Author Topic: Mitrochondrial (probably spelt that wrong) Line  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Siouxzie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
Mitrochondrial (probably spelt that wrong) Line
« on: Friday 15 April 05 09:50 BST (UK) »
Having read another thread on rootschat about the project being undertaken by "National Geographic" and also read about it in this weeks New Scientist I am intrigued by this mitrochondrial line, the direct female ancestry.  Am I right in believing this is your mum's mum and hers and so on?

If you part with nearly $100 dollars they (The Genographic Project) will sample your DNA and trace your origins.  Well I havn't the money, but it got me thinking about the direct female line.

The trouble is my direct female line is the one I have the least information about.  My mother doesn't remember her Grandmother's name, her mother is alive but not with us, if you know what I mean and I have been unable to find out anything. 

I have quite a bit of info on my Mum's paternal line the James family.  Mum's grandad was Arthur James born 5th October 1890- Llantillio Crossenny, Monmouthshire.  He lived to the ripe old age of 90 and I even met him a couple of times when I was a child, he was a miner.  But he moved about a fair bit, so I don't know where he married or to who.  Havn't found the birth entry for my Nan (Lilan Maud James) either so I could find out from her birth certificate, as I don't know where she was born and as she was born 18 November 1916 she has not been subscribed on Free BMD.

Where do I go from here?
Greenwich, London-BEARMAN/JOHNSON/GREENE Barking Essex-BEARMAN
Manchester- NEWALL/Newell or variants, LOLLEY/Lolly,WALL
Shropshire- WALL
Cheshire- MADDOCK/CARTER/PERCIVAL
Windsor, Berkshire - MILES
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Monmouthshire - JAMES & MORRIS
Herefordshire- FLEET
Yorkshire- SHIPLEY & GRAY
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Wiltshire/Hampshire-WATERS
Wolverhampton area Staffordshire- ASTON
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitrochondrial (probably spelt that wrong) Line
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 05 10:38 BST (UK) »
Siouwzie,

Do you already have this?

1891 Wales census:

RG12/4342
Folio 53
Page 6

(??)Llygoro, Llantillio Crossenny 

James, William 30 Orcop, Herefordshire Head      Labourer
James, Mary 31 Michaelchurch, Herefordshire Wife
James, Elizabeth 5  Llantilio Crossenny, Monmouthshire  Daughter 
James, William A 3 Llantilio Crossenny, Monmouthshire  Son 
James, Arthur 5/12 Llantilio Crossenny, Monmouthshire Son 
James, Thomas 72 Craswall, Herefordshire Uncle    Labourer

All English-speaking.

For your Nan's birth, you will be able to find her in 1837-online http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/ (pay-per-view) or in the GRO index in any county record office - you don't need to know where she was born, just look up James in the Dec qtr of 1916/Mar qtr of 1917 if her birth was registered latish.

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siouxzie

• RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Manchester Rambler,

Thanks for that, no I didn't have it.   My James lot seemed to swap from Herefordshire to Monmouthshire a fair bit.  I have William the Dad as a boy on the 1871 Herefordshire Census, but his Dad was Monmouth born.

Not found Nan on 1837 online, have tried, but not exhaustively. I didn't know that any county office would have the GRO index for the whole of the country. Always believed I was stuck to pc research only, living as I do in Staffordshire, I have never been to Stafford record office as I have no Staffordshire people, but now I am going to look for Lilian Maud, so thanks for that info too.

Siouxzie

Shropshire- WALL
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Herefordshire- FLEET
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Offline Siouxzie

• RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 05 12:20 BST (UK) »
Back again MR,
Just noticed the Uncle Thomas James aged 72, didn't have him - he's an intriguing little puzzle for me to get my teeth in to now.  Shucks no housework gets done again today!  As I said previously William's dad Joseph was born in Llantillio Crossenny in 1838 and I found siblings for him born there too, but this one, must be a sibling of his I am assuming, is Hereford born.  What itchy feet this lot had.

Siouxzie
Shropshire- WALL
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Herefordshire- FLEET
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 05 12:29 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking for your Nan under Maud, as well as under Lilian - the number of folk who swapped their names round is incredible!  At least the combination's reasonably unusual.

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk