Author Topic: Helena Friese-Greene  (Read 24934 times)

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helena Friese-Greene
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 January 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
It is an honour to know you, Rebecca. I should like to know two facts: Helena's place of burial and, if possible, her true nationality, please? Any knowledge I possess I will be very happy to give.

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
William Friese-Greene was living in Cliff Road ,Dovercourt.
William Edward Green was born on 7 September 1855, in Bristol. In 1869 he became an apprentice to a photographer named Maurice Guttenberg. By 1875 he had set up his own studios in Bath and Bristol, and later expanded his business with two more studios in London and Brighton. He married Helena Friese on 24 March 1874, and decided to modify his name to include her maiden name. from 1897 to 1904 he lived at 5 Cliff Road, Dovercourt Having moved from London with his second wife Edith and two young children in January 1897,

Offline KateSchweikle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 February 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Her place of burial is:

Fulham Palace Road Cemetery
Fulham
Greater London, England
Plot: Area 9A, Row F, No.108

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone knows any personal information about the first wife of the famous Victorian photographer and inventor, William Friese-Greene? Although she was always called Helena her actual birth names were Victoria Mariana Helena Friese. Her father was apparently a German Baron. In particular, I would be most grateful to know about her date of birth, date of death and where she is buried?
Some info on my website about William
http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/famous-people-local-characters/

Offline curonianspit2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 April 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Rebecca. I am William Freise Greene's Great Great Great Granddaughter from his marriage to Helena. Ethel is my Grandad's Grandmother and talks of her often also she helped give information for the book by Ray Allister which is a biography of William and his work (A Close Up Of An Inventor). We are trying to find out information on the Family(The family tree). We have Helena's death certificate and other information. It would be good to exchange information and help out where we can.
Regards
Beckie.

Hi Beckie, it would be good to know more about your line. I am descended William/Claude/Anthony, and am in touch with many other Friese-Greenes. We have a comprehensive tree, but you are not on there!

Offline Timothy Pike

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 February 22 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information a colleague of William’s son Claude - Roland Humphery. According to the 1921 census, Roland and Claude were living together. They also jointly hold a US patent for color cinematography. I know Roland owned The London Bridge Hotel and the New Hibernian Lodge.  I am curious as to whether there are any living relatives. Thanks in Advance for any information.

Offline April2023

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 19 December 23 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Valda, I have found your useful entries on the Friese-Green(e)s. I have a couple of questions. What do you mean by
[see T.G. Willaway]
in

"Friese-Green, William [see T.G. Willaway] 1882 - Richmond Terrace, Clifton 1885 - 15 Royal Promenade 1886 - no advertising until 1881 - Richmond Terr, Queen's Road. 1896 - Green Friese, Simpson & Co, Queen's Road."

Can anybody clarify: Why was she called “Helena”, or "Lena"? 
According to my German sources, her baptismal name was Victoria Marianne Friese, and she had no sisters called Eda and Clara (as you indicate in the census for 1881). I know from your forum that she had visited a relative in Bristol whose name was Daniel Josty who had daughters called Ida [Eda?] and Clara (but they were born in the late 1870s, so they could not be in their 30s, as it says in the census). They would have been Willy´s and Mrs Friese's (half)nieces.                           Thank you!