Author Topic: Marriage Trouble  (Read 2998 times)

Offline W_Higgins

• I am sorry but my email address has not been closed
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage Trouble
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello;
Can anyone out there help...?  An ancestor of mine was in the British Army in the mid-1800's.  We know he was married while in the Army, and we know to who he was married, and we know the date the army noted the marriage.  However, we cannot seem to find any official registration or marriage certificate.  We would like to find this marriage certificate in order to find out his fathers name.  Being born in Ireland, there is no record of his birth.  Any advice?
Thanks for your time.
Here are the details if you are interested...

William Higgins
Born approx. 1830 in Kinvara, Galway
Served in the 73rd Regiment of Foot from 1847 - 1869
Married Sarah Soper
Had a son, William, born in Limerick 1866

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Trouble
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 05:24 BST (UK) »
My Royal Marines ancestor was using an alias when he married. I guess you have tried looking for certificates from his wife's name too. Also my Royal Marine John Brown alsia Maxwell was married to Mary Anne Kidson whose real name was Mary Eliza Kidson. Who knows why. I have confirmed with other sources that this was in fact the same couple who gave birth to my g grandmother so know that they someho changed names for some reason. I don't know if this is any help but it could be a new lead for you to try.
Rosanne
Maxwell, Kidson, Beckett, Byrne, Knight, Jeavons, Bitheway, Ellow, Ganly....Greater London and surrounds also Ireland