Author Topic: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire  (Read 19010 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a few Ballantine/Ballantynes in my daughter's tree. They are from the three town's area and including Annabella and Campbell Ballantine.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Alison Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 February 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Do you know of any Ballantines from Furnace Row in Bo'ness?  My Great Gran was Sarah Ballantine and had 3 sisters, Eliza, Jane and Mary.  Her mum was Mary Ann (m.n McKnight) and her father Thomas.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
I have Thomas Ballantine born 1806 Airdrie, Lanarkshire married Susannah Strachan 1829 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. I'm descended from the Strachan line so haven't done much research on the Ballantines.

Thomas and Susannah Ballantine had a large family and were a coal mining family. Their son John Ballantine, born 1836 Kilmarnock, migrated to Galt, Canada and helped form a company which eventually became part of one of Canada's largest companies. A daughter married John Ross, who became a marine engineer in London. Not sure what happened to their other children.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline AReid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 July 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Dear E. Niven,

My name is Aaron Reid,  I am a distant relative of yours through the Ballantine family line.

My father is currently writing a book on the history of our Ballantine family line and there is a section in the book detailing the historical connection between the Ballantine's and the Niven's.

My father has asked if I could try to contact you to ask if you would like him to send you a copy of this book when it is completed which will be within the next 2 months or so.

Thank you.

Best wishes
Aaron

Offline CandMllsp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi!
     I have a GG Grandma Mary Ballentine b. 1833, Scotland parents were a John Ballentine and her mom was Isabel Campbell. She married John Anderson Millsop b. 5 Aug 1825, St. Quivox Parish, Scotland. And that's all I've been able to find out. I do have John's parents and siblings if needed. The Ballentine children and Mary's siblings were: John Campbell Balentine b. 7 Aug 1836, Muirkirk, Quinten Campbell Ballentine b. 5 Nov 1838, Muirkirk, Jean/Jane b. 8 Jan 1841, Paisley, Ann b.15 Jan 1848, Scotland. If you can find Mary's POB and her exact DOB that would be great! Thank you in advance!
Candace

Offline susan niven

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gordon, My x sister in law was mistaken. My father was  William Seton Duys Niven adopted by his aunt Susan Wallace Niven Nee Gordon. His mother was Adele Gordon Duys who died of a breast infection when he was two. My father and my mother, Jeanne Skinner Niven had four children. William Seton Niven, Susan McKay Niven, Wendy Wallace Cross and John Ballantine Niven who died in the South Tower on 9/11. I do have records and pictures of your blood relatives that I would be happy to share. All the Best, Susie

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Ballantyne/Lambie of Mearns via son James.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my family-history for over 30 years and the one line on which I have never made any progress is Ballantyne.

I know that my 4 x great-grandparents Thomas Welsh and Jean Ballantyne were married in Glasgow in 1795. Thomas was a soldier in the 7th Regiment of Fencibles, the "Hopetoun Fencibles", and I believe he was from Roxburghshire.

Jean is described in the marriages register as "Residenter in Glasgow", which just means that she lived there, but of course she may well have been a native. The only possible birth I've found at the right time in Glasgow (I can't remember the date offhand) is a Jane or Jean born to James Ballantine and Christian McGregor. I have never been able to find this couple's marriage.

Harry

I've done a bit more research on my Ballantynes in Glasgow. The name is spelt every which way in the OPRs but I'll stick to Ballantyne for convenience.

Firstly, James Ballantyne was one of the famous Calton weavers, in the Barony parish in Glasgow. He and his wife Christian McGregor were the parents of James(1761), Angus(1764), Cristian(1768) and Jean(1775). Cristian is described as the 4th child so there's one missing.

Angus would have been very much a Highland name at that period, so I wonder if James Ballantyne's wife Christian McGregor was the child of that name born in 1734 at Dull in Highland Perthshire to Donald McGregor and Christian BALLANTINE? Given the tendency of Scots to marry cousins, could James Ballantyne and Christian McGregor have been cousins from Perthshire who married and moved down to Glasgow to find work?

Harry

Offline JJ1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for anyone who has been researching the Ballantyne / McKenzie families from Glasgow.
I have seen a number of posts which I believe are connected to my relatives.  My gggrandfather was Alexander McKenzie, born in Glasgow who later lived in Liverpool.