Author Topic: Possible Emigration from Devon to Canada  (Read 20065 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Emigration from Devon to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trees,

The first one you looked at was just the Index and not the full Census.  I have noticed people being missed off on the family search site on a few occasions so that does'nt surprise me.  If you send me a pm with your e-mail address I will forward a copy for you.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 19:50 GMT (UK) »
William Henry James  Born 5 October 1855 in Hamilton, Canada Died 9 Jul 1905 in Wentworth, Ontario of Brights Disease. Married to Sophia James  born 1857 Ontario. Had 4 daughters.

Alfred Thomas James Born 3 Nov 1857 in Hamilton, Canada Died 5 August 1937 Married 11 June 1877 to Elizabeth Maginnes Born 1858 Ontario. Had a son and daughter

Elizabeth Ann James Born  9 June 1861 in Ottawa Ontario Canada Death 9 Oct 1936 in York, Ontario, Canada. Married 23 Dec 1885 to Charles Gibbs Born 1861 USA. HHad a daughter.

Edwin James Born February 22, 1863 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Death October 21, 1940 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Married Jane Ann (Jennie) Bolton. Born April 5, 1863 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Death June 22, 1945 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Had 1 son and 3 daughters. Two of the children died young - Edward  b:1891 d:1894 at age of 2 yrs, 7 months, Meningitis - Ella  (Twin Sister of Eva), b:1893  d:1900 Age 7 , Cholera Infantun.

Other Children that I have seen listed for the family:-

Lavina James 25 July 1859 in Hamilton Ontario Canada Death 25 March 1861 in Devonport, Devonshire, England.

Lavina James 15 July 1866 in Hamilton Ontario Canada Death 12 Nov 1866 in Hamilton Ontario Canada.

Emily James 21 July 1868 in Hamilton Ontario Canada Death 30 March 1869 in Hamilton Ontario Canada

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
This is all very useful many thanks I will pm you many thanks for your help.
Sarah James(nee Bale) went to Canada with her parents and several siblings and with her father's three brothers ...though they may not have all travelled together. I think she must have met and married William JAMES in Canada the first child William Henry being born in 1855 and from the 1901 census Sarah went first in 1853 she and William seem to have returned to bring his parents Peter and Ann James back to Ontario that was when the first Lavinia died. William JAMES died in 1869 in Hamilton aged just 28.The school teacher wrote a moving poem about the twin's death which was cherished by the remaining twin all her life so sad to loose a child and tragic for the little twin sister
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trees

Your most welcome.  Please let us know if you require anything further on the families.

Regards
Sandra

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Now Thomas BALE(father of Sarah( Bale) James) had four brothers who also went to Canada William(1802) John (1804) Joseph (1812) and James(1815)
so far I have found James in 1881 and his death in 1904
I know he married Mary BEER they had 5 children before she died in 1861 in Bideford but I have been told he then married her sister Elizabeth in Canada shortly after they went He is a Widower in 1871 Is there any way of finding a marriage between Thomas Bale and an Elizabeth 1861-1871 in Ontario?
I will then need to start on the other brothers so stand by for a scream for help ;D
Interestingly James was a Congregationalist while Thomas was Methodist I wonder if the older brothers were Methodist and the first three went earlier with other Church members and James followed the brothers after his first wife died.
H.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Ontario - Canada Marriages show:- James Bale. Born 1815 England. Aged 47 years. Resident in Hamilton. Married Elizabeth Sweet In Wentworth County on 5 th Sept 1862. Elizabeth was Born England and aged 49 years living in Hamilton.
Parents of James Bale were Joseph Bale and Prudence.
Parents of Elizabeth James and Mary Bur

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be the sister of Sarah Bale - Prudence Bale Born about 1844 England and aged 21 years. (Parents Thomas and Sarah) Resident in Hamilton. Married George W Partridge Aged 23 years - 20th September 1865 in Wentworth County. (Parents of George were Jesse and Elizabeth)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Prudence and George appear to be in White Bear, Ramsey, Minnesota in 1900

George W Partridge 56 Born March 1844 England. Immigrated 1866. NA. Wholesale Wall XXX
Prudence Partridge 53 Born July 1846 England. Married 1865. Had 1 child and 1 survives. Immigrated 1866
Theresa Drutschmann 20 Servant.

Also listed in 1885 St Pauls Ward 3 -

George or GW Aged  42 years - Prudence Aged 41 years and Florence Aged 5 years born Minnesota

and in 1895 - George, Prudence and Florence:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bd6/

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
George and Prudence St Paul Ward 4, Ramsey, Minnesota in 1910

George W Partridge 68 Married for 42 years.  Wallpaper Dealer.
Prudence Partridge 63 Had 1 child and 1 survives.