Author Topic: Dimambro - Durham  (Read 10498 times)

Offline gwarwick

• RootsChat Member
  • My Profile
    • View Profile
Dimambro - Durham
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help to find some information on Dimambro's in Durham area.

I have a Salvatore Dimambro who was born in Italy, but is on the 1901 and 1911 census. He was born about 1864, married an Elizabeth and was in business with his son.

In 1911 they were Ice Cream Manufacturers in Gilesgate, Durham trading as S Dimambro & Son.

I have found the 1914 Kellys directory for Durham which states they were trading at Gilesgate, Langley Park and Langley Moor. I have also found a photo online of the ice cream carts.

If anyone has any other directories from 1899 onwards and could look up Dimambro's in Durham it would be greatly appreciated. I think, by the children's birth dates, they arrived in UK about 1899/1900.

Is there anywhere I can look for arrivals of Italians to the UK?
Is there any way I can find information on old businesses?

Thanks for any help
Warwick: Scotland, Liverpool
Gordon: Liverpool
Calder: Scotland
Morgan: Staffordshire
Clamp: Staffordshire
Bannister: Staffordshire
Dacre: Staffordshire

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dimambro - Durham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:13 GMT (UK) »
If you search another web site 'rootsweb', you will see at least one post about the dimambro family who were well known in the County Durham area. try searching under italian ices.
There is also an entry in the london Gazette for 17.4.1936 regarding Giovanni Dimambros trading at 90 Claypath in Durham City.
I can't seem to copy any links in rootschat as it says you have to have copright to copy across.
North East of England

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:19 GMT (UK) »
There is also an interesting facebook entry that talks about Salvatore, guiseppe and vincenzo coming from cassino in 1895.It also talks about some moving to luton whilst one remained in durham . Again I cant copy it across, as rootschat wont let me. very frustrating but it must be there for a reason.
North East of England

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
You can't use 'paste' on look-up boards.
Use the 'control' and 'v' keys instead.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
If you search another web site 'rootsweb', you will see at least one post about the dimambro family who were well known in the County Durham area. try searching under italian ices.

See http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/eng-dur-sunderland/2004-09/1095785820

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »

If anyone has any other directories from 1899 onwards and could look up Dimambro's in Durham it would be greatly appreciated. I think, by the children's birth dates, they arrived in UK about 1899/1900.

In Kelly's 1902 Directory the Dunambro (sic) Brothers were at 10 Framwellgate & 76 New Elvet, Durham
In the 1914 Directory there is a Vincent Dimambro, confectioner, at 22 North Road, & 129 Milburngate, and S. Dimambro & Son, confectioners, at 82 Gilesgate, Durham. There are also  S. Dimambro & Son, Langley Park, Antonio Dimambro, Esh Winning, Dimambro & Co., Ushaw Moor, Antonio Dimambro, Fence Houses,
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gwarwick

• RootsChat Member
  • My Profile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies.

I thought the different Dimambro familes in Durham were linked, but haven't found the document to confirm it.

Thanks for the look ups in the 1902 Kellys Directory. The 1901 census confirms that Salvatore Dimambro was on Framwellgate, so looks like same.

I've had a look at the London Gazette. There's a few articles in there relating to Dimambro's, mainly those in Luton, so I have saved them all for reference.

Were any records kept for passengers from Italy to Uk?

Thanks again

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If you go to Paul Lanagan's website at www.houghtonlespring.org.uk  and  click on 'Articles' and then scroll down to 'Ice Cream & Sweets' you will find a reference to Dimambro's at Houghton-le-Spring.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline gwarwick

• RootsChat Member
  • My Profile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 January 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wearsider.

There were two ice cream businesses (from what I can tell) ran by Dimambro's. I think they were brothers. Difficult to know which business belonged to the family I am interested originally started by Salvatore and then with his son. I'm still trying to establish whether the businesses were merged or were the brothers rivals :-)

Thanks