Author Topic: Staffordshire Regiment circa 1860's - Russell Tresslor  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Trippy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do you think the fish will fall for it??
    • View Profile
Staffordshire Regiment circa 1860's - Russell Tresslor
« on: Wednesday 29 December 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »

Hello

Wondering if I could ask for some help :).  Unfortunately I have been going around in circles, and now can't see the wood for the trees!!

I am trying to trace my great great grandfather Russell Tresslor (although could be spelt many ways including Treslor, Trussler, Trusler, Tressler, Tresler, and Trislor!!)  He was born 1852, but I don't know where, although it is likely to be the UK.  He passed away in India in 1916 in Jhansi, and fathered my great grandfather Charles in 1884, (mother unknown currently)

On Charles second baptism record, in 1928, when Charles was baptised as a RC, he listed his father as a retired soldier from the staffordshire regiment.

I have been in contact with the staffordshire regiment museum, and they said the regiment was split into north and south regiments, who both served in India in the 1880's.  Timeline wise he could have joined anytime from 1868 onwards, he fathered a child in 1884, and was definately out by 1900.  With this timeline in mind, the museum suggested he could have been in the 38th foot, which served in India, Egypt and Ireland, and if this was the case he could appear on the medal records at Kew.

I have looked on the military records on find my past, ancestry and the national archives website, and he is not listed, does anybody know whether I would find anything different by actually visiting Kew??  I don't want to go on a wild goose chase, as its 4 hours away from me.

Also I've been thinking that Jhansi had quite a lot to do with the Indian Mutiny, but I think his service would have been after the mutiny, but I thought there might be a link between his service, and him ending up in Jhansi?

PS, Also to add insult to injury!! I cannot find him on any census in the UK.

Any bright ideas would be appreciated :D  I am sure this man doesn't want to be found!!

Thanks Trippy.  Sorry for any typos! ;)
Bullock, Lancashire & Yorkshire
Halliwell, Lancashire
Estcourt, Gloucestershire
Burch, Devon, London
Evely, Devon
Vanstone, Devon

Offline martinsmith1001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire Regiment circa 1860's - Russell Tresslor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Russell Tressler died aged 64 Jhansi 25NOV1916
Buried in Plot H221 his grave inscription reads

Our beloved father Russell Tressler born 27 July 1852 died 25 November 1916.
Sleep beloved sleep and take thy rest lay down thy head upon thy saviours breast we loved thee well but Jesus loved thee best. We miss you when the morning dawns we miss you when the night returns, we miss you here we miss you there, we miss you dear father.

Offline Trippy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do you think the fish will fall for it??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you Martin...

Can I ask where did you find this information? obviously somewhere I didn't look!!!

I wonder if he had more than one child, as it refers to him as "our beloved father"...

I am all excited now, I had written to the church in Jhansi but never got a response and thought I would never find out anymore, until now...... thank you so much. :)
Bullock, Lancashire & Yorkshire
Halliwell, Lancashire
Estcourt, Gloucestershire
Burch, Devon, London
Evely, Devon
Vanstone, Devon

Offline martinsmith1001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
I am undertaking a project for the charity BACSA, the British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia, and in that context have access to some raw data which at this time is unpublished.

If you are pleased with this information perhaps you would consider a modest donation ?
http://www.bacsa.org.uk/