Author Topic: 2nd Boer War Look Up - Polish/Austrian soldier Michal Jakuboski/Jacobowicz  (Read 4402 times)

Offline katpac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I recently found a very interesting archived newspaper article from 1952 (Springfield Republican, Massachusetts, USA) about my Austrian/Polish immigrant GR Grand Uncle Michael (Michal) M. Jakuboski (many spelling variations including Jacobowicz). The article talks about how he was recruited by the British to fight as a calvaryman in the Second Boer War in 1897 at age 18 and some of his experiences including being captured.   He was born in 1880.  Article says at the age of 21, he returned to Poland (before immigrating to the United States).

Am looking for any British military records that might pertain to his service during this time and might tell me more about him, like what town he was born in (probably somewhere in Galicia), etc.  Can anyone help me find any records?

Happy to share the article if anyone is interested. The PDF file was too large to attach here.

Thanks! Kathleen

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Boer War Look Up - Polish/Austrian soldier Michal Jakuboski/Jacobowicz
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen

The Boer War started in 1899 rather than 1897. I have checked the medal rolls for both the regular cavalry units and the Imperial Yeomanry which was raised (in the UK) in early 1900. He is not listed. If the story is true he is more likely to have travelled to South Africa and enlisted in one of the 80-100 irregular mounted infantry units/Town Guards created at the start of the war.

Unfortunately there is no overall database. You could check the medal rolls on Ancestry. But my understanding is that this is not complete. Otherwise you will need to do regular checks here - http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html - checking the WO127 and WO128 records that are slowly being indexed.

It would also be worthwhile researching passenger lists to and from South Africa in case he did travel independently. But again these are not complete.

Ken

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

I would be interested to see the article. I am not aware that the British recruited the Polish. What i do know is that many Polish fought on the Boer side against the British. Chances are he was part of the foreign contingent of Boer volunteers.

If you want more info you can contact me. We have many experts and historians on facebook. The group is called The Anglo-Boer War (South African War) 1899 -1902

Or you can email me on facebook by finding my name.

Regards,

Henri

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 11 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Katleen
Cannot help with your query but wanted to thank Ken and Henri for their invaluable tips and website links. I had given up trying to trace a Gt uncle but this has given renewed vigor.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
(@Kathleen. I contacted you on facebook to add you to the group)

I will paste some info about the Polish in South Africa here.

Famous Polish captain, Leo Pokrowski

His monument can be seen here:
http://www.amajubaexperience.co.za/Utrecht/dutchreformchurch.htm

To get an idea of the Foreign Volunteers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_foreign_volunteers

Excerpt from  a book:

The book is divided into two parts. The first, "In the crucible of war", is an anecdotal account of the participation of the Russian volunteers in the South African War. Estimates put the number of foreign volunteers who fought for the Boers at roughly 2500, of whom 225 were "Russians". These numbers are disputable, because the Boer republics registered volunteers only during the first two months of the war. No complete list of names of the Russian volunteers exists. Fewer than 50 of them are known by name (p. 45). All "Russian" volunteers were not ethnic Russians. Many of them were Jewish emigres from Russia, who had come to the Transvaal before the war (p. 50). Others came from the Baltic states or parts of Eastern Europe (pp. 49,50,56). Both staunch monarchists and future Bolsheviks were among the volunteers. - http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=2919

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
THEY GAINED BUT THEY ALSO GAVE

Some of the contributions to Southern Africa - Past and present

Two and a quarter centuries of Croatian presence in Southern Africa is a very long time indeed. The reasons for their coming to the country are now known. As a post scriptum to the story, however, an attempt should be made to describe their contributions, not only to South Africa but also to the Rhodesias and Mocambique.

Fifteen years ago, during a B.B.C. television interview, a well-known Hungarian-born British public figure was asked how he could reconcile the fact that he was such an important citizen of Britain and yet be proud of his Hungarian origin. He replied: "You see I have no problem of divided loyalties. Hungary is my mother and Britain my wife. The first brought me into this world and the second I have willingly chosen as a partner for life."

Perhaps the Croatian presence in this part of the world and their contributions to South Africa should be viewed in a similar, if not the same, light.

