Author Topic: East Holborn, South Shields  (Read 3953 times)

Offline paulr_1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Holborn, South Shields
« on: Monday 10 January 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi - In the 1871 census, an ancestor is working as a general servant at what I believe to be the Cumberland Arms, East Holborn, South Shields. I have managed to find East Holborn on old maps and current day maps but would like to know if anyone has information / pictures of the area, in particular the Cumberland Arms? The licensee looks to be a Sarah L. Lewthwaite, for whom my ancestor was working. Many thanks in advance for any assiatance with this!
Appleby (Co. Durham), Bainbridge (Northumberland & Co. Durham), Batey (Houghton-le-Spring), Brotherton (South Shields), Butchart (Angus/Forfar & Sunderland), Fairless (South Shields), Graham (South Shields), Kirtley (Sunderland & area), Kitching (Westmorland), Mallinson (Westmorland), Pattison (Sunderland), Pickthall (Westmorland & Co. Durham), White (Co. Durham), Parker (Co. Durham), Robson (Sunderland & area), Walls (Co. Durham)

Offline kenann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: East Holborn, South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
I have just registered on Roorschat  - my great great grandmother was Sarah L Lewthwaite and I could possible help you with info but I am not sure what to do, can you help?
kenann

Offline paulr_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kennan - I have found my ancestor, Elizabeth Brotherton aged 17, working as a general servant for Sarah L. Lewthwaite in 1871. Do you also have this information? I have managed to follow Elizabeth through all the relevant census returns and would now like to know more about her life. So, any additional information on Ms. Lewthwaite or the Cumberland Arms / area would be great, as I have only a basic understanding of the area.

Appleby (Co. Durham), Bainbridge (Northumberland & Co. Durham), Batey (Houghton-le-Spring), Brotherton (South Shields), Butchart (Angus/Forfar & Sunderland), Fairless (South Shields), Graham (South Shields), Kirtley (Sunderland & area), Kitching (Westmorland), Mallinson (Westmorland), Pattison (Sunderland), Pickthall (Westmorland & Co. Durham), White (Co. Durham), Parker (Co. Durham), Robson (Sunderland & area), Walls (Co. Durham)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi kenann
Welcome to RootsChat  :)
You probably know that in the 1890 Directory, Mrs. Sarah Lawson Lewthwaite, is still shown as the licensee of the Cumberland Arms, 108 East Holborn, and in the 1894 Directory she is shown as a victualler at the Middle Dock Hotel, West Holborn.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan

thankyou for your message.  I believe Sarah Lewthwaite had the Licence for the Middle Dock Hotel from 14 Dec 1892, she died 25 Dec 1908 and then her daughter Sarah L Cockburn had the licence from 10 Feb 1909 to 8 Apr 1926.

Anne

Offline Sarah0511

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in learning more about two people who used to live with Sarah Lewthwaite in 1882. Mary McAuliffe and Henry White. Seemingly they both met there and subsequently got married, Mary a servant, Henry a boarder, but I'd love to know more. I am a descendant of Mary and Henry. Thank you.