Author Topic: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census  (Read 19089 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Bovevagh is the parish just north of Dungiven. The parish Church is in Burnfoot village. The only way to find a connection is to get a copy of the marriage certificate which will give Hugh Smith's residence at the time of marriage.

Regards

Well thats were hes buried i'm imformed. But how would that work to connect him to coleraine? Where is the nearest presbyterian church to there?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:00 GMT (UK) »
If you mean this Hugh Smith in Coole Glebe Upper in 1901- he's only 50 years old.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Coole_Glebe_Upper/1516838

Yes there must be a mistake i have a funny feeling he isn't 70  on the 1911 census it looks to old to marry a 35 year old 60 would be closer

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that when the old age pension was introduced in 1909 for 70 year olds there was a noticeable increase in ages between 1901 and 1911. In my experiance 10 years extra was about average but the most extreme was 25 years.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Was that common?? Do you think that that's him then were would you get the marriage certificate online? Thanks for your help aswell

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm still doubtful the Hugh Smyth in 1901 in Coole is the right man. There were Smyths in Coole (and Hugh is a name amongst them) but they were Reformed Presbyterian.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Well then were do you suggest we look then because he is the only Hugh smith in this area? It has to be him keady is only a few miles from there

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 December 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
If the age in 1911 census is incorrect and Hugh is nearer his wife's age (i.e. more like 40 in 1911 not 70) then there are other possibilities in the 1901 census.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 December 10 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Would this be him it says  46? : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Bovagh/Bovagh/1519474/.  I am going to try and drive to the church tomorrow is there a bovevagh presbyterian church over there and a bovevagh reformed because if so it looks like I'm gonny have a few problems!! If that ain't him then the Coleraine one has to be him I'm hoping it's the Coleraine one as I haven't a clue about dungiven and haven't a hope in he'll of getting the tree back

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 December 10 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Would this be him it says  46? : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Bovagh/Bovagh/1519474/
No. This Hugh Smyth died 19 Jan.1938 and was buried in the family plot of Ballylaggan R.P. Churchyard. Sister Mary died 1914 and sister Maria died 1937. Parents were John and Margaret Smyth of Coole.