Author Topic: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire  (Read 19007 times)

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 April 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
Although my interest is more in Rutherfords, one of my extended family did marry a Margaret Thomson Ballantine in 1913 in St Giles, Edinburgh and she passed away (to the best of my knowledge) in 1967 in Monkton and Prestwick(?), Ayrshire. I would be interested if anyone knows anything about her life after 1915 (the year her husband died).
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline BallentineRose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 May 16 05:25 BST (UK) »
I am descended for George Ballentine (1635-1702?). I am looking for relations within the Lanarkshire area with information of the Ballentine family history.

Offline William Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 July 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
This is just a message to say that I would be most interested in any records of the Gordon family mentioned by the two members of the Niven family that posted earlier. I believe that this family is related to the Gordons of Holm and Craig, which is in turn related to the family of Gordon of Lochinvar. The Viscountcy of Kenmure  was held by the Lochinvar branch, and has been dormant - but not extinct - since the death of the last Viscount in 1847. I would be willing to share my own research into this family.

Offline LindaVT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 May 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for any information about the Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire. Recently found new links to James Ballantine b.1795 Kirkoswald, d. 1873 Glassford. Many questions how James' son George b.1827 in Ireland, d. 1865 in Fayston,VT USA.(my direct line)

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 May 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
James Ballentyne and Sarah ?? had a son Robert in 1867 in Scotland - the son went to Canada - does that match anyone ??
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Stirling and Glasgow
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Greetings!  None of the posts have mentioned the Ballantynes I'm looking for, so hope someone may have some info.  I'm looking for Caroline Ballantyne b ca 1795, possibly Drymore, Stirling parish.  Her parents were John Ballantyne, possibly merchant in Ayrshire married to Janet M'Lord.  Caroline's death cert says her mother was Janet MacKxxx (illegible).  Perhaps the two Janets are one and the same.

Caroline married Hugh Lundie in 1836 in the Gorbals.  After his death (or maybe before!), it looks like  she reverted to Ballantyne surname and if so was in Glasgow in 1861 and Partick in 1871, living first with her daughter  Caroline now Thomson, wife of tea merchant, and later with her nephew James Harris, master shoe maker.  Died 1874.

Any clues gratefully received!

Offline Jean Fawcett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 December 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I am from Ballantynes of Lethanhill, muirkirk and going back to Lanarkshire.
Fawcett, Lenaghan, Lenachan, McLarty

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Stirling and Glasgow
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 December 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Greetings!  None of the posts have mentioned the Ballantynes I'm looking for, so hope someone may have some info.  I'm looking for Caroline Ballantyne b ca 1795, possibly Drymore, Stirling parish.  Her parents were John Ballantyne, possibly merchant in Ayrshire married to Janet M'Lord.  Caroline's death cert says her mother was Janet MacKxxx (illegible).  Perhaps the two Janets are one and the same.

Caroline married Hugh Lundie in 1836 in the Gorbals.  After his death (or maybe before!), it looks like  she reverted to Ballantyne surname and if so was in Glasgow in 1861 and Partick in 1871, living first with her daughter  Caroline now Thomson, wife of tea merchant, and later with her nephew James Harris, master shoe maker.  Died 1874.

Any clues gratefully received!

The marriage with different surname spelling:

BALLANTINE CAROLINE HUGH LUNDY/FR1270 (FR1270) 19-11-1836 644/2 70 180 Gorbals

Although I can’t see Caroline’s birth there is a Jean born in Gorbals with parent John and Jane McEwen

BALLANTINE JEAN JAMES BALLANTINE/JANET MCEWEN FR321 (FR321) F 10-5-1807 644/2 10 308 Gorbals

Are you able to post a snippet of the mother’s surname you are unable to read?
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jean Fawcett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I’ve got a Janet Scot, Grizel Lyn, Christian Todd. That’s takes us to 1665.
No Caroline, sorry
Fawcett, Lenaghan, Lenachan, McLarty