Author Topic: Advice please - tracing a death  (Read 1977 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Advice please - tracing a death
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have already posted a similar message to this on a county board but thought I'd try here too for some more general advice!

It's rumoured that my 2xG Grandfather died on a railway line.

George Wright was born in 1865/6 and was alive in 1901. In 1919 he is shown on his daughter's marriage cert as a miner.

My mum says he died before she was born in 1946.

I've checked 1837online between 1919 & 1949 and found loads of George Wrights!! To narrow them down I have looked at the districts. If this story is true the rail line would have been between Easington & Hartlepool (West Hartlepool) districts. This left 4 deaths allowing a +/- 10 year age difference for how old he should have been. (Unsurprisingly not one matched the correct age!)

My question is does any one have any suggestions of a different way to approach this before I start ordering certificates that are more than likely the wrong ones?

Unfortunately I'm at the wrong end of the country to spend a few hours/days/weeks in the appropriate records office!

Cheers
tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please - tracing a death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 05 20:54 BST (UK) »
Try contacting the rail company. Most of the railway employees records would have been kept in a local office. My father worked on the line in Canada & some good information can be gotten from a co-operative personnel office.
Good hunting.
J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.A.M.

Unfortunately he didn't work on the railways (I didn't make that very clear, sorry!)  :-\

This was a regular walk he took along the rail line to get from one place to another!

Cheers
tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi tabitha,

The only thing I can think of is perhaps contacting a family history society in the area he would have been buried.  Quite often they produce local indexes of graves/cemeteries in the area.  Do you have any idea where he or his family were living at the time?  This is the route I am going down to find some deaths.  Shame you are too far away to look at newspapers as well. 

Debbie

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

I know where he should have been living!! Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if I can find a local society.

Cheers
tabitha

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 April 05 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tabitha

If you think you know where he was living when he died, i don't think you will need the actual address,.You could try emailing A local Library Reference room and inquire about papers they have. I am sure a death on a railway track if true would have been reported. A death year would help a lot though.Have a look on the net and see what Library's you can find in the area.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 April 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
 ;) ;) ;)

I know how you feel Tabitha -

According to oral family history my gt. grandfather William John Morris, was killed in an explosion when he was 37 (making it 1903/4), and although I have his address on the 1901 Census, he was a Railway Platelayer, which meant he could have been working anywhere - if he was killed at work that is.  He definitely wasn't alive on his daughter's marriage certifcate in 1917.

I've searched from 1901 to 1917 and not found a suitable entry, I've also been in touch with the local history library, and looked at newspapers.  As a Platelayer, he was employed by Contractors, so the Railway couldn't help either.

I'm sorry I don't have suggestions, but I thought you might like to know you are not alone.

;) ;) ;)

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of your help!

Mobo - it's nice to know someone else has a similar problem, it's so frustrating isn't it?

Cheers
tabitha

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
 >:( >:( >:(

AND HOW !!

>:( >:( >:(

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)