Author Topic: Cork to Australia "Where is She?"  (Read 13242 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cork to Australia "Where is She?"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 January 11 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again 85jbk

Could you please tell us more about where the deaths (and perhaps marriages) of the children occurred?  As mum mum and Merlin have said these may give some clues as to where Mary Ann finished up - perhaps living with one of her children?

For example there is this death in Victoria which is fairly near in age but would Mary Ann have been in Beechworth?

1904 #7484
Mary Ann Hawkes, 76, 
Beechworth, Victoria

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 January 11 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I went to reply before but got sidetracked.

Re Mary Ann remarrying at age 57, I would not count out a remarriage or common loaw relationship at any age. Quite a few of mine seemed to have no trouble finding another spouse. And what's wrong with a woman over 55 that you think she wouldn't remarry. ;)
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 January 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Do you have the daughters married names, where would they have been living?
Re the death at Beechworth, I can't see any Hawks or Hawkes at Beechworth on the 1903 roll.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 January 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi 85jbk,

If Mary Ann arrived into Victoria then there is generally no way of knowing for sure which one, if any, are your girl.  Unfortunately the records just don't give enough information unless known family members were travelling with her.

DAVIS   MARY ANN   17   DEC   1848   LADY KENNAWAY   4B   2
List of female orphan immigrants per ship Lady Kennaway into the depot 13th December 1848.
DAVIS, Mary Ann, 17, Roman Catholic, housemaid, employer Peter YOUNG, of Melbourne.

DAVIS   MARY ANN   17   DEC   1848   LADY KENNAWAY   4   159
This entry is a disposal list and just gives her name.

This person is also listed amongst NSW shipping records and was from Ballina, Co. Mayo.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0b0a/

DAVIS   MARY   18   MAY   1849   PEMBERTON   4B   9
A list of female orphan immigrants per ship Pemberton received into the depot 26th May 1849
DAVIS, Mary, 18, Episcopalian, house servant, employer Mr John CLARKE of Bourke Street.

This person is also listed amongst NSW shipping records and was from Co. Cork.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0b09/   (pan down to last entry)

It is interesting that they married by licence as this was expensive and not usually within the reach of most couples.  Would the "consent of William AUSTIN" be in relation to Mary Ann being aged under 21?  Who was he?  Perhaps more can be found on him and Mr McCLAIN of Seymour?

Debra  :D

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 January 11 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Good for you, Debra - was hoping you might be able to find the shipping refeences.  Given that her place of birth was given as Cork on the birth certificate of her son (have I read that correctly - is that where the reference to Cork is from?   :D ) then the lass on the Pemberton seems more likely  :-\

LOL mum mum - I was thinking the same about 'older women'.  ::)

I wonder if William AUSTIN, who gave his consent to the marriage was the employeee of one of them? 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 January 11 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow you guys are good. Thanks for your suggestions.
Merlin:
John Hawkes died 27 May 1894, Euromedah, near Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia. His occupation was listed as Selector. His age is given as 85 years old. Cause of Death is Senile Decay. Father is listed as Thomas Hawkes, Labourer and Mother Sarah Badgery. The Informant is Joh HAwkes, Son, Timbrebongie.( This is near Dubbo). John was Buried 29 May 1894, Narromine Cemetery by Undertakers George Light and by Minister RWP Montgomery. C of E. It states John was Born Warwick, England. He spent 56 years in NSW. Place married was London England at age 43. Spouse listed is Mary Davis. Children of the marriage listed are: Sarah Jane 40, May 38, John 35, Thomas 32, Living.
I know from speaking with the priest in Naromine that a place of burial is not known for John due to several big floods over the years, probably something like we are experiencing now, have displaced many graves.

The last confirmation of Mary that I am aware of is at the birth of her grandchild Alfred Mott in 1883. Alfred was born at Wilga Station, near Dubbo. This is Sarah Jane son. Apparently Mary was the informant. I do not have a copy of this.

John Hawkes was sent to Australia aboard Earl Grey 2.
He was convicted and found guilty of stealing seven live  fowls from Henry Tibbetts on the 26 August 1837 in The Stafford Quarter Sessions.  For this    he recieved 7 years to Australia. The Earl Grey 2 sailed from Portsmouth on 8 August 1838 and Arrived to NSW 21 November 1838.
John received his TOL in 1842. From the details of his movement North was the way to go.

Looks like I missed that info on George Porter. What are those details if you are able to share that please.

judb
Yes the dates do get get confusing and you really have to try and figure it out with each bit of information. As you will have just read with the details I have given with the death of John. It would seem that they go to lenghts to conceal info.

The Shipping details look promising and worth a check, even then there was this sort of thing going on.

As to Beechworth I did see that listed but shyed away from that only because the area I had been mostly concentrating on was the district the family lived and worked in and around. Could be worth a look.

As to the children Sarahs lot were around the Western NSW district, Wellington Dubbo, Cobar areas as was John and Mary. Thomas was up until the 1915 were he went north to Longreach Queensland.

mum mum
Yes you are quite right. I have another myself who married and then took the name of another but no records as such, only through childrens certificates.

Sarah Jane married Frederick Mott of the Areas I mentioned before, Wellington, Cobar. As did Mary whom married Robert Smith, of the same Areas. John married Florence Studman. Both John & Florence died at Mudgee. It was here I thought I might find Mary and acuired a certificate for a Ann Norah Hawks died age 60, accidental drowning, There are no parents listed, no date of death, no children known. Thomas was in NSW until he headed North.
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 January 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
 The ‘new’ Robert Burns Inn was where John Hawks and Mary Ann Davis got married in Feb 1852, not the old John Clarks Inn (on the map) The current Royal hotel on the corner of Manners Rd at Seymour, was built in prior to 1852 for McLaurin and some of the buildings at the back are apparently from that time. The Seymour history book has got some other inciteful maps etc from the Seymour Hist soc. Beautiful healthy undulating country The Robert Burns Inn, Later Police station, across the road to the south was John Clarks Inn and McLaurins hotel pre the wedding. The New hotel built in 1849 was where they would have been married (Royal Hotel aka Royal George Hotel) It was quite something for its day and parts of it still stand (at rear of current one). Mary Ann Davis was consented by William Austin of Avenel about 6 miles up the road who was baker and shoemaker at the time (maybe she worked for him).
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 January 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
judb & debra

am i correct in thinking that this is my girl Mary Ann Davis.

the two records of the pemberton and the orphan girls to australia have the same info or am i being totally blonde here? ::)
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 January 11 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again - Thanks for the extra info although it didn't seem to help much at this stage.  :( 

There are a couple of deaths which are outside possibilities but a long way from the areas where the family lived.  Mind you she could have been away from home at the time of her death.  My friend searched for a long time to find her g-grandfather's death only to find he had died quite a long way from home while on holidays at the coast  ???

You're right about the details for the girl on the Pemberton and the orphan girl being the same, so it looks to be a good posibility.

Just to add a litlle to your picture there is an interesting article on the history of the Anglican parish of Kilmore and its first minister William SINGLETON who was also Irish apparently.  I don't think Seymour had an official church building until the early 1860s.

http://anglicankilmore.org.au/history

The Hotel looks very smart.  :)

Judith