Author Topic: Looking for John Austin  (Read 5541 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for John Austin
« on: Friday 07 January 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
My great uncle John Austin born 1860 Blaina, South Wales, married a Annie P Carter (B1863 Salisbury), and then married a Elizabeth Gould nee Austin ( born 1877, died 13 Mar 1949 Blaina).  I found Annie P Carter with her Husband John Austin on 1891 Census at 31 St Cuthbert st, Wells, and then on 1901 Census at 21 Alma St, Abertillery.
Can anyone help me locate Annie P Carter's parents, and her death, and the marriage of John Austin to Elizabeth Gould nee Austin.  Elizabeth was orginally married to Frank Gould, so I am trying to locate his death too. 
What I am trying to find out is if Elizabeth Austin formley Gould nee Austin was a relative of John Austin.  Many thanks
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John Austin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I think I've found Annie P Carter's death (as Annie P Austin) in Bedwellty Sept 1938 11a 45, and also a marriage between Elizabeth Austin and Frank A Gould in Caerleon Mar 1943 11a 439. Do either of these seem likely?
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
are you certain about the 2nd marriage??

If the Elizabeth Austin/Frank A Gould marriage is the correct one then John Austin would be 83 when Elizabeth made her 1st marriage??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Well, stranger things have happened, but no - I'm not at all sure about the marriage, though it is the only one I could find!
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
John Austin died in 1920 in Blaina, I was told by the family that he had married his nurse.  Could Elizabeth have married John 1st before Annie Carter?  Bearing in mind that Annie was living with John Austin as man & wife 1891-1901.
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth Gould nee Austin
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Family Legend says: That John Austin married Annie Carter then married his nurse Elizabeth Gould nee Austin.  However if John Austin died in Jun q 1920 Blaina, this would not be possible, unless John 'divorced' Annie.  Annie P Carter was born c1843 in Salisbury according to 1891 & 1901 Census, and died Sep q 1938 Bedwelty.

I would like to find out if she was indeed married to John Austin, as the first wife?  I now know she married Frank Gould March q 1943 Caerleon.  I believe she was born c1877.  Could the family have it wrong and that Elizabeth was the first wife? 

John Austin and Elizabeth Austin are buried side by side in Blaina Cemetery.

Many thanks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
dates don't seem to fit!

Elizabeth would be c. 66 when she married Frank Gould

Did she die as Gould or Austin?

None of it seems to fit - do you have a marriage for Annie P Carter to John Austin??

Have you seen the graves? What dates do headstones give??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
how do you know that Annies Maiden name was Carter?

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to find John Austin in censuses prior to 1891 and in 1911 to see who he was living with? Might give you a clearer idea of who his first wife was.