Author Topic: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census  (Read 19106 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census
« on: Wednesday 29 December 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, could someone please try and find this hugh smith in the 1901 census i can find him in the 1911 census but i cannot find them in the 1901 census they aren't even living in the same area he isn't even in the county! http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Keady/Dun_More/596752/ It looks as though he was born in 1841 or thereabouts is it possible to find his birth aswell

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Cannot help with the birth but I think that Dun More, Keady Ded is the townland of Dunmore just north of the Keady Mountain and on the Windy Hill (Murderhole) Road from Limavady to Coleraine.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Cannot help with the birth but I think that Dun More, Keady Ded is the townland of Dunmore just north of the Keady Mountain and on the Windy Hill (Murderhole) Road from Limavady to Coleraine.

Regards

Ok thanks for your help i know were that is now not anywhere near dungiven i actually live near the windyhill road so i know full well were that is. What do you suggest i do to find him in the 1901 census?? I can't find him anywhere in the census no matter what spellings i use , and hes certainly not in keady at that time because it isn't on the census?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Keady in the 1911 census is the D.E.D. not the townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be rude but does anyone have any solutions on how to find him in the 1901 census ??

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Only by searching. Have you considered the 60 year old single man who lived in the Somerset DED, Co. Londonderry which I think is on the western outskirts of Coleraine i.e. the Coleraine end of the Murderhole Road.
I can also find a marriage of a Hugh Smith to a Margaret Thompson in Bovevagh Church of Ireland on 22 Apr 1904 which ties in with the years married on the 1911 census but seems a bit distant from Coleraine.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Only by searching. Have you considered the 60 year old single man who lived in the Somerset DED, Co. Londonderry which I think is on the western outskirts of Coleraine i.e. the Coleraine end of the Murderhole Road.
I can also find a marriage of a Hugh Smith to a Margaret Thompson in Bovevagh Church of Ireland on 22 Apr 1904 which ties in with the years married on the 1911 census but seems a bit distant from Coleraine.

Regards

I have a funny feeling that is him. Where is boveagh is that near keady?? Good on you if you got that worked out because i wouldn't have a clue how to work it out!!! To me that looks like it is worked out but isn't it odd that he is on his own in coleraine if thats him.. if that is the marriage then it would work out on why he moved over the mountain.  Thanks very much for your help now all we need to do is to get that to connect. Is there anyway of getting this connected??

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Bovevagh is the parish just north of Dungiven. The parish Church is in Burnfoot village. The only way to find a connection is to get a copy of the marriage certificate which will give Hugh Smith's residence at the time of marriage.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
If you mean this Hugh Smith in Coole Glebe Upper in 1901- he's only 50 years old.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Coole_Glebe_Upper/1516838
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!