Author Topic: Thomas O'Brien of Enniscorthy  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Thomas O'Brien of Enniscorthy
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping to find the birth record of Thomas O'Brien born in Enniscorthy, County of Wexford, on 12th March, 1789 or 1799 to parents Jean or John O'Brien and Marguerite or Margaret Read. The christian names I have are from their French marriage document, as Thomas married Marie-Thérèse Félicité Vanvincq in Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, on 5th August 1828.

There appears to be some discrepancy in this marriage document as it states that Thomas was born on 12th March, 1789 but that he is 29 years old at the time in 1828, whereas he would have been about 39 years old if he was indeed born in 1789. (It might well be that he was born in 1799, as the error would be between writing mille sept cent quatre vingt neuf and mille sept cent quatre vingt dix neuf, i.e. forgetting to write the "dix".)

As I have absolutely no experience in looking for records in this part of Ireland or, indeed, in Ireland at all, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of any resources that might be available, as I have not so far come up with anything seemingly useful.

Many thanks.

Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O'Brien of Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
To locate details as early as this you need to check what, if any, parish records are availabale. Do you know what religion your O'Brien family were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Details of records available for the RC parish ...

see : RC Parish of Enniscorthy  (Irish Times)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for your reply, Shane. I should have seen that first link myself. I believe he would have been from the Church of Ireland. It doesn't look to hopeful in terms of the records available. Many thanks, Alan.
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Church of Ireland records for St. Mary's/Templeshannon (Enniscorthy town is split between two civil parishes) start in 1798 and cover baptisms, marriages and burials. These are held by the Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarmham, Co. Dublin. Website : www.ireland.anglican.org/library

Shane
My Surname Interests