Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 106504 times)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

If you need a grave look up in Benholm Kirkyard then I'm your woman! I have the pre1855 gravestone index and I am currently recording all the graves. I also have the Communion Roll Book for Benholm 1884-1895 and Farm Horse Tax records  and other snippets such as Kirk Session Records that I've come across,if anyone needs a look-up.

Old Parish Records are now available in the Kirk for visitors to do look-ups, this is thanks to rootschat member Wally Fullerton. The archives are open every day between 9 & 5.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 05 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I see you list DAVIDSONs as one of your families;  are these also in Johnshaven?
I am trying to trace the family of a Jessie Scott DAVIDSON born about 1806-8 in Johnshaven and would be interested to know whether you have any information about the family of a David DAVIDSON and Catharine SCOTT in Benholm parish.  They had a large family including a daughter Janet baptised in 1806.  I am attempting to discover whether this might be 'my' Jessie, and to eliminate a wild goose chase of my own am keen to establish whether a Janet DAVIDSON of the appropriate age was buried at Benholm between 1806 and 1834.  Do you have any details which might help?
Any polite suggestions welcome!  Many thanks.
Roz

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 05 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Roz,

My Davidsons are not from the Benholm area.

Ths Scott family were land owners in the area and benefactors to the church.

Quite a lot of the gravestones in Benholm kirkyard are listed in the pre 1855 gravestone index, if you can get someone to do a look-up for you. But, nevertheless I will check the stones for myself and get back to you if I find anything.

Jean

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline Chickpea13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 05 10:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that, Jean.
The help is much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Roz

Offline Gloriaj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 05 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,
  I'm a new member,  just joined today. after following a link for Johnshaven Cemetery. so i was surprised to find this.
 I wonder if you are still offering to look in these cemeteries?  - I'm in Australia. I'd really appreciate to get whatever details possible of my ancestors buried there; =
My 3ggrandmother , AGNES (ANN) FARQUHAR McHARDY(ie) is buried there.,she  died 10th September, 1858.
I think her husband; WILLIAM would be buried there too, but I don't have his date.
Agnes parents, ALEXANDER and ELIZABETH FARQUHAR(son) should be there too; they lived at Inverkeilor.
I'm afraid I don't have any dates for them.  Most likely between 1820 and 1840 as a guide?  when they'd be between 60 and 80 years of age...  Thank you once again for even considering this.         Gloria.

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 05 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gloria,

Which cemetery are your ancestors buried in ? Please let me know and I will take a look for you. If there is a marker I should be able to get a photo for you and of course I will take a note of any inscription.

Bye for now.
Jean :)

Craig

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 05 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I have a lot of ancestors buried in Benholm mainly McFarlanes and Youngs but I suspect they could not afford gravestones, being mainly fishermen or weavers.

What caught my eye was your interest in Ogilvie.  On a branch of my Murray line I have a Christiana Ogilvie.  She was married to Thomas Dakers in 1817 in Brechin, but I'm not sure of her birth details.  She was the mother of Ann Anderson Dakers my gx3 grandmother.

Cheers
Jim Murray

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Jim,

My Ogilvie/y ancestors hail from the Kirriemuir area. I don't have a Christiana in my tree. But, from her marriage date I suspect she was born in the 1790's, for me births of this era have been hard to find. The Ogilvie surname in Kirriemuir is very popular and unless you can find definite links then it is very hard to prove parentage. By the 1841 census, parents are deceased and brothers and sisters have moved on, so connections are proving very difficult.

Good luck with your search
Jean

Craig

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Happy New Year to you too!

Interesting to hear where the Ogilvies were congregated.

Yes I know exactly what you mean about ensuring parentage as you move back into the 1700's.  I expect you know how fruitful death certs from 1855 are and I am finding some of the parish records for births and marriages sometimes include some info on the man's residence and occasionally something about a woman's father.

Do you know the resources offered by the Aberdeen & NE  Scotland FHS - the largest in the country?

Cheers
Jim Murray