Author Topic: HOSKYN Burial Request  (Read 3151 times)

Offline River Raven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOSKYN Burial Request
« on: Monday 03 January 11 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I have two Hoskyns I am researching of interest.

Both are called Stephen Hoskyn. One was a blacksmith in St Enoder. One was his son born in 1655 in St Enoder then became a gentleman in Egloskerry. A story in itself for another day.

It would help a lot in rounding out their stories if I knew when both were buried. Who can help me or tell me where to look? In China lots of stuff is blocked or I dont have access. Thanks in advance.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOSKYN Burial Request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Try using the opc person search facility
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/personsearchdb.php
make sure you tick the box for similar sounding surnames
there are some possibilities

also have you tried the LDS beta search site
https://www.familysearch.org/
Bye
Althea

Offline searlehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I have family from Egloskerry that started there in the early 1700s and I have conducted extensive research into that parish.  By now you may have gotten the information you needed about Stephen Hoskyn of Egloskerry.   If not, here is what I was able to find from thr OPC database...
Stephen Hoskyne, son of Stephen, buried October 26, 1681.
Thomasin Hoskin, wife of Stephen, buried February 6, 1689.

After the death of Thomasin, Stephen likely remarried (although no marriage of it was recorded in Egloskerry) because...
Thomasine Hoskin, infant daughter of Stephen, buried December 26, 1695.
Stephen Hoskin, infant son of Stephen, buried January 7, 1699.
There is no christening record for either of these two infants in Egloskerry, which may indicate that either they died prior to being christened (at a few days old) or that they were christened in another parish (less likely).

Hoskins continued living in Egloskerry through the various censuses of the 19th century.  Hope this helps.  Would like to hear your "story" of the Hoskin family.

Duane Searle
Searle: Egloskerry and Launceston, Cornwall; Stoke Damerel and Plymouth, Devon; and Otago, New Zealand

Offline River Raven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 06:18 GMT (UK) »
My reply must be without many references as I am in China and it is Chinese New Year and I am about to go into a village far from anywhere. It is hence from memory and sorry a little messy in its writting.

Most of the facts come from the OPC Database, the National Archives, historical books and family oral history. Sometimes these show a slight clash. For example the spelling of Hoskyn. I am convinced that in the early 17th century it was spelt a number of ways by the same people. Books attest my later ancestors came from St Enoder to Launceston area and Egloskerry, but they are traced through both "Hocken", "Hoskyn", "Hosken" and "Hoskin". I believe the Stephen son of Stephen in Egloskerry that you referenced who died an infant was the "Stephen Hawkin" who died weeks later." I in my searches have found other matters like this. Once instance I can't call up now but the father was Hawkin or Hocken and the child was Hoskyn. That is not to say that every Hawkin, Hosken, Hoskin and Hoskyn is related. I just think long ago things got a little confused.

Anyhow here is what I have on Stephen Hoskyn.

Born 1655 to a yeoman in St Enoder. Had a younger brother called John.

Went to Launceston Grammar School (founded 1409).

After grammar school didn't return to St Enoder but went to Egloskerry where his uncle and aunt lived. This is where the record gets a little fuzzy. Robert was born in St Enoder as Robert Hocken and in Egloskerry is also Robert Hocken. Stephen's father was Stephen Hocken but Stephen in Egloskerry is Stephen Hoskyn.

In 1673 at the age of eighteen Stephen Hoskyn is found in the legal record doing 100 pounds worth of business with another gentleman. Called a gentleman at this time.

1678 married into the Ley family of Egloskerry (Thomasine Ley). Thomasine has been dear to the family ever since with my grandmother being named after her. Not sure of her appeal but it seems everyone remembers her to this day.

1679 Stephen's brother John married another of the Ley daughters (Katherine Ley). Stephen bought out Katherine's inheritance before the wedding for 184 pounds.

Stephen took over the Ley family home at some point about the time he was married. It is now the Hole Farm House in Egloskerry (Grade II listed building). The family stayed in the house for four generations abouts.

