Author Topic: Curious about family feud - need 1851 lookup CARTER  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Curious about family feud - need 1851 lookup CARTER
« on: Friday 31 December 10 00:34 GMT (UK) »
My Gr Gr Gr Grandmother Mary Augusta (McCREA) CARTER  b. 1788, Guernsey, was already wid/o Lt.Col. John Chilton Lambton CARTER II who died in 1827, when she moved from England back to Guernsey around 1851/2.
Her son wrote ""I hope my mother is comfortably housed in her own castle again - I daresay she will get on better now than ever she did -- I would write to her if I saw the least chance of her opening my letters and reading them, but that  I am sure she will never do."
He wrote this before emigrating from England to New Zealand in 1852. I deduct that Mary was not happy about it. And there went my inheritance! :)

I'd like to know who she was living with and where in the 1851 census - probably St. Peter Port.

Many thanks for any help,
Suzanne Carter

Carter, Moore

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Curious about family feud - need 1851 lookup CARTER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
1851 for La Porte Rd St Peter Port Guernsey

John C Lambton Carter 34 b Ireland Captain 53rd Reg Army
Susan F 35 b England
Lambton W F  3 b East Indies
Alice A   8 Months b England
Mary Augusta  63 mother widow annuitant b St Peter Port Guernsey
plus 3 servants all b England
Ann L Miller 21
Elizabeth Hallet 24
Jane Odgers 21
HO107 Piece 2530 Folio 256 Page 23

Births September qtr 1850   Alice Augusta Carter   Plymouth  9 397

Marriages September qtr 1844     
John Chilton Lambton Carter    Plymouth  9 438   
Susan Frances Lillicrop     
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:49 GMT (UK) »
WOW, thank you Carole. That was quick!!  That shows the son who wrote the letter and went to NZ, his wife and their children Lambton and Alice, living with Mary Augusta (McCREA) CARTER. So I guess when they left, she was left alone with 3 servants - poor dear.
Thanks so much. This also showed me where her son was in that time frame too. Very good!
Thanks again,
Suzanne
Carter, Moore

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Just found this submitted IGI entry (have you seen the birth and marriage info I added to my first post)

Susan Frances LILLICRAP (quaint spelling)    Birth:  About 1817  England
Death:  31 DEC 1862   Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Father:  James F. LILLICRAP    Mother:  Frances Adams WELSFORD 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 10 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have all that ( thanks anyway) but was curious about the circumstances  surrounding that letter Capt JCL CARTER wrote. I'm just trying to round out my genealogy. :)
I had a chuckle when I found the name LILLICRAP in my family too. Her father was Rear Admiral James LLLICRAP who was C/O of the fleet that guarded Napoleon after his capture. Plus he invented the life ring (life preserver), so I'll forgive him for the funny spelling of his name. :)
Thanks so much again,
Suzanne
Carter, Moore

Offline bpgroughan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzanne I have been doing our family tree and we have the same gr gr gr grand parents. My grand parents were Clarence Buckeridge & Ida (Carter) Here is a link to the tree I have at present if you are interested
www.myheritage.com/site-141190821/the-groughans
Regards Brian

Offline Suzanne4440

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 February 11 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian, I just found your post. Yes we are 3rd cousins. This is a great hobby and fun to "meet" relatives. I hope you don't live in Christchurch. I was b. in NZ but live in Canada now. I had your name from a family work - Julie (CARTER) GILBERT's family history on the CARTER family. I went to your site and it needs Adobe to see the work and I'm having a computer problem with the latest version of Adobe so I couldn't open it. Sorry. I will be taking it in soon. Nice to "meet" you.
Suzanne Carter
Carter, Moore

Offline bpgroughan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
G'day Suzanne, small world isn't it. No I was born in aussie, mum left NZ & got caught up here and hasn't been back(only to visit) I went to the Aotea several times in my school years and when I finished I went there for about 8 months I so much loved it, my grdad, uncles Ted & George took me on a tour for several weeks throughout both islands and met many rels it only seems like yesterday but infact it would be about 30 odd years ago and I would love to go back again one day.
It is really sad what has happened with the earth quake words can't describe & our hearts go out to all
Good to hear from you take care.
Regards
Brian Groughan