Author Topic: Pughs of Montgomeryshire  (Read 4212 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pughs of Montgomeryshire
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Happy new year!   :D

I am researching the Pugh family of Llanbrynmair. I have a possible parents of Moses Pugh bp 4 May 1760 in Garthbeiboi, Montgomeryshire, as John Pugh and Mary surname unknown.  
Moses and Sarah (nee Jones) married 17 Sep 1797 in Llanbrynmair, and had 8 children (possibly more)  Mary bp 27 Sep 1795 Plas Rheiwaeson, William bp 22 Oct 1793 Llanbrynmair, Moses bp 3 Sep 1790 Llanbrynmair, Richard bp 28 Dec 1804 Llanbrynmair, Thomas bp 15 Aug 1804 Tafolwern, Elizabeth bp 7 Dec 1806 Tafolwern, Sarah bp 25 June 1809 Tafolwern and Rowland (my 4x great grandfather) bp 4 Apr 1797 Lanbrynmair, Iron miner who married Catherine Herbert (Catherine born 1800 Swansea).
Can anyone help me with information on John Pugh and who he married and maybe their children starting with Moses who married Sarah Jones.  I am also a little unsure of the children of Moses and Sarah, as there appears a lot of 'Pughs' coming from Llanbrynmair.

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pughs of Montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish

HNY to you too  :)

To start you off I have these from Garthbeibio Bishop's Transcripts

Children of John Pugh and Mary:

John bpt. 22 July 1753
David bpt 11 June 1755
Moses bpt 4 May 1760
Rowland bpt 6 Feb 1764

Eyes playing up so can't do much more searching at the moment.

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I also have Mar bp 27.9.1795 Plas Rhiwaieson , Richard bp 28.12.1799 Llanbrynmair, Elizabeth bp 7.12.1806 Tafolwern, Sarah bp 25.06.1809 Tafolwern, not sure if these are all the children of Moses Pugh (bp 4.05.1760 Garthbeibio) & Sarah Jones (bp 17.09.1787 Llanbrynmair).  I also have parents of Moses Pugh as John Pugh and Mary surname unknown.  Can anyone help?  regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

What help do you want now, please?

Would you like a further search for more children to Moses and Sarah?

JL

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Hi, If you can find the marriage of John Pugh and Mary surname unknown?  Also if poss can you confirm the children of the same couple, as there seems to be an abundance of Pugh's in that area.  Many thanks trish

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish  :)

I'm suffering from 'gritty eyes' at the moment (think I did a photo restore when I shouldn't have - my  own silly fault)  but hope to be better tomorrow so will look then.

JL

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Best that I can do from my bits and pieces:

2 Sept 1795 Mary d/o Moses Pugh and Sarah of Rhiwsaeon

16 Aug 1815 Burial of Moses Pugh of Taf(olwern) , aged 54  (which would have him born circa 1760 so this looks like him)

I've just been checking the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society and the Powys FHS but they haven't produced any transcripts for Llanbrynmair

JL

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I can't find a marriage for them  around the date you said - 17 Sept 1797. Given that the first record of a child to them was in 1795, might this date be wrong  :-\

None of the Pughs in my Llanbrynmair/Darowen files seem to relate to your family apart from the ones that I've mentioned

What was/were the source/sources of the information that you already have?

JL

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for info, however the marriage I have of Moses Pugh to Sarah Jones 1803 Llanbrynmair, came from a fellow researcher.  I too thought that maybe the marriage was late, because of the birth dates of the children.  I am really stuck on this one and have hit the proverbial brick wall.    That is why I wanted/confirm the birth dates of the children, mmm difficult.  regards Trish