Poll

can anyone help me find my great grandfather

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: 1841 or 1851 cenus lokkup help''''''''  (Read 584 times)

Offline rleach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 or 1851 cenus lokkup help''''''''
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:39 BST (UK) »
help i am desperate to find my gr gr grandfather place of birth in england i have tried all resources i can in the usa. my next course woudl be to try and locate him in the 1841 and 1851 census the porblem is ido not know what town he came from i have very little info i only know that he was born november 23,1836 according to the 1900 usa census and his death cert states a different date november 20,1835 but i would guess the census one is correct he immigrated to the us in 1862 so i can not check any later english census he was a iron moulder  so maybe his occupation will be a clue to what area i am desperate if anyone can help please do i would be grateful for any help

thomas james howard mostlywent by thomas born 11.23.1836
thomas howard, kirwans from thurles tipperary, and mcglynn form ireland

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 or 1851 cenus lookup help''''''''
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, When did he arrive in the US?, Also did he marry in the UK or the US? Also his birthdate is ambiguous, the dates could be either, as Census birthyears are often incorrect, and sometimes individuals also didn't actually know their birthdate/year, It does sound strange but it did happen! When searching I would go either side of those years given as a precaution when searching for records.

His occupation may not give clues as to where he was from, this occupation was well known around the Country as Industrial employment overtook agricultural employment in England, to name a few: Wolverhampton and places in Sussex (Wealden Iron Industry) were associated with the Iron Industry Also it has to be said that 70% of all output came from South Wales (not England).

So unfortunately  :( you may be clutching at straws to focus completely on your ancestors occupation, as this employment was in constant demand.

Do you know anymore about his life when he arrived in the US? The 'paper trail clues' he may have left may yield answers for us with the resources searching in the UK

Kindest Regards Jen  :)