Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 106437 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #279 on: Thursday 21 January 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Could you be a bit more specific please? Names/dates/farms would be useful to identify the people you are looking for.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Thursday 21 January 21 13:47 GMT (UK) »
James Napier of Greenleys and Haremuir farms, Benholm,  1863.  Although he and wife janet Strachan are buried in kinneff (they also had Harbourshields Kinneff) I am wondering about a generation before so William Napier?  or Ann Napier? (b 1762 Chapel of Barras but again family connections may have taken her to Benholm)  I am also looking for the burial of Elizabeth Strachan b 1800 married to (Alexander) John Smith who lived in Moathill, Benholm,  in 1863.  also an Isobel Artbuthnot/t born 1744 Benholm married  James Strachan and though they lived at West Mathers farm, St Cyrus, may have had family in Benholm and therefore buried there.  I do not know their deaths. I would estimate from 1785 to the early 1800's.  thank you.   

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Thursday 21 January 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
From the published pre-1855 MIs in Benholm Kirkyard: 1850. John Smith, Gourdon, 4.1855, by his family (their mo Jane Brown 30.12.1844 79, bro Alex d inf. John Smith f[arme]r Moathill 14.5.1870 70, wid Elizabeth Strachan d Moathill 17.1.1872 71.

Nothing on any of the others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Thursday 21 January 21 16:44 GMT (UK) »
marvellous -  thanks you so much for your help.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Thursday 21 January 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have it, I strongly recommend getting the death certificate of John Smith who died in 1855. 1855 certificates contain a lot of information that was not collected in any other year, so they're a bit of a gold mine for family history.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Thursday 21 January 21 17:18 GMT (UK) »
of course!   thank you. 

Offline susanmadden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Monday 19 June 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
I wondered if you could help me. I am the archivist at Benholm & Johnshaven Heritage Hub and I am busy digitising archives and carrying out family tree research for several people. I wondered if you had access to a list of those buried in the cemetery at Benholm Church - I can recall seeing somewhere that there was such a list but cannot find it again. I intend to visit the Church to see what records are still heard there in the summer holidays and hopefully I might be able to meet up with you.
Kind regards,
Susan Madden