Author Topic: Matilda McKinnon/Raymond/Chalmers from Oban, Scotland  (Read 14925 times)

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda McKinnon/Raymond/Chalmers from Oban, Scotland
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Just found these posts, in between me and the kids on the computer I have no continuity.  Can't wait till school holidays finished at the end of January and I get the computer to myself all day.

Thanks girls.
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy

Offline arasandkered

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda McKinnon/Raymond/Chalmers from Oban, Scotland
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 11 March 12 07:35 GMT (UK) »
A year on, by chance I entered Janet Burch into familysearch's new website.  Janet Mitchell Gilchrist married Peter Wilson in Nov 1870 at Stirling (only confirmed by familysearch.org and not scotlandspeople.gov.uk).  A daughter, Jemina Wilson was born in 1882 and Jessie and Mima, as she must have been known arrived in Canada in 1892.  [Don't know whether Peter Wilson emmigrated with them or not]

Janet Mitchell Gilchrist at 61 years married Martin Burch [75yrs] in Brighton, Michigan 1907.  Martin may also have been known as William Martin Burch b. 1832 New York State.   Janet's occupation was listed as housekeeper.  Martin passed away in 1912.  At the time of the 1930 Census, Janet was residing with Mima Seger and family in Brighton, Michigan, referred to as grandmother, age 85.  She passed away in Brighton, Michigan in either 1932 or 1935 (sorry can't remember).

Mimi, being the aunt of Jessie Gilchrist and John McKinnon's daughters, was the same age as her first born niece, Catherine Mitchell McKinnon [Raymond, Barnett].

The Livingston County Argus - Dispatch:  OBITUTARIES:  Wednesday Dec 22, 1965

MRS MIMA SEGER

Mrs Mima Seger, 83 of 375 N. Second St, passed away December 15 at McPherson Community Health Centre following a long illness.  She was born May 15, 1882 in Scotland, a daughter of Peter and Janet Mitchell Wilson.

Mrs Seger as a child came, with her mother to CANADA and shortly, thereafter moved to the BRIGHTON area where she attended and graduated from the Brighton High School on 22 June 1888.  On 7 November 1899 she was married to James Seger at St. John's Church, Sandwich, Ontario.

Mrs Seger is a member of St Paul's Episcopal Church of Brighton, a life member of Michigan Chapter No 314. O.E.S., a charter member of the Rebekah Lodge No 272 of Brighton and a charter member of the Troy Smail Navy Mother's Club No. 538.

Surviving are three sons; Harry W of Phoenix, Ariz; Fred H of Lakeland, Fla. and James V. of Brighton, three daughters Mrs Julia Van Sickle of Milford; Mrs Bernice Hern of Brighton and Mrs May B. Forrest of Brighton, 23 grandchildren and 38 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at 1.30pm Saturday from St Paul's Episcopal Church, Brighton with the Rev. Robert Eidson officiating.  Burial was in Calvary Cemetery, Brighton.

Source for the obitutary was a wonderful website: www.pinckneylocalhistory.org.  Janet Burch's death record appears in Vol 3 page 67 (1928-19480 Livingston County, Michigan.

Still not any closer to locating Matilda McKinnon but one part of the puzzle about Janet Gilchrist Mitchell solved.

Mima has descendants but won't go into that.  Sarah
Argyll - From Mull to Oban - McTavish/McGilvray/McFadyen/Carmichael/McKenzie/McIntyre/McKinnon/McDougall/McLean
Kilfinan - McLachlan & Ferguson
Angus -  Baird, Hird, Findlay & Reid
Midlothian - Marquis & Johnston
Glasgow - Hunter/Buchanan/Kennedy