Author Topic: Unfortunate Surnames  (Read 14494 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unfortunate Surnames
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There was a girl at my school whose name was Ruth Titball.  She was very clever & won lots of prizes, so she was always being called up onto  the stage on prize giving day. Felt dreadfully sorry for her....she changed her surname as soon as she could. I think, if I had been her mother, I'd have insisted on changing the family name....it's one thing to decide to keep it as an adult but quite another to decide for your children.

As for women getting unfortunate names when they marry, I knew a Mavis who became Mavis Pavis & a Sasha who became Sasha Asher.

I also had a job where I had to regularly liase with a department of another company where they only seemed to recruit people with names that were alliterative....the 2 I remember were Larry Lamb & Shirley Starr.  Nothing wrong with them in themselves, but it did seem odd to have an department full of them.

There also used to be a well known Nottm solicitor named Rupert Bear, but he quite enjoyed having the name & playing it for all it was worth

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As a 13 year old at school in Nottingham, my very first serious girlfriend was Valerie DAFT

We parted after our school and i often wonder what happened to her

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »

There also used to be a well known Nottm solicitor named Rupert Bear, but he quite enjoyed having the name & playing it for all it was worth

Nutwood Forest instead of Sherwood then?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
When I first left school I worked as a telephonist at the GPO.  I picked up a call from a Mr Bastard who wanted a transfer charge call.  I was so embarrassed by having to announce the call and say his name that I told him the line was engaged.  I just hoped and prayed I didn't pick the call up later.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Those are all very good ones, (note for Redroger ....almost as much as the recent footie results). Daft is a pretty common nane in Notts.....I don't know about elsewhere. There was a boy at my school named  Douglas Daft.....I don't know if people have changed that name now.

When I was working in Nottm, we had a customer with the surname of Fischbein (German for fish leg) I only had contact with him by letter, so I don't know if he was German or of German origin

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 15:08 GMT (UK) »
You mean Derby County's result in the cup? Not quite as good as what my club, Boston United did to them in round 2 of the cup in 1955, and that was at Derby!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
That & the 5:2 at the City Ground, Roger.

I think Douglas Daft's sister was named Valerie

Offline evie30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 September 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
Those are all very good ones, (note for Redroger ....almost as much as the recent footie results). Daft is a pretty common nane in Notts.....I don't know about elsewhere. There was a boy at my school named  Douglas Daft.....I don't know if people have changed that name now.

When I was working in Nottm, we had a customer with the surname of Fischbein (German for fish leg) I only had contact with him by letter, so I don't know if he was German or of German origin

No, my family have retained the surname Daft....proud of it! We live in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire but the family originally came from Hickling, Notts. There have been Daft's in Gloucestershire since at least the 1600's!!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 September 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Last name: Daft

This is an English surname which is mostly associated with the Midland counties of the country. It derives from the Olde English word of the pre 7th century "gedaeft" meaning meek or mild, and as such it was a pre Medieval personal name of some popularity.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/daft#ixzz1XfhV8jyx
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.