Author Topic: Thomas Robinson Shetland  (Read 11287 times)

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Robinson Shetland
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 18:08 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for evidence of birth for a Thomas Robinson born abt 1822 in Shetland. He was a merchant seaman (nothing unusual I suspect for islanders) and settled in Liverpool from late 1850's. He married an Alice Malone from Co Wexford IRL but I cannot find the marriage ref......so I don't know where the marriage took place. In 1861 his wife and 2 children are in Liverpool and he is presumably at sea. I have tried scotlandspeople website for OPC but there didn't seem to be anything for Shetland. Is there any one out there who can access early census or records perhaps a member of Shetland FHS? Would his ancestors have been Robertson? Children's naming pattern are Jane, Thomas and Barbara.
Very grateful for any suggestions :-\
O'Connell, Robinson, Conway, Cunningham (Liverpool and Ireland)
Smith, Vallis, Fry (Somerset), Horrocks (London), Neighbour (Bucks).
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Robinson Shetland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I checked Bayanne and can't find a Thomas Robinson listed with birth of 1822.  I did find one person born in that time frame Andrew Robinson, Master Mariner b. 1822-1823 and he m. 1. Agnes Campbell.  Is it possible this is your man and his wife died before he married Malice Malone in Ireland? 

Am not sure what "Master Mariner" means.  Could he have been a captain?  Surely there would be marine records if he was.  Good luck

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauraine
Thanks for your response. A bit of a puzzle this guy. Maybe marine records will reveal more as you say. In later census' he is abt 13 years older than Alice so maybe another marriage is possible. One day I'll crack it!
thanks again
Sue
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Breaking news on this one.....I have found the marriage of Thomas and Alice which took place in Liverpool in May 1858. Thomas is described as a Mariner and his father is.......yes Thomas Robinson and his occupation is Mariner (or  maybe it says Farmer?!!!) So Iam still looking for a Thomas Robinson from Shetland!
sue

Offline anajinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 01:59 BST (UK) »
Am not sure what "Master Mariner" means.  Could he have been a captain?  Surely there would be marine records if he was.  Good luck

Lauraine

A master mariner is a ship's master, or captain. He is the big boss.

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response :o

Offline anajinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
By the way, somewhere I think there is a list of Catholic Churches in Liverpool - no doubt his wife was Catholic and they would have been married in a Catholic Church. In addition, you can request to view films of Seamen's tickets through the Church of Latter Day Saints - www.family-history.org

There is also someone online who has a list of Master Mariners,

Here is the link  http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKMasters.html

There were a lot of Shetlanders in Liverpool around this time. My great grandmother was one. She married another Shetlander (mariner) who was also in Liverpool at that time. He died within the year, I believe. They married in 1855. Someone in Scotland told me that, if a man called himself a mariner, it meant that he was in the navy, rather than just a seaman. They didn't explain whether they meant the Royal Navy or the Merchant Navy.
I am not sure, but I think there was a cholera epidemic in Liverpool around 1855, which might explain her husband's demise but there is no record found, yet, for his death, so he may have been lost at sea.
I am not sure, but I think there was a cholera epidemic in Liverpool around 1955

Offline Lee Bertrand

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 03:15 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was named Thomas Robinson and was a sea captain.  He was born around 1870.  He wrote his manuscript after he retired from going to sea and from what I can read of it he went to sea at the age of 10 in the year 1880.  Don't think it is the one you are looking for but might be related.  I am going to try and track him down through the Lloyds registry but they haven't listed the "R's" yet.