Author Topic: Stewart and Young hawker families  (Read 17184 times)

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart and Young hawker families
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 February 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that rob g, totally understandable that you have to live your life sometimes not telling people your true identity because of the prejuduces that are there, very sad and I feel a loss for everyone as non gypsy people would learn alot form romany gypsy life. I hope you will be around if i need some more help tracing my family 
jo x

Offline Jackie M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just picked up your posts.  I'm from the Miller family still alive and well in Cumbria!  Hillgell - the Nancy Stewart you mention is one of the realtives of ours.  We are connected the the Youngs, Stewarts and Morrisons as well as the Millers - all Hawkers, tin smiths and dealers from the West of Cumbria.

Pleased to hear the site in Carlisle still has a few of our relatives.  Heard about the site at a family funeral in the Isle of Man recently and found some old photos of our family on the site.

It'd be 'barie' to hear from any kin!

Miller, Lowther, Camm, Stewart, Whitehaven, Cumberland

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie M - Great to hear from you...i have spent the last few nights trawling family search sites to trace back the Millers......Im in work now and left all my notes at home but the name Jacob Miller is my gggrangfather and possible a Jacob Miller is his father too...does this name ring any bells to you...my great great grandfather was a George Miller and agian i have the details at home poss p.o.b would be Cockermouth, Cumberland?

regards

Jo

Offline Jackie M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

Nice to hear from you.  I've got a few days off work so thought i'd pick up the family tree.  We've got quite a few Jacob Millers but no George Millers that i've come across yet.  We have cousins still living in Cockermouth who are Young's so we can ask about.  Let me know when you have your notes and we can do some digging.

Jackie

Miller, Lowther, Camm, Stewart, Whitehaven, Cumberland

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jackie M,
I will get all my bits n pieces together and see if there is any connection...Its hard to find info on the women in the family tree as I can never trace their maiden names or very rarely. Our relatives could be cousins  if we make the right connection......my Young relatives seemed to have been based in or around Hexham, North. Looking forward to hearting more and finding out more ...
Jo x

Offline Hillgell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob, Jo and Jackie (the numbers grow!)

First of all, Rob, thanks for all of your background info.  Didn't know there were different knds of Romanies-thought they were all Roma.  Like Jo's, my family are the dark-skinned, dark haired types.  My Dad had lovely dark curly hair when young, and people often think I'm from the Mediterranean.  One more thing my Dad said about his grandmother, don't know if it's a Romany thing, but she knew how to lay out the dead, and was often asked to do so by neighbours.

Jo, I will look more into John Young next week, when I'm on holiday (I'm a teacher).  I got distracted by my husband.  He was fed up of me researching my family tree and asked me to start his and it's just got to the interesting stage!

Jackie, it would be great if we were connected.  My Nancy was born in Cockermouth in Dec 1878, her mother Sarah Young likewise in 1852.  Charles Stewart was born in Ulverston in 1851.  Unfortunately there was another Charles Stewart from Ulverston, about the same age, married to a Sarah with a daughter called Nancy, but they settled in Kendal, whereas my lot including Sarah's parents and some brothers moved down to Blackburn.

Would be grateful for any more info.

All the best, Hillary

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Jackie M -
I was just reading back over this post and realised you have Miller connections!!....My Great Grandmoher was Rachel Miller bron in Carlise 1892 and married my Great Grandfater John T Young from Hexham Norhtumberland in 1915. Found all this out just recently as my Grandfather left the area for London in the 1950's and never returned.

Miller Jacob Age 30 b Cumberland - Penrith Occupation (General Dealer)
Miller Mary Ann Wife 26 B Lancashire
Miller Ann dau 8 b Cumberland - Cockermouth
Miller George (my gg grandfather???) 4 born Cumberland - Carlisle
Miller William 2 born cumberland - carlisle
Miller Jacob 5 months old born in Scotland.

this is a record from 1861 Census....I was just wondering do any of the names look familiar or do you have any info on the these Millers?  They may well my Rachel's fathers family but im not sure, there is another record which could possibly be it!
Ill try dig that out and paste in here in a bit...found it

1891 for Rachels parents
16 Jane Street Caldegate
George Miller   28 general hawker
Mary J    26
Richard    8 scholar
John W    2
George H one month
all born Carlisle except Mary Jane b. Brampton

Rachel hadnt been born yet so think this might be the gang as the ages and occupations add up
Im finding it difficult to find any traces?

Hope you can shed some light....

Jo

Offline Hillgell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 March 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you are all out there, but I've been doing some more work on my family.

I followed up my Youngs, but couldn't see a connection to Jo's, but I also sent off for my gt gt grandmother Sarah Stewart (nee Young's) birth cert, and guess what-her mother was Jane Miller before she got married! 
Checked on the IGI and found her christening at Kirkbride nr Cockermouth, father Jacob Miller.  Was there a Romany camp at Kirkbride??
Has anyone else found anything?

Best wishes,
Hillary

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just picked up your posts.  I'm from the Miller family still alive and well in Cumbria!  Hillgell - the Nancy Stewart you mention is one of the realtives of ours.  We are connected the the Youngs, Stewarts and Morrisons as well as the Millers - all Hawkers, tin smiths and dealers from the West of Cumbria.

Pleased to hear the site in Carlisle still has a few of our relatives.  Heard about the site at a family funeral in the Isle of Man recently and found some old photos of our family on the site.

It'd be 'barie' to hear from any kin!

Hi Jackie

My G,Great Grandfather was from Kendal and lived around Carlisle. His name was Joseph Moorhead and he and his full Family were all Hawkers and lived around Carlisle 1840s-1900s. On the census reports they were all living around Rigg Street. Do you know if any "Moorheads" are still living around this area that might be decendants??

Kind Regards

Garry