Not much is known of the activities of the first arrivals more than 220 years ago. However, it seems that both Franciscus Drago and josip Ciganb@ settled well in Cape Town. Their Last Wills and Testaments show that they were in possession of some property and had more than fair financial means at their disposal, Having received burghership rights, it seems they became respected citizens, enjoying the fruits of their work and their earlier service with the Dutch East India Company.

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Jeronim Marinkovic who came to this country more than 70 years later chose a different type of life. He, as is known, became a farmer - not an easy profession in those days. However, after marrying, with hard work and perseverance he established his farm "Vrolykheid", which is still very much in existence. Already in 1865 he was writing to the Colonial Secretary to inquire about the acquisition of another farm, for which he paid £31.2.8 as surveying expenses. He and his family prospered and their present status in this country is very much due to the pioneering work of Gerolamo Marinkovic, their great-grandfather, who arrived in Cape Town in 1829, with not much more than a lot of energy and willingness to work hard. This feature was displayed by many arrivals from Croatia in the years to come.

Then there were known and unknown sailors, who plied the seas around South Africa. People like Captain Vicenzo Zibilich, Captain Gabriel Francisco Madenic, boatman Paul Mattowich and others who directly or indirectly made their contributions to this country.

It seems that Nicholaas Mattowich, who in the early 1860s became a dealer in liquors in Cape Town, was the first Croat to have owned an inn (the Blue Anchor Inn) in the Cape Colony and therefore in South Africa.

However, most of the early to mid 19th Century arrivals worked as seamen or, more often, as farm labourers. With the advent of the railways some decided to try their skills there and just about every railway line that was built in South Africa and Rhodesia attracted workers from Croatia.

There were no engineers and clever constructors among them. They just performed the basic work in the best way they could. In doing this they contributed in no small way to the growth of the railways in South Africa. Some time later an Austrian company was asked to do construction work in Cape Town harbour; and almost all the people brought to do the work there were from Croatia.

In his well-known work "Croatians Abroad" (Hrvati Izvan Domovine) the author, V. Holjevac, displayed an early photograph of Croatian workers working in what was believed to be Cape Town harbour.

The South African mining era, which started with the discovery of diamonds in Kimberley, created a situation in which further contributions by the Croats were made possible. One should perhaps ask here: "How much does one value a human life?" Surely in an ordinary sense no price can be attached to it. However, like others, the Croats worked in the Kimberley mines and a number of them left their bones there. Nearly all those who died in the diamond mines were young men aged between 20 and 30. Some of them managed to reach Kimberley Hospital and some died in the mine shafts. Nearly 100 years ago in 1882, Tripo Vucinovic ended his life in an accident in one of the shafts belonging to the famous French Company.

When the gold started to glisten at Pilgrims Rest, Barberton and later on in Johannesburg, they followed the others and went to work there. Perhaps the most prominent of the known early miners was Andrew Lizerevic. He must have come to South Africa well before 1867, as when he died in 1877 in Pilgrims Rest the Imperial Austrian Consulate informed the executors of his Will that Stefano Marco Lizerevic, the deceased's father, had died back home in 1867. His mother had passed on in 1872. He had his own house in Pilgrims Rest and left some mining claims and £150 in cash. He was a "gold digger", a profession unlikely to have originated in Croatia but something that he had acquired in South Africa, He and others like him created the saga of Pilgrims Rest, the saga that heralded the beginning of South Africa's golden future.

The Barberton gold rush came and went and with it, literally, some of the Croats who ventured there. Then came the building of the Eastern Railway Line between Pretoria and Delagoa Bay, and the work-hungry Croats joined the other railway construction workers there.

Some who could not do much else did physical construction work, some made their mark as masons, bricklayers and stone cutters. As small contractors, like the brothers Postic, they built some of the railway stations, They worked there and they lost their lives there. among others, at the age of 37, Ivan Moporic died on March 20th 1891. The place of death was recorded as Komati Spoorweg (Komati Railway).

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
When all this was over, most of them moved to Johannesburg to join the considerable force of other Croatian miners, who were already working in the Rand mines, Some of them even came from the United States, men like Nikola Primic who, with eight other Croats, was sent to sink mine shafts in South Africa. There they experienced and saw it all - the working under difficult conditions and dying as a result of it. They were there with the Beits, Wernhers, Rhodeses, Robinsons and Barnatos.

