Author Topic: Armstrong-Blair Marriage circa 1841  (Read 18759 times)

Offline Pilgrims Progress

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong-Blair Marriage circa 1841
« on: Monday 10 January 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi From Down Under,   :D

Would any kind person assist with a marriage record of Robert Armstrong who married Margaret Blair around 1841.

This couple had five children Isabella c 1843, James c 1845, Robert c 1846, William c 1848 and Mary Ann  c 1852.

The marriage and births of these children are believed to have taken place in the vacinity of Dromahaire, Leitrim. The family appear to have been protestant.

An application by  "a" Robt Armstrong to register to vote in 1845 lists his address as Gortnalbrit, Dromahaire, Leitrim.

I'd be delighted and very grateful if any person would be able to help trace this family in any way,

Many thanks,

Pilgrims Progress  :D

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong-Blair Marriage circa 1841
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I don't know if this is of any help, but here goes.  On the website www.brsgenealogy.com there is a marriage in Leitrim 1841  for Margaret Blair/Robert Armstrong.  It will costs you Euro 5 to view the complete record.  It looks like most of the children's births are there as well.

Madri

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Madri,  :)

Thank you recommending this most helpful site. I have already located marriage record and death record of this couple. Pity it is soooo expensive for each record. Maybe I have been too spoilt by Scotlands People or our NSW, Australia free indexes that contain more certain clues. Will have to save up to research the Armstrongs in Ireland any further.

Many thanks for helping- it is much appreciated,

Pilgrims Progress  ;)  :)

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pilgrim.  I am aware of the expense of the site, and although I have not bought too many records, it has got me info I needed. The site is not complete of records and I feel where there is more than one name on the same date/year and County, it is very difficult to pick out the correct family.  I did contact them and point it out and I know others have done the same.  They know there is no other place to search and not all of us can go to Dublin and spend days on end searching, so it doesn't really bother them. - it's guaranteed cash I'm afraid.
Happy searching.

Madri

Offline Berlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pilgrim,

I may be able to help you here. I am living in Dromahair. My husband is the great grandson of William Armstrong, born 1848.  I have loads of information which I have dug out about the Armstrongs, including some sousins in America which I turned up last year. I'm in the process of trying to get to view the old Church of Ireland records here, if I can get get the current custodian to grant me access. I'd be happy to share what I already have.

Berlin
Myers, Webb and Cusack: Co. Cork
Monaghan: Co. Meath
O'Sullivan: Co. Kerry
Linnane and Kelleher: Co. Galway
Coyle and Grimes: Co. Kildare

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Berlin,

This is absolutely fantastic news! Thank you soooo much. I'd love to hear from you again to learn more,

Pilgrims Progress   :D  :D  :D 

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berlin,
You may be a livesaver for me. My great grandfather Adam Armstrong was born Aug. 5,1836 in Dromahair (the firstborn). They were CofI. His father Robert Armstrong was born June 1,1808, town not known. His wife was Margaret Eccles, born Sligo 1814. They left Ireland in 1846 or 1847 for North Gower, Ontario, Canada (just south of Ottawa). Five children on voyage were in birth order - Adam, Wiliam Eccles, Archibald, Isabella, Robert Lewis. Not known if these four were born in Dromahair or elsewhere in Ireland. Other children born in Canada were Elizabeth, Annie Eccles, John, Maria, Sarah Jane, James Eccles. Lots of names repeat in later generations - Adam, Christopher, Robert, Isabella. We did not have any Simons, Patricks or Thomases, from Robert's (1808) children born from 1836 on down.  Does this link up with anything you have? Had friends visit Dromahair two summers ago, did a bit of looking. Got Manorhamilton phone number of minister for the church, also a local merchant volunteered to help, but I have not followed up. I feel you may be the best source. Thank you.

