Author Topic: William Smith family 1796 - 1812  (Read 8675 times)

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith family 1796 - 1812
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 February 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I can not locate the message for me from 1 eye.  How can I find it ???

Offline 1eye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:23 GMT (UK) »
No worries Peedee I posted a request to look for some of my family on your thread  for Willam Smith
Valda sorted it out and moved it ,well at least I think that's what happened.
Sorry

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is the message. It was split off because there seemed no connection with 1eye's Scottish Smiths.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,515722.0.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smithresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 January 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penny,

I stumbled across your posts and joined so that I could contact you.  This is my family as well - my grandfather is Harold Cecil Smith and my great grandfather is Rupert Pruden.  I have a few specific questions.  How do I contact you?

Patricia

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 February 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

Welcome to Rootschat :D

Peedee was last here 6 Jan 2013 but will hopefully get notification of your reply and come back to respond to you on this thread.

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline smithresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 February 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jan.
Patricia

Offline Blotwulf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 August 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello all, my name is Zach Smith of Calgary Alberta, Canada. I descend from William Smith sr. via William Robert Smith; he is my 5th Great grandfather and I am wondering if anyone has found any new information regarding William's preceding generations? I see that i am rather late to this topic but I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks,

-Z
turul.serpent@gmail.com

Offline smithresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 August 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to come up with anything, even though I had a Canadian researcher look into it for me.  I've been busy and haven't done much lately.  My question to the researcher basically was whether or not WRS 's father's name was William Hart Smith, as Hudson Bay's records and most history books indicate, or did he not have a middle name, as his marriage records show.  I also tried to find out what the Pruden and Pemberton connection was.  Her suggestion was that I start by researching the surname Hart in British records, previous to the birth of WRS's father and see if a Hart married a Smith.  It would be the same with Pruden and Pemberton, I guess.  As far as WRS's siblings, from both of his father's marriages, the trail seems to dry up.

Offline BarbVH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 December 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'smithresearcher', Blotwulf, and Peedee

I think I've exchanged emails with each of you, but I still seem to be lost in finding the correct ancestors of William (Robert) Smith (1797, Lambeth).  There are many leads but each follows different possibilities.

First, William Robert's father was just 'William', not 'William Hart'. Second, WR's father was associated with the Company of Paviors as a 'gardener' and received his 'Freedom of the City' acceptance in May of 1805, and became a "Gentleman".  On that document he notes that his father is "William of Peckham, labourer".  However, finding records for someone named 'William Smith' who was labourer in Peckham, Surrey is rather difficult. But I'm still looking!

Also, rather than focusing on the name 'Hart', I think we should focus on the name 'Pemble'.  William Robert gave several of his children the second name of Pemble, but no one can understand why given that HBC has no record of a 'Pemble' working for them.  In fact, WR's first son who died as an infant around Lesser Slave Lake c. 1818, was the first child to be given the name 'Joseph Pemble Smith'.

So all I have to offer is that I 'finally' found a marriage record for "William Smith, widower, and Mary Pemble, spinster" in 1782 in Kent.  If anyone would like to see it, send me an email - barb.vanhaute@gmail.com