Author Topic: climo family  (Read 13185 times)

Offline Newstarter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: climo family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, 
 Great to see the replies.Will try and clear a few things up hopefully.
William Henry Cornish Climo was born 1858 in Penzance. The other William Henry b1860 in St. Austell is a different one.
He was definitely born illegitimately to Ann Climo who was also born in Penzance in 1840.
On his marriage certificate to Beatrice Annie Bennetts he states his father as John. This i believe was really his Grandfather (Anns Father,John Saunders Climo).
William Henry, John Saunders and John Saunders/sanders before him were all Tailors.No miners.

The mystery for me is what happened to William Henry.
I do know that his wife Beatrice Ann remarried around 1886 using her maiden name Bennetts.
The story is that William Henry also remarried (cannot find anything) to a Mary from Porthleven, Cornwall and moved to Paddington, London using the surname Cornish.
He later ended up in Bristol Prison where he died.
What i need is something to prove that William Henry Climo and William Henry Cornish are the same person.

Regarding the 1881 Census William Henry did live in Redinnick Terrace with Martha Sanders as  a neighbour. This was his Aunt, his mother Anns sister.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 February 13 20:15 GMT (UK) »
William Henry Cornish Climo was born 1858 in Penzance

He was definitely born illegitimately to Ann Climo who was also born in Penzance in 1840.

The mystery for me is what happened to William Henry. The story is that William Henry also remarried (cannot find anything) to a Mary from Porthleven, Cornwall  moved to Paddington, London using the surname Cornish.

He later ended up in Bristol Prison where he died.

What i need is something to prove that William Henry Climo and William Henry Cornish are the same person.

Perhaps Ann gave a clue to his father's surname on his birth entry of William Henry Cornish Climo  :-\

1891 & 1901 census show William H Cornish & Mary have two daughters one of their birth certificates should give you their mother’s maiden name,
perhaps that might give you a lead to a possible marriage or maybe they didn't marry  :-\

Census show
Margaret J b1889 London

birth entry
Margaret Jane Cornish Dec 1888 Paddington London vol 1a page 76

and
Mary M b1898 London

birth entry
Mary Malbena Cornish Mar 1898 Paddington vol 1a page 70

Did Margaret Jane Cornish marry an Arthur Mundy in Bristol 1910?

Have you looked for Mary on latest census we can't post details indicates a marriage c1887

A long process you could look at all the Mary's born c 1868 Porthleven on 1881 census
and see if you can match any to William

this is the only marriage I've come up with around 1887 but it's in Devon & Mary has a middle name  ???

Dec 1886 St Thomas
William Cornish
Mary Grace Browning

as previously mentioned the birth certificate of one of the daughters would solve the mystery of her maiden name
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newstarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 February 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Ladyhawk,
                    I will order one of his daughters birth certificates to find her maiden name. To be honest i had forgotten they included the mothers former name.
His daughter Margaret did marry Arthur Mundy and his wife then lived with them while he was in prison.

Do you know of any way i could find out if this William Henry Cornish is actually William Climo?

Regards
Newstarter

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 February 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »

Do you know of any way i could find out if this William Henry Cornish is actually William Climo?

Difficult to say I don't know of any easy way of checking  ???

perhaps cross referencing birth entries with census entries and eliminate each one as you go 

but I can only see two for 1859 Cornwall
 William Henry Cornish Registration district Stratton and
William Henry Cornish Climo registration district Penzance

on the census 1881-1911 he's given his pob as Penzance so I can only assume he dropped his surname of Climo after 1881 census for whatever reason

Have you followed his mother Ann through the censuses - did she marry or did she have more children?

there's a Ann Climo b 1840 Penzance on 1871/1881/1891 with a daughter named Melvina b1864 son William J born b1867 Plymouth Devon, she's noted as unmarried 1871 - 1881 & widowed 1891- 1911  :-\