They witnessed their triumphs, their politics, their Jameson Raid and the rise and full of their dreams and planned empires. And then the Boer - or the South African - War came.

They liked old President Kruger and his republic; and as they were not interested in politics, they cared little whether they could vote or not.

Even their folk at home in Croatia showed their sympathy for the Boer cause during the war. As witness to this one can still find in South Africa specially printed postcards that came from Zagreb and other Croatian towns and that were addressed to President Kruger. On one of them there was a printed picture of President Kruger and a poem. Translated into English the little poem/message read, approximately:

"Croatian greetings to the Boer Heroes,
Croatian greetings to you proud heroes
The fighters for freedom of your homeland.
May your arms be blessed by the rays of fortune.
Through it may the freedom sunshine come upon you.
Long live the Boers and their leader,
President Paul Kruger."

On this occasion the card came to Pretoria on the March 19th, 1902 and was posted in a town called Sisak by a young schoolboy, Josip Snaric.

The Croats in South Africa fought in the Boer forces, served as mine - and ordinary - policemen and were very disappointed when in the end the Boers lost the war.

By 1904 some had already become small traders, like Miho and Julius Kuculo from Peljesac who owned a store in Pilgrims Rest. When the latter died in the 1920s his death certificate described him as a "store and gold mine owner".

Offline Henri.LeRiche

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
At around this time some of the early arrivals from Croatia established themselves as small employers of labour. In this connection Angelo Stipinovich gave work guarantees to the immigration authorities in Durban for Josip Vladislavic, who came from Brac. The same happened to Krsto Glavovic who worked for A. Lasic from Peljesac. Most of those who owned and ran the so-called "Kaffir eating-houses" had a few employees working for them. just before the First World War these were: F. Knezovic, M. Baleta, S. Vrdoljak, M. Spaleta, J. Knezovic, A. Mestrovic and so on. Then there was G. Miholovic, who had a dairy and employed others, L, Opotic a contractor, A. Vrnjas a farmer and Mato Vitkovic, reputed to be the first Croatian butcher on the Rand. However, most of them still made their living and contributions to this country deep underground in the gold mines of the Transvaal.

just at the end of the Boer War, having been refused an entry into South Africa, Filip Dicca, native of Mostar, landed at Lourenco Marques. This ordinary, but hard-working and clever man became one of the richest people in Mocambique. Some years after his arrival in Lourenco Marques he counted among his assets a brewery, leather tanning factory, plants making sparkling mineral water and non-alcoholic drinks, an import/ export company, two cinemas and a paper factory.

After his death in 1949, he was succeeded by his brother Petar, who expanded the business by adding to it a suitcase and cardboard box manufacturing unit, an alcohol distillery plant and a large dairy business. The Diccas were major cheese manufacturers in Mocambique and at one time supplied about 12% of all milk in that country. They were also substantial landowners, major importers of wine from Portugal and held a franchise for the importing of Remy Martin (French) cognac.

From the business proceeds the Dicca Trust was formed, from which a number of students benefited as recipients of bursaries. Needless to say, other worthy causes were not overlooked either. In this way the Diccas tried to repay Mocambique for all that they had earned and gained there.

In Rhodesia at this time most of the Croatian immigrants worked as masons and builders. A few were prospectors, one bad a farm, but the number of those who worked as miners was actually small.

Perhaps a typical case was that of Frank Juretic from Grobnik near Rijeka. He first came to the Transvaal in 1897. Throughout the Boer War he served as a policeman on the Boer side. He went back home in 1901 but a few years later returned to Southern Africa. In 1912 he arrived in what used to be Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). He was a carpenter by trade but apart from working in his profession be became the owner of two gold mining claims, one in Sinoia and another in Shamwa. For Frank Juretic the future looked reasonably rosy, but unfortunately at the start of the First World War he was interned as an Austrian subject, As a result he could not perform even a minimum amount of work on his mining claims and, according to law, he lost them. He still survived and having gone through three wars in Southern Africa he died in 1946 in Ndola, Zambia. He left a son, also Frank, who became a well-known personality in Copper Belt mining circles immediately before and particularly after the Second World War.