Author Topic: Duncan CAMERON and Janet CHISHOLM Pictou NS 1820`s  (Read 5267 times)

Offline detrask

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan CAMERON and Janet CHISHOLM Pictou NS 1820`s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 20:19 BST (UK) »
OK!  I tried to reply but not sure where it went - I've been trying to help someone in British Columbia [I'm in NS] who is a descendant of daughter Jessie and who is looking to find a United Empire Loyalist ancestor, so I've been trying to link Duncan to the UELs of the 84th who settled up the East River of Pictou.  The records of that area are pretty non-existent as you have likely discovered. 
Here is what I have for their children:

Jessie, born c. 1824, married Hugh Fraser
Mary B., born c. 1825, married John Lank
William, born c. 1828, died 18 January 1845 age 16 - son of Duncan and Jennie Cameron - from his gravestone in Riverton
Daniel - no dates except that his father gave him and a brother Archibald land in 1844
and Daniel signed over his land to his mother Jane in 1870 when he was living in Broadford Australia, near Melbourne
I've found no info at all on Archibald - still have to have another go at the probate records.
Jennie died 27 Nov 1884, according to her fairly modern gravestone.
Tried to attach a photo, but maybe I should take the tutorial!

Deb

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. you’ve written.

Yes, it is hard to find info. on them.

Donald Chisholm Cameron was the 3rd husband of my ancestor Jane Davis/Barnes/Jones.
They were married for close to 30 years - and may have had 2/3 children together.
They owned land, blacksmiths, pubs/hotels etc from Broadford to Seymour in Victoria Australia.
Jane and Donald died in the 1890’s and are buried in Seymour Victoria Australia.

Daniel is still a mystery to me in Australia - do you have further info on him.
Are Daniel and Donald one in the same ?

Cheers
Jamison

Offline detrask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
I suspect that Daniel and Donald are the same person - I think that Duncan was the son of Alexander & wife Elizabeth Cameron, and that Alexander was possibly the son of Donald Cameron originally from Glen Urquhart Inverness Shire, Scotland.  This Donald and his brothers and sons and sons-in-law were pressed into the British army from their immigrant ship when they arrived at New York in 1775 - they joined the Loyal Highland Emigrants, which became the 84th Regt of Foot.  So the whole bunch of them were Loyalists.

Did your Donald leave any papers from the 1870s - family letters, family bible, anything nice like that?

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well, the Scots were an oppressed lot.
I had the impression that the clan were forced to do something against their will - so to speak.
I don’t have any personal documents from him etc...l wish l did but...
I have to dig out his time line but l think his first recorded time l have is - from the late 1850’s.
Also, opened a public house near Broadford in about 1860.
You’ve sparked my interest again.
Cheers

Offline detrask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 June 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
I looked again at the deed in which Daniel Cameron licenced victualler of township of Broadford, county of Dalhousie and colony of Victoria, signed over property in Pictou County NS to his mother Jane - this was recorded in Nova Scotia in January 1874, but he signed a document appointing his attorney in NS in October 1872.  This was witnessed by John Whittle and Verney Lovett Cameron [who is this?], and on this document Daniel is listed as a licenced publican.  Then John Whittle had his own credentials verified by the mayor of Melbourne, Orlando Fenwick. 

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 June 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb

Thanks for the little tid-bit !!

I have just goggled Verney Lovett Cameron Snr and found him and his family living in St. Kilda - a part of Melbourne.

Found his family on Geni.com - take a look at that site and see if you can see a connection.

I have a question for you - Is it right to say that Daniel/Donald and Jessie are brother and sister ?

Cheers Jamison

Offline detrask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 June 19 03:31 BST (UK) »
Today I was in Halifax and stopped by the Archives to look up the court records for a property settlement in which Hugh Fraser and his wife Jessie seem to have brought suit against her mother and siblings for a division of property in 1865.  On the plan agreed upon, the others are noted simply as the heirs of Duncan Cameron, but the Judgement Book lists Jessie Cameron [I suspect this is a transcribing error and should read 'Jennie'], Mary Cameron, Angus Cameron, Daniel Cameron and John Cameron.  Don't know if Angus and John are other siblings of Daniel and Jessie or not.  Back down the rabbit hole! 

Offline jamison

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 June 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

So, l guess that Duncan Cameron (the father) died in the 1860’s and this caused much strife amongst the children with their mother etc...

Also, Donald in Australia is called Daniel in Canada - would like to find out when he left Canada for Australia. This is maybe the reason we can’t find him arriving in Australia as Donald. All official documents (also newspaper info.), l have of him in Australia, are as Donald NOT Daniel.

First concrete date in Australia is in 1858 (so far) was when he married Jane Jones (Barnes) but the marriage was illegal - as she was still married to Patrick Barnes. When he (PB) died in 1866 she married Donald for a second time and remained married until her death early 1890’s

I have to keep digging up info from wherever to narrow down his arrival time. In 1858 he would have been 31 years old.

Deb thanks for sharing the info with me - l will go through my files on him to find anything else that may help from my side.

Cheers Jamison

Offline detrask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 June 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
A problem arose with the UEL application and so this week I have dug out my files on this family, trying to help.  Of course there's new material always being added to internet sources!  I found a reference in the local New Glasgow paper, the Easter Chronicle, 27 Nov 1896 to the death in Mangalore "on the 22nd inst" of Donald Chisholm Cameron, age 69.  Did your Donald die in Australia? 

Deb