ADDED

You can eliminate the William Henry Cornish birth entry 1859 Stratton

bapt Kilhampton parents Phillp & Mary Anne

1861/71 born Kilkhampton with parents

1881/91 b1860 Kilkhampton Ag Lab. married to Mary Jane

marriage 1880 Stratton William Henry Cornish to Mary Jane Hamley

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newstarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 February 13 23:01 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Ladyhawk ,

I think i will just have to assume they are one of the same person.
I did check the censuses for his mother Ann and although it says widowed on the 1901 i don't think she ever married. She still had the name Climo.
You are correct, she had two further children Melvina and William john which makes me think even more that he is the same person because William Henry Climo named his son (my Grandfather) William John and William Henry Cornish gave one of his daughters the middle name Melvina.

Once again Thankyou for your help.

Offline Amber1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 August 14 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Fellow Climo's!

So, since my last post we have found a long-standing error in our tree regarding John Saunders Climo.

Our James Climo was long believed to be the son of Christopher Climo & his wife Mary Booking. However, records obtained since show that James Climo is in fact the son of James Saunders Climo & his wife Mary Mann. So my records now show this:

John Saunders Climo:
BORN: May 26 1799, Bodmin Cornwall.
DIED: Feb 14 1847, Bodmin Cornwall
MARRIED: Mary Mann (also known as Tarman?) 6 May 1821, Bodmin, Cornwall.
CHILDREN:
Margaret Saunders Climo 1819 - 1819 (died in infancy)
James Climo 1820-1911 (my 4th gr.grandfather, who emigrated to NZ with his wife Jane nee Phillips).
Abraham Saunders Climo 1822 - ?
Catharine Bullock Climo 1823 - ?
Henrietta Ponson Climo 1825 - ?
Ann Climo 1828 - ? (is this the Ann Climo, mother of William?)
Elizabeth Climo 1830 - ?

I found James Climo's birth record via the Cornwall online Parish registry which proves his parentage. James lived to the grand old age of 91 (4 mths shy of 92) and is buried in Havelock, New Zealand. At the time of his death, he had 250 living descendants here in NZ alone.

"William Henry Cornish Climo was born 1858 in Penzance. The other William Henry b1860 in St. Austell is a different one.
On his marriage certificate to Beatrice Annie Bennetts he states his father as John. This i believe was really his Grandfather (Ann's Father, John Saunders Climo).
William Henry, John Saunders and John Saunders/Sanders before him were all Tailors. No miners."

I'm thinking your Ann might be the same Ann that is in my tree - born 10 years earlier though?
There's definitely only one John Saunders in our tree ... maybe Ann was born later?
Has got me thinking now!  ???
POPE ANCESTORS: Whiting, Phillips, Cock/Cox, Whiting, Martin, Langley, Lee, Ryder, Parnell, Glubb, Prinn, Avery, Crispine, Pill ... to be cont.
CLIMO ANCESTORS: Cock, Mann, Burton, Bunster, Goodfellow, Hambely, Hocking, Body...
Phillips, Lily, Hockyn ... to be cont.
CLARKE ANCESTORS:Holloway, Hinchcliffe, Casey, Wren
JONES ANCESTORS: Hall, Edgar, Thompson ... to be cont.
COTTON ANCESTORS: Nye, Brown ... to be cont.
ANDERSON/SIMPSON (gr.grandfather's family unknown).
WILMSHURST/ CULE ANCESTORS .

Offline Amber1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 August 14 03:30 BST (UK) »
I'm reading through the Climo book to see if anything might match up for you:

John Saunders Climo m. Mary Mann in 1818

1819 - Margaret Saunders -died in infancy
1820 - James Climo
1822 - Abraham Saunders Climo
1823 - Catharine Bullock Climo
1825 - Henrietta Ponson Climo
1828 - Ann Climo
1830 - Elizabeth Climo

Is there another daughter, Martha, that you mentioned previously?
POPE ANCESTORS: Whiting, Phillips, Cock/Cox, Whiting, Martin, Langley, Lee, Ryder, Parnell, Glubb, Prinn, Avery, Crispine, Pill ... to be cont.
CLIMO ANCESTORS: Cock, Mann, Burton, Bunster, Goodfellow, Hambely, Hocking, Body...