Thomasine died 1689 and about 1691/92 Stephen married Joan/Jane (depending on who you listen to) but you are write - there is no record of their wedding. I heard somewhere that a gentleman for a certain price could have it struck from the record - possibly in cases where it was a second wife or if the woman was already pregnant. Not sure of the law/custom or if this applies. Just a thought.

Stephen had more children with Joan.

Stephen's eldest son Peter returned to St Enoder when he came of age. Later married Grace Hoskyn of St Issey and gave Stephen grandchildren.

The last record of Stephen's life was in 1736 when he was in his eighties. His granddaughter had married a merchant Caleb Cotton of Fowey and Stephen Hoskyn along with a partner backed one of Cotton's mortgages for 300 pounds in 1624. The mortgage was released in 1736 and a few years later the property was sold to the Rashleigh family.

There is no record of his death. I would love to find it.

Anyhow, his eldest son Peter had William who in turn had John (? memory), who moved to Antony/Torpoint and had Richard. Richard's son John married into the Loney family there. Peter Loney was an officer in the RN and his biography is online. His son Nicholas Loney was the Consul (I forget the term as I have to run) of the Phillipines for a time. Richard Hoskyn's son John married Peter Ley's Elizabeth. John's children with Elizabeth then either joined the Royal Navy as well (Robert rose to rank of Rear Admiral) or went to do business in the Phillipines. Robert's son was in the merchant navy and after WWI moved to New Zealand where my family is from - though I now live in China. 

Offline karentit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
hi,
This is really funny, I was going through some paper work and came across my parents marraige cert.  I plugged in my grandmothers name into google as I've always been curious abuout my great grandfather.  When I found your post I noticed the name Tomasine appearing, which is my grandmothers middle name (and my sisters), her maiden surname being Hoskyn.  Then I realised - you are my cousin, your father is my godfather!

Matthew told me that you have moved to China and that you have a wife called Li.  I'm living in Scotland now and have been for about 6 years.  If you ever decide to come to the Uk to follow up your search on the family let me know.  Have you found much? 

Karen

Offline mallorytown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I am just learning to navigate RootsChat and have found a very interesting topic here.  I am the grandchild of Charles Reginald Hoskyn of Rugby and the 7x great granddaughter of the Stephen Hoskyn (or whatever!) and Thomasine Ley to whom you are referring.  Covid has trapped me in my basement doing my (our family) tree.  I am stuck going back at Stephen's grandfather, Thomas - 1586 and would love to get some hints to help me continue.

I was aware that there was a relative in China (River Raven), but haven't followed through on that thread.  I have found out a lot about the Hoskyn Family and would be happy to share my knowledge with anyone who is interested.

As regards Jone/Jane, I have found records of children Joan b. 6.12.1692, ; Thomasin b. 19.02.1694 d. bef. 2612.1695 (burried in woollen); Charity b.21.09.1697; and Stephen b. 6.06.1699 d.bef. 7.06.1699 (burried in woollen).All of the children were baptised in Egloskerry.

Offline mallorytown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I have just found information on https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/6?_q=stephen%20hoskyn which would seem to confirm that Stephen Hoskyn (1655) did indeed have a second wife and the children that I have already mentioned above.

"Short title: Hoskyn v Hoskyn.
Document type: Bill only.
Plaintiffs: Joan Hoskyn, spinster of Fowey, Cornwall, Charity Rounseval (widow of Gregory Rounseval, gent deceased) and Richard Chapman (said Joan Hoskyn and Charity Rounseval being two daughters of Stephen Hoskyn, gent deceased ate of Egloskerry, Cornwall).
Defendants: Peter Hoskyn, Philip Welsh, Richard Hornabrooke and William Hoskyn."

There are many references to Hoskyns in the documents, but I find them hard to understand. Maybe someone else can whittle out the salient information and let us know what it is...

Are we having fun yet?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 December 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, mallorytown.

You are commenting on a very old thread, and River Raven did not reply to karentit and has not used the boards since 2011.

Someone may get back to you with more information, let us hope it does not take another 9 years.