Author Topic: PAUL surname origins of?  (Read 14921 times)

Offline Paul47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAUL surname origins of?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:56 GMT (UK) »
For sure Dunc there is for sure some Romany that I am aware of in my family named Boswell, but I am not sure whether the Paul family just married into the Romany or not. Cheers
Andy

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 December 12 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Paul,s lineage back to 1633 using parish records he looked up whilst in Cornwall on holiday a few years back it seems her family went from using the surname Powle,Pawl and finally Paul over the years, the record from 1633 
   many thanks Dunc

I stopped to read this thread when I noticed the surname origin was being queried.  I used to live near a village called "Paull" on the bank of the River Humber in East Yorkshire and was surprised to see that a same sounding name is also a place name in Cornwall. 

I think you could have a couple of origins for the PAUL surname.  It could either be the Latin name for small or humble to describe the man when he chose a surname.  Or it could be a surname of where the first man worked or lived when surnames were handed out - the place could be "Pawl", the old name for a fort, probably one of those defensive earthen works which used to be heaped & piled up.   Below are some other dialect spellings which mean the same thing.

Pil, Pile, see Pilling ; peel, pil or fort, (a heap or pawl in Welsh.)

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BrianTony

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 01:51 BST (UK) »
This thread has wrong information on the parents of William Paul.

William James Paul parents are Robert Paul and Frances (most likely Frances Pike)

Christening
3 Jan 1863
Sithney, Cornwall, England

Marriage: 30 October 1883
Helston, Cornwall, England

Agnes Mary Boswell

Offline Helen P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if I can be any help to anybody....
My great uncle was Jimmy Paul. He was married to my Gran's sister Florence.
Firstly, in repose to the last comment... on my tree I've got Agnes Mary Boterell 1889-1951 was married to William James Paul 1862-1948. Agnes Mary was the daughter of Lily Boswell and John Boterell. She was the grandaughter of Ephraim and Ann (Granny) Boswell. Of course though, I could be wrong.
It's a little confusing as I also have  Agnes Mary Boswell 1863-1951 married to William James Paul. It seems that I may be wrong somewhere, but I guess there is the possibility there were 2 William James Pauls!
In the 1911 census my uncle Jimmy's family were listed as ''Gypsy' living in a gypsy caravan in Sancreed.' Uncle Jimmy never talked about his heritage. I never knew about it until shortly before he died. Uncle Jimmy and Auntie Florence were lovely, lovely people.
Uncle Jimmy was born William James Paul in 1921. He died in 1912. His parents were Thomas Stanley Paul born 1898 and Fiance James 1897. I believe Fiance also came from a gypsy family.
Grandparents were William James Paul 1862-1948 and Agnes Mary Boswell daughter of Ephraim and Ann Boswell. Incidentally, from what I can work out Granny Boswell was 45 when she had her first child and 51 when she had the last. I have always wondered if they were actually her children. I know that girls in the community came to her for 'help' when they were 'in trouble' and I wonder if this is why she became known as 'Granny'
Uncle Jimmy's Great grandparents= William H Paul and Mary Ann Fry. Great great grandparents John Paul and Margaret ? (Hall? Harvey?) ggg grandparents = John Paul 1790 and Elizabeth.
I have always thought the family must have originally come from the village of Paul/Mousehole, but have never proved it.
I hope this might help somebody.
Helen
PS... my research could be wrong!

Offline Helen P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Look....
There are two William James Pauls...

Births Dec 1862   (>99%)

PAUL    William James        Helston    5c   221     Scan available - click to view

Births Mar 1864   (>99%)

PAUL    William James        Penzance    5c   379     Scan available - click to view

Births Mar 1889   (>99%)
Bottrell    Agnes Mary        Penzance    5c   250     Scan available - click to view

Offline Helen P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
1911 census

Event Date   1911
Event Place   Sancreed, New Bridge S O, Cornwall, England
County   Cornwall
Parish   Sancreed
Sub-District   St Just In Penwith
Registration District   Penzance
Gender   Male
Age   49
Marital Status (Original)   MARRIED
Occupation   LISENCED HAWKER
Birth Year (Estimated)   1862
Birthplace   Helston, Cornwall
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
Line   1
Page   1
Household
Role
Sex
William James Paul   Head   M   49   Helston, Cornwall
Agnes Mary Paul   Wife   F   49   Penzance, Cornwall
Frances Ann Paul   Daughter   F   21   Helston, Cornwall
Beatrice Maria Paul   Daughter   F   20   Helston, Cornwall
Robert John Paul   Son   M   19   Penzance, Cornwall
Eliza Annie Paul   Daughter   F   15   Helston, Cornwall
Tomas Stanley Paul   Son   M   13   Scanreed, Cornwall
Manuel Gordon Paul   Son   M   12   Scanreed, Cornwall
Nelson Curner Paul   Son   M   10   Scanreed, Cornwall
Efrem Andrew Paul   Son   M   5   Penzance, Cornwall

Name   William James Paul
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1911
Event Place   Penzance, Penzance, Cornwall, England
County   Cornwall
Parish   Penzance
Sub-District   Penzance
Registration District   Penzance
Gender   Male
Age   42
Marital Status (Original)   MARRIED
Occupation   SERPENTINE MANUFACTURE
Birth Year (Estimated)   1869
Birthplace   Penzance, Cornwall
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
Line   1
Page   1
Household
Role
Sex
William James Paul   Head   M   42   Penzance, Cornwall
Annie Paul   Wife   F   42   St Just, Cornwall
Daisy Williams   Adopted daughter   F   17   Helston, Cornwall
Stephens Rogers   Lodger   M   60   St Agnes, Cornwall
Adelaide Rogers   Lodger   F   50   Brixton, Surrey

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 February 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Just reading thru some old threads from years back and still confused if my Mary Ann Paul mentioned did ever tie in with te Boswells or even if her family may of ? Still confused! 😮😀

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 April 22 17:58 BST (UK) »
Could Paul originally be Powell? The Powells used to be a large, important traveller tribe similar to the Boswells. Richard Edmunds has written a section about them in being early travellers of note. Travellers often married their own kind, so with Boswells marrying Pauls, they were probably considered important, maybe as Powells, with that knowledge coming forward as Paul. They did change their surnames to blend in with the locals; and often had several aliases.