Author Topic: family- Crockford  (Read 7960 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: family- Crockford
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I think the ball is now in Crocky's court. I'm still unsure what is known and what is still required. (I suspect we may have gone over some old ground ...  ;))
 ;D

That's what I thought but then I thought (too much thinking really!) that Wexford isn't Cork  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Um, yes. True.

I wonder where Cork came from in the first place?  :-\

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I have an idea but I think, as you say, we will wait for Crocky  :)

Offline crocky66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:25 GMT (UK) »
hi folks my great gramps henry micheal crockford was born in 1866 in queenstown co cork ireland his dad was born 1837 want info going back as i have it going forward  hope this helps a little more thanks

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello crocky,

I hope this helps you too. It is best that you say exactly what you have and what you need.
Your initial query,
" looking for any info on henry crockford 1837 onwards thanks"

asked for exactly what has been given- the revelation of your family over the years which we thought was of help to you. It took quite a lot of my time and probably Ruskie's until we realised as a result of one of your remarks that you already had most of the information. ::)
You could have said after the post with the 1851 census that you already had much of the info re Henry and of course the later info re his birth in Wexford and not Cork.
I hope that you can now work with the information which has been given to you, using the Family Search site also mentioned.

I must add that I enjoyed looking for the family and putting them together for you but my advice is that, in future, you are more explicit with your needs.

best wishes
heywood  :)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm coming rather late to this thread but I hope the following may help to establish Henry's birth place.

Using the Coast Guard Establishment Books I have traced William's service from his Nomination, in Dec 1831, with a first posting to Rosslare. On 2-9 July 1837 he was removed to Carnsore, and then on 4 July 1838 to Garrison Point in England. In December 1843 he was transferred to Cockleshell Hard, Kent. 

Just out of interest during the Crimean War William was one of those CG's who volunteered for service in the Navy, with a posting to HMS Cressy. Unfortunately he must not have been up to the task - since he was over 50 I'm not surprised, so was discharged on 11 March 1854, and never saw active service.

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant Martin.
I had tried to find something out by searching for coastguard info but couldn't find it  :)

I think you found something out the other day about another person we were looking for- I will have to try to remember you for future  ;)

cheers
heywood

Offline crocky66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
sorry if i sent you up the garden path as i only found info 2 days ago was getting carried away with it all  i want to try and go back as far as poss  so any info i can get is appreciated so im sorry to heywood and ruskie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow Martin - what a great find!

sorry if i sent you up the garden path as i only found info 2 days ago was getting carried away with it all i want to try and go back as far as poss so any info i can get is appreciated so im sorry to heywood and ruskie
Don't worry about it crocky - it's an interesting family you have, so it's fun to search for them.