Author Topic: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants  (Read 21875 times)

Offline wakaman3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have recently convinced myself that there is no connection between my family and the fairground. for those looking and not heard of it, there is a book called "midland fairground families" by Ned Williams, there is a good section on the Drakeley fair / coal business including some family tree information.

Good luck with your searches.  Ray

Offline KittyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody I hope you are all well. I understand this is quite an old post but I don't know where else to go. I'm looking for information on the Drakeleys. My name's side. She told me her line were travellers until her mom decided she didn't want to live in a 'bleedin' can't anymore. At that point my great grandad John or 'Jack' worked the coal barges in Birmingham instead of the fairgrounds. I'm curious as I've read that Romany married in to my family. I would love to know more if anyone can help me? Behind the frogs (love that name) do you have information at all? Indeed does anyone? Much love xxx

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Drakelys in my tree that could fit the information that you give above.  Once you have made a few more posts we can exchange private messages and I can send you copies.  Meanwhile can you narrow the field a little by providing a few dates and places.  In particular do you know the names of any of John's siblings.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KittyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! This could be invaluable. Sadly my nanna is poorly and her memory with it but I have asked my dad to findd out what he can. I can certainly provide the name of my great nan and all of my nan's siblings shortly when he gets back to me.

Offline Dan Reynolds

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 April 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m new to all this my mother is a Drakeley and was from the fairground also but they lived in Lower Dicker East Sussex at the time of them being on the fair, her Dads name is Harry Roy Drakeley and his Wife is Caroline,

His mother and father were George and Linda but that is as far as I can go back.

They worked on Nicky Shaws fairs 90% of the time

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 April 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
This brings back so many memories for me. My grandparents lived in one of the last houses in Stechford Lane & fetched their coal from Drakeleys. I was taken to the fair when it came to the yard, over 70 years ago. I was about 4 or 5 at the time. I can still see in my mind, the swingboats the roller coaster & the merrygoround.
Those were the days.
Good luck with your research.

Offline Nick-Price

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.belsen.co.uk Online archive for the liberators
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
my name is Diana Cox (nee Goodhead) i am the great grandaughter of Tom Drakely who had fairground in the midlands, an my grandad Goodhead had a coal business. there is a gypsy connection on the Goodhead side as my great grandad Goodhead married a gypsy called Rebecca Neal her brother Josiah Neal. If you would like to know more dont hesitate to get in contact.
Diana Cox

Hi Diana - I have recently found out my grandfather worked for WJ Goodhead. He was a sign writer who produced the guilded lettering on the coal (trucks) and the graphics on a number of the fairground rides for Drakeleys. Do you have any photos of any of these at all?
Nick
www.belsen.co.uk
Online archive for the liberators

Offline Nick-Price

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.belsen.co.uk Online archive for the liberators
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there, first time at this so I hope it's right.
My name is Raymond F Drakeley, born in Kitts Green, Stechford, Birmingham 33 in 1953. For the early  part of my life the Drakeley fair would winter and set up on a piece of ground in Stechford on the banks of the river Cole opposite Cotterills lane island. I believe that the land is still unused today so is it still owned by the fair? And yes I believe they sold coal from there too.
I was always lead to believe that my family were linked to a family of 9 brothers who started the fair, I think the main player was Charles Drakeley, I have not yet verified any of this. Some of the rides are still in use and apparently owned by their descendants. The helter skelter was built in the early 1900's and is still in use, recently it was in Malvern.  At present my knowledge of family only goes back to1886, my grand father.

www.belsen.co.uk
Online archive for the liberators

Offline DrewDrakeley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 August 22 21:19 BST (UK) »
I'm a Drakeley, goin back Tommy n Charlie started the fairs from Aston, Birmingham. From me family we spoze be off of the canels but me Great Great Grandmother was an Irish Traveller me old Grandfather married. From what me family said she was the most beautiful woman anyone had ever seen wiv long jet black hair down her back n bright green eyes. Me family been involved in the fairs from when I was a boy. Me Father n Mother was heavy into the horses aswel. Me Father supplied Shires n foals to Whitbreads in London fir pulling the drays to deliver the ale around London until Whitbreads stopped it completely. They opened a big farm in Sevenoaks, Kent where all the horses retired n made it a attraction fir the public wiv the hop farm aswel n that. We used do Horse of the year show n all the big fairs n steam fairs. Times change n I spose we all aft to adapt. Fir my knowledge Drakeley ain't a common name, spelt Drakeley not Drakley. So if use from or got connections to Warwickshire, Birmingham, Coventry, Nuneaton or Stoke On Trent then I'm sure we's all related somewhere along the line