Author Topic: Completed with Thanks to all - Griffiths Ackerman marriage info  (Read 6758 times)

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks to all - Griffiths Ackerman marriage info
« on: Monday 03 January 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to get information that might be on the marriage licence of John Griffiths to Kathleen Akerman in Cardiff in 1945?  A search on Ancestry gives me the registration page of their marriage but no further information.  They are listed in Vol 11a page 940.  I am hoping to find out John Griffiths' parents names and where he is from.  I have the Akerman/Ackerman info already.  I just can't seem to track down John's information.  He died in British Columbia, Canada in the 1980s.  I think he might have a brother, Delwynn or Dillwyn, that married Kathleen's sister.

I sure would appreciate any help.
Dalkeith, SCT: Lees, Waldie
Kirkcaldy, SCT: Cook, Easton
Edinburgh, SCT: Lees, Waldie, Hunter, Allan, Easton
St Cuthbert, SCT: Lees, Waldie
Dundee, SCT: Allan, Lees, Easton, Boyd
Kilsyth, SCT: Boyd
Buittle, SCT: Easton
Glasgow, SCT: Easton
Ontario, CANADA: Oliver
Saskatchewan, CANADA: Easton, Gee, Oliver, Prutton
Hertfordshire, ENG: Prutton

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup pls - Griffiths Ackerman marriage info
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 11 09:59 GMT (UK) »
The way to obtain that information is to buy the certificate. For obvious reasons data on living people should not  be easily accessed on a public databases.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information. 

Just so as to clear up any misunderstandings - both John Griffiths and Kathleen Ackerman Griffiths are both deceased, as is their son, Kevin John b. 1949 in Ely, Wales.  Kevin was my first husband and for Christmas my kids asked if I would research their father's genealogy.  Since we live in Canada and the family information is in Wales ( from whence they immigrated in the 1950s) I thought I would try a posting to see if I could find any information to get a starting point.

I know it's a long shot but I thought maybe there was some way or someone who might have access to the Registry Volumes that might give information on where John Griffiths was born and who his parents were.  I thought possibly library access?

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As Hackstaple is offline......   the only way to find the information is to buy a copy of the certificate but it will not show where he was born and will only list his father and his occupation.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nanny....even the father's name and occupation would help.  I have done a thorough search of all John Griffiths in southern Wales and have made a list to try and center on the right one by elimination if possible.  The posting here on Rootschat was a long shot but thought it worth a try.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Even if a member of Rootschat had access to that register, as by working there, it would be illegal to divulge the information. Living in Canada is no bar to receiving certificates.  The fee converts to about $15 CAN and that includes postage.
www.gro.gov.uk and follow the menus.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 11 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

Do you know any details of John's death? If you know when and where and approximate age, it may help track down the entry in the death index and to pinpoint when he was born.

With a fairly common name you will have to buy certificates to be confident that you are tracing the right family. He's likely to be born too late for 1911 census so it's not going to be easy!

Kind regards
Morgan

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 00:34 GMT (UK) »
John Griffiths died in 1982 in British Columbia Canada.  I only found out by phone call from my sister's mother in law who saw the notice in a local newspaper in a town some miles away.  I don't have a copy of the notice so am not sure of his exact age.  John taught my brother's soccer team in Maple Ridge, British Columbia in the 1970s and I know he was older than my father so I am guessing he was born about 1920-1925.  John and Kathleen emmigrated to Canada in the 1950s after adopting two boys in Wales.  Their adopted son, Kevin John, was born in 1949 in Ely, Wales and died in 1999 in British Columbia, Canada.  Both John and Kevin died of cancer, and Kathleen died of ALS ( Lou Gherig's Disease). 

Kevin's biological mother was Caroline G. Wyatt (d/o Thos Wm Wyatt and Gladys May Gasher). Caroline's sister, Orontos, married Dilwyn Griffiths and we believe Dilwyn and John might have been brothers.  The Griffiths / Akerman marriages both took place in Cardiff.   John + Kathleen's in 1945 and Orontos + Dilwyn's in 1949 ( Orontos was a widow).

My children would like to know more about the family if they can.

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Oops...just reread my posting and want to make a correction: 

Kathleen Akerman's sister, Orontos, married Dilwyn Griffiths in 1949.

Caroline Wyatt's sister, Dorothy, married Kathleen Akerman's brother, Frank.

The Griffiths, Akerman, and Wyatt families seemed to have intermarried and, according to information passed to us, the Ackerman and Griffiths families adopted illigitimate children born to Caroline Wyatt.