Offline Berlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 December 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi North Gower,

Your information is very interesting. Your Armstrongs seem different to mine. As far as I know there were 2 families of Armstrongs in Dromahair, although I'm sure they would be linked if we looked back far enough, Dromahair being such a small place. Some names also seem common to both, e.g. Isabella, Robert. I haven't yet been able to look at the Church of Ireland records, but will get on the case again over the Christmas holidays. I'll dig about for anything I can find on Armstrongs and let you know what I find. Are you on Ancestry.com? All my information is on there, under the username bermc.
Myers, Webb and Cusack: Co. Cork
Monaghan: Co. Meath
O'Sullivan: Co. Kerry
Linnane and Kelleher: Co. Galway
Coyle and Grimes: Co. Kildare

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berlin,
Just a quick note tonight before bedtime. Thank you so much for answering so promptly. I do not have ancestry.com, but may use a friend's account periodically to check things out. Our genealogies have seemed rather complete, given the places we have to look, how far back we have already gone, and the surviving records in those places.

Small lacunae and large brick walls have defeated further archival research. But Scotlands people, the online Irish records and help from folks on Genforum, etc. have helped tremendously.

Using the reconstituted Irish records now on the web, knowing for sure that my ggf was born 1836 in Dromahair gave me a new starting point and there he was. I was pretty certain that some of the records I saw there might be his grandparents and earlier. I guess I needed some enouragement.

One gentleman near here had online info about Armstrongs (with many common first names to our group) from Manorhamilton, which I could see was nearby. He assured me that no Armstrong from Manorhamilton could possibly be related to those from Dromahair. Funny - I thought it seemed promising to pursue, since he too was against a brick wall. In any event,....

You have quite a bit of my basic info to consider as you pursue things a bit more. Robert Armstrong was a farmer here, his son Adam also a farmer, but reknowned as a great barn builder (his from the 1860's still stands in magnificent condition), his house also.  He built one church, and a residence for one of his daughters. Did he learn this from his father? 

As I sit here, I have several recent  photos of Dromahair taken in 2009 by inlaws on a special sidetrip for us. Two of the church, one of its sign, five of Armstrong headstones in the cemetery, one of a green sign that says "Welcome to Dromahair, Seat of the O'Rourkes, Lord of Breifne", and one of the main street, on a slight downhill slope.

I shall look at your Ancestry info. Please let me know what else you find, or wish to know.

I am able to give you one more surprise. I read the fine print on your latest post more carefully, and saw the other families you are working on. My wife is a Grimes. Her great-great grandfather Thomas b. abt. 1801 and wife Mary Carroll b.abt. 1806, each born Ireland, no more place info.  Son named Michael b. abt. 1838 Ireland and Thomas b. abt 1843. They all seemed to come to Canada together. The two Thomases were shoemakers, here at least.

A Grimes genealogist in Ottawa did extensive work on his great grandfather Michael Grimes and Michael's brother John Grimes. In doing it he came upon my wife's line. All his uncles assured him their two families were not related to ours. But, when Thomas (1801) arrived, he immediately took up residence for a  few years in the village of Navan, Ontario 25 miles east of Ottawa, where the John Grimes family had been farming for a few years already. Next decennial census, the Thomas Grimes family is living in Chelsea, Quebec, 10 miles north  across the Ottawa River from the City of Ottawa. Chelsea is where Michael Grimes had been farming already, for a few years too.

John Grimes had his mother ( and the mother of Michal of Cchelsea) living with his family in Navan. Our Thomas, Michael and John were of very similar ages (The drive today from Navan, Ontario in to Ottawa, on to Chelsea is today a delightful drive of less that an hour. Back then, it would have been a very, very tough trip by horse or wagon and ferry. Navan and Chelsea are still small villages, Ottawa is a big city).

When Thomas Grimes' wife Mary died in Chelsea in 1862, one of the witnesses was Michael Grimes, but which Michael? Son, or brother-in-law? And, we have never proved Thomas' son Michael really existed, we go only on someone else's research on his existence, which we have not duplicated.

The genealogy of Michael Grimes of Chelsea is called "The Descendants of Michael Grimes - from Tipperary to Chelsea." We do know from our research that Grimes was not very common in Tipperary in the early 19th century.

My wife's father and aunt also maintained they had been told they were not related to these other two Grimes families and descendants, in the area. There seem to have been too many coincidences. Were these three men brothers, cousins or friends? To make it worse, the late author of that genealogy was the spitting image of an older cousin in my wife's family - so close, it was uncanny. Of course, now that we learn more, that older generation has passed and we no have no one to question but ourselves.

I guess some of my own family is from Monahan or Clare - great-great- grandparents born there about 1820, their children born in Dumbarton, Scotland.

I'll close for now.