Author Topic: Passenger lists from South Africa to UK  (Read 3306 times)

Offline bh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Passenger lists from South Africa to UK
« on: Friday 07 January 11 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I believe my grandmother lived in South Africa as a child, but don't know the exact dates ot when she came back to the Uk.  Would anybody be willing to check the incoming passenger lists for me.

Her name was Muriel Alice Harrington and she was born about 1904.  I think her father was Henry Arthur Harrington, but I do not have anymore details than that.

Thanks
Bh

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger lists from South Africa to UK
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Was she born in South Africa
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I think she was born here in Walthamstow, but I cannot find any record to prove it.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
hi bh
think this may well be her the record only has initials but if you know her date of birth that should confirm or not as the case may be .
m a harrington  born 7 may 1905 age 51
arrival date 19 nov 1956
port of departure  beira mozambique
ports on voyage durban - cape town
ships name orsova
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
me again
had a look for emigration of muriel alice  harrington and can,t see one there , these records are quite hit and miss in that a lot of people sailing have no initials just a mrs -miss-master -mr  there,s no idea of there age a lot of the time , most annoying from our point of view but better than nothing i suppose
trevor

Offline bh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trevor, but I think this is unlikely to be her.  She was back in London before 1925 as that is when my mother was born in Islington. 

The date for her birth on her death certificate was given as 14 August 1904, but that is all the info I have.

BH

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I notice that she married in 1932 - was that a second marriage?

I am wondering if Harrington was actually her birth surname or possibly a previous married name

Do you have a copy of the 1932 marriage cert

She died in 1970 as Muriel Alice Trevis

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 07:28 GMT (UK) »
hi all
using the new piece of info re back in eng by 1925 i,ve checked immigration records and no m a harringtons from sa are listed the only ones pos are either from usa or canada  also looked at emigration again from 1904 to 1925 and there are 2 records for a miss harrington both leaving in 1909 one on the 6 mar the other 11 dec  but if either of these is her if she went out how did she come back ?!!! , i,m tending to side with carole on this may be harrington wasn,t her maiden name  just looked at 1911 cen and the only muriel harrington is one in sible hedingham essex also used birth info and no m a harrington listed at all on free bmd and only one muriel a harrington on ancestry but she was born 1914 in lancs .

just as a test using just muriel alice  no surname in birth search for aug 1904 the only one i could see is for a muriel alice coleman  in the london area also by just using muriel alice and no surname and then using harrington for a spouse name in a marriage search the one that comes up is for a marriage in 1962

sorry to ramble on and confuse everyone i,m off for a lie down now i think in a darkened room  ;D, .
trevor

ps i bet carolew  sorts this out ;)

Offline bh1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, thanks for your help so far.

My mother was registered with the surname Shore, but there is no evidence that I can find that my grandmother (Muriel Alice) ever married James Roy Shore.  Her marriage certificate to Thomas Trevis shows her as a spinster and that is where I got her father's name from.

My mother says that she remembers Muriel talking about growing up in Cape Town, but cannot remember anymore details.

It is all very curious and although I have many lines of investigation, nothing is proving conclusive.

Thanks again for your help.

BH