Offline Newstarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 August 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
The only James Climo in my records born around that time is James Booking Climo born 1822 and married a Amelia .....?? in Devon in 1841 after which they emigrated to New Zealand arriving April 1st 1841. He died 1911, Eleven children were reported and many,many descendents in New Zealand.
I have no record of James being born to John Saunders Climo.
The first John Saunders was born to Matthew and Ann Sanders in 1789. He married at least three times maybe four. He married a Mary Rowe ? in 1808 and the second John Saunders was born 1811.
The second John Saunders married Amelia Moon/Beckerleg who had Ann (my GGGrandmother) in 1840 and also another John Saunders who emigrated to Canada.

Offline Amber1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 September 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
James Climo who married Amelia and emigrated to NZ is my 4th gr.grandfather. He was born on 28 January 1820, in Bodmin Cornwall :)
He emigrated to NZ with his wife Jane Phillips (b.1821 St. Kew, Cornwall) whom he married in Stoke Damerel, Devon, on 30 October 1840. They arrived in New Plymouth NZ on 31 March 1841 on the ship, William Bryant, with Jane's widowed mother, Ann Phillips and her siblings in tow. They had 12 children, the eldest of which, Elizabeth Catherine Climo (later Pope) was the first European baby born in Taranaki. She was born on 08 November 1841. She is my 3rd gr. grandmother.
Jane died in Inglewood, NZ on 01 July 1884 of Tuberculosis & is buried in Inglewood cemetery. James married Amelia Russell (nee Kingcombe) the following year. She became a friend of James & Jane - a widow herself, she helped James nurse Jane through her illness. James & Amelia married in Halcombe, Manawatu on 24 June 1885. They moved to Havelock, in Marlborough, NZ where they lived until their deaths - James died on 11 Sept. 1911 at the age of 91 and Amelia died 3 months later on 22 December 1911 and they are buried in Havelock Cemetery.
From all the stories I have read about James, he was a very remarkable character. To live to the age of 91 in those times is a great feat. He did not retire until the age of 81, so the family stories go. He was a sawyer but he was also a respected herbalist - he learnt the Maori language fluently, and learnt everything about the culture and was respected among local Maori. He knew plants and flowers inside out. He was known for his walkabouts - he & Jane were ship-wrecked off the coast of Kawhia, and carrying their two young children on their shoulders, they walked 150 miles through dense bush, fording rivers and only receiving help from local Maori, not the missonaries. It has been noted that he also walked on foot from Auckland to New Plymouth and on another adventure, he walked from Havelock to Lyttleton, near Christchurch. (This probably one of his secrets to his longetivity)!

We have John Saunders Climo born to Thomas Climo (13 Sept 1738 - 13 Feb 1823) who married Catherine Burton (1758 - 13 Feb 1846). They married 25 December 1782 in Truro, Cornwall. John Saunders Climo was born 26 May 1799 in Egloshayle, Cornwall. He was the 8th-born child (10 children were born to Thomas & Catherine). He married Mary Mann (also known as Tarman) on 26 May 1818. John died 14 February 1847 and Mary died in 1861.

Our family records show John and Mary as James' parents and have done for many years but I know of a long-standing confusion/mystery of James Booking Climo and James Climo throughout the family. There is a baptism record for James Climo, son of John and Mary that exists from 1822 but there are 2 James Booking Climos recorded to have been born to Christopher and Mary Climo - one year apart (b. 1821 and 1822); the first of these two dying in infancy in 1822. There is a baptism record for a James Climo, in 1822, and he was the son of John and Mary.
I'm thinking this is where the confusion has begun?  ???