Author Topic: Sykes Crest  (Read 18290 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes Crest
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 January 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
You will find it useful to look at "Sykes Baronets" on Wikipedia which details the various Baronets and their lines.

This shows that the Sledmere Baronetcy was created in 1783 for the Reverend Mark Sykes and that the title has now descended to the eighth Baronet.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 January 11 13:54 GMT (UK) »
ahh okay :) my dad is called Mark Sykes! :) i need to go back further in my fam. only gone back till 1792

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 January 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
ahh okay :) my dad is called Mark Sykes! :) i need to go back further in my fam. only gone back till 1792.

These might assist:

Burke's Peerage & Baronetage 1833

Debrett's Baronetage of England 1835
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
ok thank you very much, if the ring was given to one of my ancestors that'll be weird, but the thing is all my fathers cousins and my grandads side of the family have the rings and my dad has cuff links with the crest on aswell.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 February 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
There has to be some sort of family connection between my family and the sledmere's. I've done a family tree for the Sykes' of Sledmere and various children are unknown, maybe one of the unknown children could be my connection?

The family crest has been in my family for generations, i made a mistake earlier on in the topic. The ring wasn't passed on. Every member of my family has had a signet ring with the crest. Also my great grandfather and great great uncle have a gold pocket watch with the crest on the back also.

I've read the papers of the Sykes' of Sledmere and it goes into detail about them moving to Leeds.

Furthermore, a few of Sykes' of Sledmere married more than once, maybe that could also be our connection? The Sykes' of Sledmere are indirectly related to Queen Elizabeth II of England.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have just realized what i have said. I am sorry.

I said that a signet ring was passed on, but i am mistaken. My father meant that he got given a signet ring with the crest when he was 21. All of our cousins in England have the family crest as well.

I was a novice last year, sorry for the inconveniance!

The crest that i described appears to be the crest of the Sykes's of Sledmere but now i think that it might not be the sledmeres. It looks like a variation of the following crest. http://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=177171&name=Sykes

I will also attach the signet ring casting that i found yesterday in my grandfathers desk.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Black = Original Casting!

Red = Testing of Signet ring

I was thinking that our crest could be a different version of the sledmeres one? as we don't have the reeds and the posture of our crest is different.

Our crest looks a lot like the one i posted before:

Family:
Sykes

Blazon:
A Demi-Man In Profile Holding In The Dexter Hand A Fountain And Resting The Sinister Hand On A Whelk-Shell Sa.

Source:
Fairbairn's Book of Crests, 1905 ed.

Underneath the crest it says: Frederick William, J.P., Green Lea, Lindley, Huddersfield

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=177171&name=Sykes

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
List of Sykes Crests from 'Fairbairn's Book of Crests'