Author Topic: Robert keith  (Read 3908 times)

Offline longberry

• RootsChat Member
  • time is of the essence
    • View Profile
Robert keith
« on: Friday 07 January 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anything on Robert Keith who married Christina Swanson about 1860, probably in Caithness. They had a son named George
Any help greatly appreciated

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Robert keith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
the igi has their marriage on 7 jan 1836 thurso or 8 jan 1836 olrig and their son george born july 1848 thurso and christened 30 october

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
lots of swansons and keiths in olrig cemetery you might be interested in! at www.oddquine.co.uk including a george keith and margaret mcleod
click on gravestones then olrig

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline longberry

• RootsChat Member
  • time is of the essence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.Will have a look at those and see where it gets me

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
on the 1851 census at brenach, thurso: robert 40, christina 40, peter 13, catherine 8, heneratta 6, george 2, william 4 mo and on the 1861 census they also have a son robert aged 2
on the 1891 census at haimer, thurso robert ( born at bower, caithness ) is aged 80, george 41, ann 35 daughter-in-law, helen 5 and robert 3

akc

Offline longberry

• RootsChat Member
  • time is of the essence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Again, Many thanks. This is most useful.
I have a William Phimister born c 1862. He was the illegitimate son of William phimister and Christina Ross. They never married, She married a Georgeson from Shetland. My problem is that I cannot find anything on the illegitimate William,s father. Do you think you could help.?
i really appreciate what you have done for me

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I,ve found williams marriage, his death and his headstone,but cant get anywhere with his father
who was reputedly william phimister, farmer ( i could only find 1 william phimister, farmer who was married to someone else at the time. )
 on the 1871 census young william is listed as a visitor at his mothers house aged 7
christina ross,s parents were alexander ross and helen george who married in wick in 1834
william married elizabeth gunn in 1889 she died 1932 aged 76 william died 1953 aged 92 both at shepherdstown
they are buried in latheron old churchyard, you can see their headstone on the website I posted previously
 christina ross and george georgeson were married in 1868
you may already have some of this info but if anyone else is looking it may save them some time

akc

Offline buntymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello akc/longberry

This Elizabeth Gunn /William Phimster are my great grandparents, their daughter Christina Phimster  was my paternal granny. My grannies sister Katie was married to a Robert Keith. they lived in Castletown.

She also had a sister Betsy (Elizabeth)  and a brother William.

I have some similar information about Phimsters