Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 107586 times)

Offline monyroads

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #216 on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:10 GMT (UK) »
hi Jean
I wondered if you could see if there is any record of a burial/ or a grave for Isobel (Bell) MILNE born in Benholm about 1800 or her husband James CRAIG born in Bervie about 1788
they lived on Fore St Johnshaven (1861 census)  and I have a possible death date for Isobel 08/11/1869
they had the following children
Joseph(1821) Susan(1823)David(1825) James (1827) Archibald(1830)sailor who moved to Liverpool
Alexander (1833)
is the family centre room  open at Benholm Kirk at the weekends?

thanks for your help
Pam

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Friday 11 January 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I'm somewhat shocked there's no Craig burials at all!

The research room is open every day 9 - 5

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Meredith Moncur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean.  I am writing from New Zealand and have hit a massive brick wall regarding my 3xgreat grandparents Eliza Mitchell who married William MCINTOSH and lived in Johnshaven from at least 1881 (Census 91 Mid Street Johnshaven) until Williams death in 1904.  Eliza died 2 October 1898 (aged 47yrs), her grandson William Stephen McIntosh died 4 Sept 1894 (aged 1yr), William himself died 10 Sept 1904 (aged 52yrs), and their daughter Lizzie Donaldson (married surname Nicoll) died 25 Dec 1919.  None of the death certificates state where they were buried but all the deaths were registered in Johnshaven.  I know I am asking a lot but I am hoping you are able to provide any information regarding any of the above.  Thank you so very much and wishing you a wonderful new year.
With warm regards,
Meredith

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Thursday 17 January 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you too Meredith,

I've checked the burials in Benholm and there's nothing I'm afraid, my guess is that they were buried in Johnshaven cemetry, burials closed in Benholm towards the end of the century. Unfortunately, the gravestones in Johnshaven have not been transcribed yet. Where did they come from before they moved to the area, perhaps they're buried there?

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Meredith Moncur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Friday 18 January 13 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean.  Thank you for your reply.  Eliza Mitchell is very easy to trace as she and her parents lived in Laurencekirk.  I can't find any birth record for William but it says on his marriage and death certs that he was born in Montrose.  It all becomes a bit of a puzzle from here on as William is boarding in Laurencekirk in 1871 census, then a daughter Williamina is born October 1871 in Laurencekirk to William and Eliza.  Somehow they married in 1875 in Blackfriars Glasgow, their next 3 children are also born in Glasgow, before they appear again 1881 census in Johnshaven where William and Eliza both remained until their deaths.  All I am aiming for is to trace further back from William but I am struggling to achieve any success!  Again thank you for helping me.  With regards, Meredith Moncur

Offline DallasM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, what a treasure you are!
 I have just read all 23 pages and see that you mention there are a lot of Morices in the Benholm kirkyard. I am looking for James MORICE who married a Bell MACHAR in 1788 and was working as a Wright in Johnshaven at the time of marriage. They had 7 children that I have found so far.
William b 1788
Jean b 1791
Jessy b 1793
Thomas and David b 1795
Mary b 1799
James b 1801
I know that James b 1801 died in Elgin in 1868, he was my gg grandfather. Are any of these other people buried in Benholm? I am having trouble finding parents for James (married to Bell Machar) altho I do have a James Morice who married Agnes Brand who may be who I am looking for.
Any help you can give would be warmly welcomed.
Thank you,
Dallas from Australia.

Offline Patricia1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Friday 22 March 13 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,
My Great Grandfather was born "House of Muirton", Benholm, Kincardineshire c1846, all according to his marriage record. Anyway, I have not found that birth record! His name is David DICKSON, the son of James DICKSON and Elisabeth SPALDING, who were married in Benholm, on 25 Jan 1845. Have you come across the Dickson surname before, and would this family be easy enough to find in the records that you have access to?

I would appreciate anything you may know, or have access to.

Kind regards,
Patricia Dickson (New Zealand)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Friday 22 March 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi noticed you had Leighton in your interest I also have Helen Leighton Strachan mother Jean Rennie

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Jean - I misplaced your contact info.  can you send again to my email address?  thanks.  will be in Benholm to visit church and cemetery on saturday the 22nd
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.