Author Topic: Balchers, King Edward and Duncan family  (Read 9806 times)

Offline KatefromCA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Balchers, King Edward and Duncan family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 September 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Forfarian – thank you for this information re the Morrison/Duncan link.  As you can probably tell, I’m keen to investigate any snippet of information that contains even a remote possibility that it pertains to my gr-grandfather, John Morrison or even my gr-gr grandfather, William Morrison. I can trace John’s whereabouts post 1878 when he married Janet Margaret Paton at her parent’s house in Peterhead.  I have the bible given to Janet (Jessie) as a wedding gift.   I do not have the originals or copies of the census, marriage/death records and newspaper clippings, only what’s posted on Ancestry, Family Search etc.  I know that he was a gamekeeper at Forglen House, Forglen when he married and that Jessie was a servant there.  Their first born daughter was born at Forglen House iIn 1880.  In 1881 they moved to Drummuir Castle and they lived at Easterton.  Their other 4 children were born at Easteron and attended school in Botriphnie.  My grandfather was the youngest.  They were there until 1901.  John then either owned or managed the Plough Inn in Keith until his death at Turner Memorial Hospital in 1907.  All of his children immigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada just before WWI.  All of the sons fought in the war, all survived. 
On John’s marriage record (1878), it states his father was William Morrison a farmer, deceased and his mother is listed as Isabella Barron a domestic servant.  His death record names the same parents.  I, too believe that he was illegitimate and have yet been able to trace his birth record although all records that I have state he was born in Boyndie.  I don’t think that William and Isabella were ever married.  There is a record of Isabella Barron marrying an Andrew Mitchell with John Morrison being a witness but to date, I cannot confirm that it is the correct folks.  The John Morrison/ Isabella Sievwright records having a son, John Morrison confused me also, but I agree that this is not my John. 
When I saw the 1871 census with a John Morrison of the correct age, in somewhat the general vicinity, I certainly sat up and took notice.  What intrigued me was that he was listed as a farm servant which is why I was so interested.  If he was a relative of the Morrison/Duncan link, then I thought he would be listed as a nephew/cousin or something similar, not a servant.  It also intrigued me that several of the dates and names were similar to my John, so I could not let this pass by.  I do so wish my family surname was a little less common! 
Once I get a little more organized and check out a few more resources, including the ones you provided for which I thank you sincerely, I’ll look again at SP.  As noted above, I use (sometimes with caution) Ancestry as most of my maternal ancestors immigrated to the US in the 1600-1700’s most from England, Switzerland and Germany then fled to Ontario just before or during the American Revolution.  The Morrisons are my ‘new-comers’
Thanks you once again. Kate.