Author Topic: Marriage Trouble  (Read 1579 times)

Offline W_Higgins

• I am sorry but my email address has not been closed
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage Trouble
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello;
Can anyone out there help...?  An ancestor of mine was in the British Army in the mid-1800's.  We know he was married while in the Army, and we know to who he was married, and we know the date the army noted the marriage.  However, we cannot seem to find any official registration or marriage certificate.  We would like to find this marriage certificate in order to find out his fathers name.  Being born in Ireland, there is no record of his birth.  Any advice?
Thanks for your time.
Here are the details if you are interested...

William Higgins
Born approx. 1830 in Kinvara, Galway
Served in the 73rd Regiment of Foot from 1847 - 1869
Married Sarah Soper
Had a son, William, born in Limerick 1866

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Trouble
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 05 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The 73rd Regiment was overseas pre 1860 and returned to England that year. I had a quick look at the 73rd web site. If you can find where else in Ireland the Regiment was stationed - they may have been in other places in addition to Limerick then you may possibly find the marriage certificate. It would also be a help if you know the religious persuasion of William and Sarah.

www.from-ireland.net/gene/churchrecrds.htm - This URL mentions that not all Church records in Ireland were destroyed in the fire in 1922. There are about a third of the records still available.

Best Wishes,   Christopher

Offline W_Higgins

• I am sorry but my email address has not been closed
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Trouble
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 05 15:12 BST (UK) »
Christopher;
Thank you very much for your help. 

Do you know if all military marriages were registered with either the church or civil authority?

Thanks again.