that the government were still deciding whether to give him land or cash.

He did end up with Land, 320 acres of it, not far from the property he worked on - but whether he bought it or it was bought for him I don't know.   Edmund Galley died 6.11.1885 - I haven't been able to find a death certificate for him as yet, so don't know what happened to him, only probate records showing his date of death.   His widow died 2 years later.

Thanks again to you all.

Offline Magdalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 January 22 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have recently started a One-name-study for the name of Galley and have been looking at convicts transported for their crimes.. Edmund is a cause celebre and I've been in touch with a few people about him.  I have now produced a summary of him if you are interested and also know quite a lot about his brother Charles.

What is your connection with the Galleys?  Are you interested in the study?  If so please get in touch.  Meg Galley-Taylor